Show $2000: Kenyan Woman Refused on Flight to Phnom Penh from Bangkok

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Show $2000: Kenyan Woman Refused on Flight to Phnom Penh from Bangkok

Post by frizzie77 »

Quite sure there's more to it than what is being reported.
Nobody has mentioned the odd route she chose: first to Istanbul and then to Bangkok, while there are numerous direct flights between Nairobi and Bangkok and the cheaper non-direct are via Doha. So why via Istanbul which is both a longer flight duration and more expensive than via Doha. Could that have been the red flag in Bangkok?

Another odd thing: "When Renee Ezra woke up on the morning of October 7 to the nudging impulse to travel, she easily chose Cambodia as her destination". Really? You wake up and think: OK, Cambodia it is, let's go and let's go right now!

Plus of course the amount of Kenyan currency in her purse. What was she going to do with that in Cambodia?
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

AnaPol wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:06 am There is always more to the story than JUST what any of these guys, ( here and on Thai visa) say when they were refused entry.
Not in my case. The Thai Immigration assholes just decided to extort 2000 baht out of me.
You could be next.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

frizzie77 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:37 pm Really? You wake up and think: OK, Cambodia it is, let's go and let's go right now!
That's pretty much what I did. I think it was 6 days before departure that I arranged my flight. Or as No Joke would have said: stopped being a bitch, quit my lame ass job and moved to Cambodia.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More problems for African travellers ?
From Facebook Cambodia Visa and Work Permit Group today:
It appears that the FB OP here is travelling on an African passport from Uganda, but was attempting to fly to Cambodia from another Asian country (China).
Note that in general, only nationals from African countries are asked to show cash before boarding for Phnom Penh.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:13 am More problems for African travellers ?
It appears that the FB OP here is travelling on an African passport from Uganda, but was attempting to fly to Cambodia from another Asian country (China).
Note that in general, only nationals from African countries are asked to show cash before boarding for Phnom Penh.
Probably stating the obvious but sounds like it's irrelevant what country you're travelling/transiting from but what passport you hold for these extra requirements. In this case, travelling from China altho it's unclear whether the OP was merely in transit or otherwise. Would it have made any difference if the OP had been working or such like in China for a year?
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

They have ATMs in the airport, sounds like they just rocked up with 35 bucks in hand and said "I'm staying with my friend, he lives in Phnom Penh!" And once they were asked to show proof of funds they didn't have it. Each flight I've came here on there will be one African going to the atm with immigration officers in tow, yes it's racist but we cannot change that
BaronVonBaron
Tourist

Post by BaronVonBaron »

Darkcel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:33 am They have ATMs in the airport, sounds like they just rocked up with 35 bucks in hand and said "I'm staying with my friend, he lives in Phnom Penh!" And once they were asked to show proof of funds they didn't have it. Each flight I've came here on there will be one African going to the atm with immigration officers in tow, yes it's racist but we cannot change that
That's unfair. Just because the traveler didn't have $2000 in cash doesn't mean that the traveler "just rocked up with 35 bucks in hand."
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:13 am More problems for African travellers ?
This has been happening very regularly, and not just to passport holders from African Nations, also passport holders South Asian and some Middle Eastern Countries. Sometimes they aren't asked by the airlines, or they travel via land border, and make it to Cambodia only to be denied entry upon arrival for not having up to $2000 cash on their person or other such requirements such as a hotel booking, etc. It is not limited to those with darker skin tones, many white African passport holders have experienced the same. It is based on the passport, not the countries they have travelled from or through.

Many travellers from these countries also have faced problems entering the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa which they applied for in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate with all of the necessary supporting documentation, the DoI are now stating that they need to present a Letter of Approval issued by the DoI, which has to be applied for by their inviting employer or educational institute.

The Immigration officers are telling these travellers that these are official entry requirements, the problem is though that the DoI have not published anything official stating that these travellers need to have $2000 in CASH to enter the country, or that they need to have a hotel booking, or itinerary, etc. This unfortunately results in many travellers either being denied check-in for their flight, or denied entry on arrival.

If the DoI are going to apply these requirements, then they need to be transparent about it and publicly publish an official directive clearly outlining what the requirements are.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:18 am Who carries $2000 in cash? That's a ridiculous requirement.

However, it does beg the question as to why you would travel with Kenyan shillings because I would be amazed if you could get anyone to exchange them here.

Can you imagine the organised robberies from PP airport if they knew everyone foreigner had to have $2000 cash on them. The savy travelers should have at least $3000 in cash with him, never rely on plastic money.
Boredom is like a shroud
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

cabron wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:30 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:18 am Who carries $2000 in cash? That's a ridiculous requirement.

However, it does beg the question as to why you would travel with Kenyan shillings because I would be amazed if you could get anyone to exchange them here.

Can you imagine the organised robberies from PP airport if they knew everyone foreigner had to have $2000 cash on them. The savy travelers should have at least $3000 in cash with him, never rely on plastic money.
Actually bag-snatching from tuktuks on the way into town from the airport has long been a thing.

And it's true that it is becoming normal in western countries to use cash only rarely.

So a requirement to carry big cash into countries is becoming less reasonable.

I have great sympathy for the Asian authorities in this matter.
They know the evidence clearly shows that the different nationalities and races have very different profiles when it comes to how much money they will contribute while they are here, how likely they are to commit crimes, how likely they are to work illegally, be trafficked, and how likely they are to end up broke. Yes, i know there are many exceptions but the generalisations are valid.
AFAIK, there is nothing in any Asian law to prevent differentiating on grounds of race or nationality.
Asian culture has not been influenced by the considerable amount of official anti-racist ideology that has been prominent in tne West (from schools upwards) and which has changed attitudes in the West enormously. In the 1970s, there was the white Australia immigration policy, in the UK in the 1960s - no blacks or dogs signs on properties to let. The USA has obvious examples. So, it's inevitable that an incipient racism remains throughout Asia whereas it has been reduced to a bare minimum in the West.
It's just common sense to make administrative decisions based on the evidence. In the West we say, no you can't do that if the evidence is race or nationality based. OK, that's the West's choice, for better or for worse, but it's not fair to insist the whole world follows suit.
PSD makes the point that the policies should be openly declared and specified. Well, that would be nice but we know why they aren't. That would make Asian governmemts vulnerable to getting lectured for being racist and they would rather not face the flack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic