Need some advice about Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Need some advice about Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 pm there is plenty of good western food in the major areas
the local street-food etc is far far worse than thailand, or perhaps almost anywhere else

but we want to know if you're dumping the wife, or bringing her too
and cheating on her
Good point. How does your wife feel about moving to Cambodia? If she's not happy, you won't be happy either.
If anyone here has moved to Cambodia with a Thai wife, maybe you could give the OP some idea on how that's worked out for you.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Graham_Smith wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:26 pm The crap food is a concern. Here even in rural Thailand I can get Australian steaks, Italian pasta and mozzarella, good sausages and cheeses etc.

Maybe when my visa runs out I could come and check it out for a few weeks. The people where are I live are honest almost to a fault and would chase me down the street if they saw me drop a one baht coin. From what I read Cambodia can be quite sketchy with regards to scams and theft - would you say that is true?
There IS good food available - whatever suits your fancy - the local dishes are awful (for my tastes) but even the local beer gardens can turn out a good steak for 3 or 4$.

My missus cooks whatever I like, depending what I bring home from the foreigner shops.

I think Cambodia has a loooooong way to go to catch up to the scale and diversity of Thailand scams.

Fairly sure the accident rate is higher and the crime rate is higher in Thailand by a massive margin.

A bit of adventure here for sure - suits me just fine - but that's me.

As everyone says - come and sample the delights and make your mind up.

If you haven't been scammed in Thailand and your local crowd is honest as you say then it will be the same here - for sure.

Good luck
Graham_Smith
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Graham_Smith »

There's no way in hell my wife would relocate to Cambodia, she won't even go for a weekend (we are about 2 hours drive from the border). So I would be visiting her as and when I can, depending on visas etc which in Thailand is now a complete and utter nightmare. Tourists are being refused at the airport and sent back home halfway around the world for petty things or if they have been to Thailand too many times which depends on each immigration officer's opinions.

Yes, there are scams galore in Bangkok and Phuket but they're so easy to spot it's hilarious and free entertainment for me. I just go along with it for a while and then walk off, I like seeing their faces when they think they're gonna hit a big payday. Zero chance of being scammed if you are sober and sensible.

The cheapest beer here is Archa which is almost 60 baht a bottle from the 7-11 ($2) and tastes disgusting. Cambodia sounds much better for that, but I can't drink anyway. I'm very big on fishing is that something you can do easily in Cambodia?
Graham_Smith
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Graham_Smith »

I'm starting to think about the logistics of it all now. I have a Thai bank account but using a Cambodian ATM means I will be hit with a lot of charges. So to avoid this I would need to bring enough cash for my trip with me, but then I don't want to carry that around all day so would need to leave it in my hotel room. I gather that this is not a wise move in Cambodia also. If I cross the border and set up a Cambodian bank account I can do an online transfer and then use my Cambodian ATM card without fees.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Graham_Smith wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:37 am I'm starting to think about the logistics of it all now. I have a Thai bank account but using a Cambodian ATM means I will be hit with a lot of charges. So to avoid this I would need to bring enough cash for my trip with me, but then I don't want to carry that around all day so would need to leave it in my hotel room. I gather that this is not a wise move in Cambodia also. If I cross the border and set up a Cambodian bank account I can do an online transfer and then use my Cambodian ATM card without fees.
Credit cards are widely accepted.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Graham_Smith wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:37 am I'm starting to think about the logistics of it all now. I have a Thai bank account but using a Cambodian ATM means I will be hit with a lot of charges. So to avoid this I would need to bring enough cash for my trip with me, but then I don't want to carry that around all day so would need to leave it in my hotel room. I gather that this is not a wise move in Cambodia also. If I cross the border and set up a Cambodian bank account I can do an online transfer and then use my Cambodian ATM card without fees.
Half dozen one way or the other,
transfer from ur thai bank to a Cambodian bank pay transfer fees.
use thai atm card, ( i do this to transfer money to gf sister monthly) pay 100 baht/withdrawal ( with my scb card) and lousy exchange rate .

Just bring as much as you wish and open local account and use atm. Note there are some banks you can open a thai baht account as well as Riel and $$
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Graham_Smith
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Graham_Smith »

Well, I would want a $ account. Would probably come with 20k baht ($667) to pay for everything until I can get a Cambodian bank account up and running. Is it realistic to be able to open an account somewhere like Siem Reap after having only being in the country a few days and having no permanent address? Are Cambodian banks good with online banking? Getting a Thai bank account was a complete and utter nightmare.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

This complaining about rude Thai bureaucrats and 100 pages of paperwork to keep your status in Thailand all seems like just an excuse for you to move away from your wife.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:25 pm I am particularly interested in this statement:

...There are good European and Australian doctors here...

Most grateful if you would identify the Australian Doctors practising in Phnom Penh together with their address and contact particulars for their particular medical practice.

OML
I was think about Dr Scott, who has been here for ages. But upon checking he turns out to be English. My mistake. There are plenty of French doctors though. Is there really no Australian doctors here at all? Not one?
Graham_Smith
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Graham_Smith »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 am This complaining about rude Thai bureaucrats and 100 pages of paperwork to keep your status in Thailand all seems like just an excuse for you to move away from your wife.
Haha - I can assure you that's not the case!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic