Canadia Bank now charging fees

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Canadia Bank now charging fees

Post by Joker Poker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:18 pm

After using Canadia Bank for at least the last two years for ATM withdrawals with my Aust credit union card, a screen came up today on the ATM saying that the transaction would cost me $4.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a fee free bank for overseas card withdrawals?

Put it in context, the average Cambodian is said to earn $2 a day, I just had my moto's oil changed, the indicator switch repaired, air filter cleaned and it cost me $5!

$4 greed tax or what?
potty
Expatriate

Re: Canadia Bank now charging fees

Post by potty » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:22 pm

cool, sounds really like all needed to know here...

in a country with an anyway totally dysfunctional financial system, now they charge for atm withdrawals. wow.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:32 pm

potty wrote:cool, sounds really like all needed to know here...

in a country with an anyway totally dysfunctional financial system, now they charge for atm withdrawals. wow.
Dysfunctional financial system ? This isn't your thai police blog potty...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:49 pm

Banks have always charged a $4 or $5 fee for foreign cards. Canadia and Maybank have been free. Maybank only accept Visa cards though.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Ask them if they do 'cash advances' for free instead. It may avoid atm fees.
Rider of the storm.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:48 pm

I've never NOT been charged at Canadia (or anywhere else), but my US bank refunds the fee. Maybe you ought to look into that in Oz.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Joker Poker wrote:After using Canadia Bank for at least the last two years for ATM withdrawals with my Aust credit union card, a screen came up today on the ATM saying that the transaction would cost me $4.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a fee free bank for overseas card withdrawals?

Put it in context, the average Cambodian is said to earn $2 a day, I just had my moto's oil changed, the indicator switch repaired, air filter cleaned and it cost me $5!

$4 greed tax or what?

If after 2 years of using ATMs in Cambodia, and only today that a screen came up, I would love to see how you were obtaining your money...

*i'm sorry it's not like me to sidestep on a topic, but I couldn't resist.
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:53 pm

IraHayes wrote:Banks have always charged a $4 or $5 fee for foreign cards. Canadia and Maybank have been free. Maybank only accept Visa cards though.
Thank you for that Ira - I'll try them next time as it is a Visa card.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:23 am

IraHayes wrote:Banks have always charged a $4 or $5 fee for foreign cards. Canadia and Maybank have been free. Maybank only accept Visa cards though.
I dont know. I kept on reading posters saying Canadia is free of charge. But in the last 5 years when withdraw from both debit credit card and ATM card from ASB (NZ) bank I got charged at least 4 bucks not to mention the foreign exchange. Might be a deal they agreed with the North America banks..dont know.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 am

Looks like Canadia have finally got round to implementing the changes that were rumored when they updated their machines, a few months ago. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic