Need some advice about Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Need some advice about Cambodia

Post by Phnom Poon »

Graham_Smith wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:56 am
Sweet Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 am This complaining about rude Thai bureaucrats and 100 pages of paperwork to keep your status in Thailand all seems like just an excuse for you to move away from your wife.
Haha - I can assure you that's not the case!
so how often do you plan to visit?
and you're looking for cambodian 'company'?

monstra mihi bona!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Go here - you can live chat - they speak English

https://www.ababank.com/savings-account/

For foreigners

Be at least 18 years old;
Bring​ original​ and​ valid​ Passport​ and​ any​ document​ that​ proves​ your​ residential​ status1;
Complete our Application form.

1 Proof of residence includes the followings:

One-time​ visa​ or​ multiple​ visas​ with​ consecutive​ 182-day​ stay​ or​ more​ from​ one​ visa​ to​ another;​ or
House​ rental​ contract​ (hotel​ bill)​ indicating​ at​ least​ 6-month​ tenor,​ or
Proof​ of​ employment​ (employment​ contract,​ certificate​ of​ employment,​ or​ business​ license​ for​ self-employed)​ indicating​ at​ least​ 6-month​ employment.
Graham_Smith
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Graham_Smith »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:09 pm
and you're looking for cambodian 'company'?
Well if my wife isn't coming, I will need a mia noi, as per Thai culture.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

question for anyone
I want to open a bank account in April when i head up,
In April i want open account but will be n a tourist visa, am moving up in July when will get the ordinary visa/extension.
Can i just get my gf's sister to write up a rental contract saying i am renting from her and staying at their home ?

Does it have to be a form rental contract or can we just write something up?
anyone have a form in Khmer thye can send me?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:39 pm question for anyone
I want to open a bank account in April when i head up,
In April i want open account but will be n a tourist visa, am moving up in July when will get the ordinary visa/extension.
Can i just get my gf's sister to write up a rental contract saying i am renting from her and staying at their home ?

Does it have to be a form rental contract or can we just write something up?
anyone have a form in Khmer thye can send me?
I opened a bank account with ABA 3 months ago after getting thoroughly annoyed with what used to be ANZ. I needed to show an official rental contract, duly fingerprinted and all.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

where did u get the "official" rental contract? Have a copy (pM me)
was it only between u an the house owner, ie no official involved
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

maybe things have changed but.in August 2017...I opened 2 accounts in PP at Canadia bank while I was staying at the old Niron Hotel on riverside..
I opened a 3rd account in Sihanoukville 2 weeks later and I sure don't recall showing them my new apartment contract.
I did have my lucky lucky procured 1 year visa extension on my passport...
i still have the accounts and I have moved 3 times..
Sihanoukville..chinese bought my building..
Kampot .. lived 1 year..
Siem Reap just finished 1 year and moved to new apartment...
maybe shit has changed?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:04 pm where did u get the "official" rental contract? Have a copy (pM me)
was it only between u an the house owner, ie no official involved
Hi Richard,

The contract is in Siem Reap and I am in Sa Pa. It was just the contract between me and the owner. I guess it going back 5 years helped.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

If you wnat to spend your whole life queing open an ABA account. they are victims of their own success. too many customers not enough staff and the ATM machines are so slow its torture. You may now need to produce a lease or even an officila Sangkat registry paper to open a bank account. I was asked for a lease at prasac 2 weeks ago and I already have an account with them. Recent rule change. No idea how many places it affects. i think you cna now open a wing account and use that to get money from Thai to Cambodia. Might be cheaper than banks
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Wings partner in OS tranfers > Ismail Ahmed, founder and CEO at WorldRemit, commented: ‘This partnership will allow the hard-working Cambodian diaspora to send money back home to family and friends in the most convenient way possible.’

Ok maybe convenient. but does anybody know how Wing/WorldRemit's exchange rates and fees stack up?
please

They reckon the new blockchain technology will soon blow this whole transfer scam right out of the water.
Any informed info?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic