Canadia Bank now charging fees

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Canadia Bank now charging fees

Post by Joker Poker »

After using Canadia Bank for at least the last two years for ATM withdrawals with my Aust credit union card, a screen came up today on the ATM saying that the transaction would cost me $4.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a fee free bank for overseas card withdrawals?

Put it in context, the average Cambodian is said to earn $2 a day, I just had my moto's oil changed, the indicator switch repaired, air filter cleaned and it cost me $5!

$4 greed tax or what?
potty
Expatriate

Re: Canadia Bank now charging fees

Post by potty »

cool, sounds really like all needed to know here...

in a country with an anyway totally dysfunctional financial system, now they charge for atm withdrawals. wow.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

potty wrote:cool, sounds really like all needed to know here...

in a country with an anyway totally dysfunctional financial system, now they charge for atm withdrawals. wow.
Dysfunctional financial system ? This isn't your thai police blog potty...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Banks have always charged a $4 or $5 fee for foreign cards. Canadia and Maybank have been free. Maybank only accept Visa cards though.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

Ask them if they do 'cash advances' for free instead. It may avoid atm fees.
Rider of the storm.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I've never NOT been charged at Canadia (or anywhere else), but my US bank refunds the fee. Maybe you ought to look into that in Oz.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

Joker Poker wrote:After using Canadia Bank for at least the last two years for ATM withdrawals with my Aust credit union card, a screen came up today on the ATM saying that the transaction would cost me $4.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a fee free bank for overseas card withdrawals?

Put it in context, the average Cambodian is said to earn $2 a day, I just had my moto's oil changed, the indicator switch repaired, air filter cleaned and it cost me $5!

$4 greed tax or what?

If after 2 years of using ATMs in Cambodia, and only today that a screen came up, I would love to see how you were obtaining your money...

*i'm sorry it's not like me to sidestep on a topic, but I couldn't resist.
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

IraHayes wrote:Banks have always charged a $4 or $5 fee for foreign cards. Canadia and Maybank have been free. Maybank only accept Visa cards though.
Thank you for that Ira - I'll try them next time as it is a Visa card.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

IraHayes wrote:Banks have always charged a $4 or $5 fee for foreign cards. Canadia and Maybank have been free. Maybank only accept Visa cards though.
I dont know. I kept on reading posters saying Canadia is free of charge. But in the last 5 years when withdraw from both debit credit card and ATM card from ASB (NZ) bank I got charged at least 4 bucks not to mention the foreign exchange. Might be a deal they agreed with the North America banks..dont know.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Looks like Canadia have finally got round to implementing the changes that were rumored when they updated their machines, a few months ago. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic