RTP Spokesman: Tourists DO NOT Need To Carry Passports

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

RTP Spokesman: Tourists DO NOT Need To Carry Passports

Post by phuketrichard »

this has been batted back and forth now for years,

so heres the answer;
BANGKOK: -- Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman for the Royal Thai Police, has said tourists DO NOT need to carry passports at all times.

His comment came when he was responding to the recent tourist shakedown reports in various media outlets over the past month. He stated that if asked to show their passports, tourists can produce their documents at a later time if necessary.

With his clarification, Mr Thawornsiri brings an end to an expat point of argument spanning years relating to the need to carry a copy, the original or nothing at all.
http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/rtp ... rts-times/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: RTP Spokesman: Tourists DO NOT Need To Carry Passports

Post by wackyjacky »

Really, how could they compel you to do this if you didn't have a PP photocopy w/your particulars to copy down ? How could they expect you to show up at Thonglor Police Station or wherever ? Do they "later" drive you to your residence to have a peek ? I got targeted once, maybe 4 years ago near Emporium. They took the copy and went through my backpack & wallet. At the time I read they were shaking down farang for carrying drugs w/no prescription, like Kamagra, Valium, & Codeine - all of which were readily available in Pharmacies with out one.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

The junta is failing in its opportunity to stamp out grass roots police corruption across the board. Time is of the essence while it controls the reigns of power and there appears to be little will to blitz it but only to plug the holes exposed by international media for face saving superficial window dressing. Why did I think it would be otherwise, business as usual. I was thinking of staying in that area in February but why risk the potential hassle.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

But how many times do people have to be told the same thing before they feel assured? 8)

No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747 ... commander/
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

[T]his has been batted back and forth now for years,
It's only an issue in Thailand, which is the only country in the region that has these sorts of issues, for some reason.

In this, the Information Age, there's no excuse for not being informed. If you choose to live or travel in Thailand, then be prepared to suffer the consequences: scams, rip-offs, harassment, accidents, crashes, shootings, rapes, murders...

So, here's the answer:

Don't even think about going to Thailand. Then, as the "Bangkok Immigration Commander" says, "No need to worry". :good:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

scams, rip-offs, harassment, accidents, crashes, shootings, rapes, murders...
what countries does NOT have these

I feel far safer here than anywhere in the Philippines
or parts of most major cities in the world
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Other than the usual typhoons/tropical storms, what have been the major stories coming out of the Philippines this year?

Any coup d'etat/martial law/military rule by junta?

What are the names of the last 5 tourists/expats that were murdered or shot or washed ashore?

Any tourists killed or injured in sinking boats or bus crashes?

What are the scams that tourists need to watch out for?

Which areas are well known as places where police conduct unlawful searches?

Do they have Filipino-ness there?

How many times a day do they publicly played the national anthem?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

^ A quick scan of Harry the Horse's Angeles City monthly website would probably give you very good answers on scams, murders and nefarious police corruption that happen on a regular ongoing basis. I would say it gives Thailand a very good run for its money in that respect.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

The major cities in the PI I've been to in the PI are easily 5X more dangerous than BKK, CM, etc. There's no comparison.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

feel safer in any other city in Asia than i have ever felt in manila the ONLY city, in over 46 years of traveling a group of kids tried to pick pocket me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic