French Woman Allegedly Gang Raped in Kampot, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: French Woman Allegedly Gang Raped in Kampot, Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:20 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:05 am
FWIW. Not so long ago Kampot was such a sleepy town, that yes of course you could walk or stagger home late at night, male or female.
Not exactly.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... der-charge
As far as I remember, the woman victim was not roaming around late at night when she was attacked. And this one terrible case dates from 2013. It's not exactly an epidemic.
But, as I said, the town has changed.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

My take on this...

The scum in Kampot have been learning from the evolved, more dangerous scum from Westport.

Nothing good happens wandering the street at 3 AM. Doesn’t matter where.

Pity the poor lady. Hope she recovers.

Hopefully this gets nipped in the bud. And mass kidnappings and extortion schemes aren’t next for Kampot.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

It has been my experience all my life that you can walk down almost any street anywhere at 3am,
IF you are clear headed, have your senses fully awake, and carry yourself with quiet confidence. (even if you have to fake the last one)
Forget guided city tours or learning all about a place from an expat blog (even a fab one like this)
go take a stroll at 3 am and see what's underneath all the tinsel of the town.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:38 am My take on this...

The scum in Kampot have been learning from the evolved, more dangerous scum from Westport.
My take on this...

I don't think it's fair to say it's the fault of some beer swilling white geezers from moved to town from Sihanoukville that three local guys gang raped a French lady in Kampot.
chiaojiang
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chiaojiang »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:23 am Let me get this straight: rape of anyone anywhere is always wrong. However, adult people should also have their wits about, right?

Walking around as a woman - presumably alone - at around 3 AM is not a good idea, anywhere in the world.

You may shout: but hey that's not fair!!! That's right, it's not fair, but it's something you have to think about.

And my main point: not just in Kampot, nor in Cambodia, ANYWHERE in the world walking around alone at 3am is a risk, especially as a woman. Sorry to break the news....
Walking alone in Tokyo at 3am is just so chill and comfy.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News UPDATED (Kampot): On October 11, at 5 PM, the police received a complaint from a 43-year-old French woman, [name removed], lived in Kampong Bay Khang Cherng village, Sangkat, Kampot.

The victim said on October 11, 03 pm, she left from Golden Time restaurant to go to her house. At Makeng village, three unidentified men in a Camry rode very close to her. They offered her a ride home, but they took from Kampot to Kep instead, where all 3 of them raped her (some reports say only 2 of the men raped her). At 05:45 am, they took her back to Kampot and dropped her off at Durian roundabout in the city.

According to questioning, the victim told the police where she got raped and where the suspects dropped her off. The police checked the CCTV security cameras where she said it happened, but they didn't find any evidence to back up what the victim told them (she also wasn't very certain where it happened). The policehe police want her to show where she got raped, she said that she forgot. The police said this had unclear information and very little evidence to investigate.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Mr Know It All
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mr Know It All »

has the nationality of the 3 men been reported.
has she reported weather or not they spoke english or khmer or french to her?
has the security cameras at Golden Time revealed anything or the staff been questioned yet?
the New Bridge is a long walk from where Golden Time. she may have been followed.
if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Mr Know It All wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:20 pm has the nationality of the 3 men been reported.
has she reported weather or not they spoke english or khmer or french to her?
has the security cameras at Golden Time revealed anything or the staff been questioned yet?
the New Bridge is a long walk from where Golden Time. she may have been followed.
So far it does not sound like she has stated what nationality the men were or what language they spoke. Also, an article from the Khmer Times:

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50650532/f ... mpot-city/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Frizzie77 is not victim blaming. He's stating the bleedin obvious! If you are out alone at 3 am and a woman, there is a risk that something untoward might occur. It's the sad truth.
...They offered her a ride home, but they took from Kampot to Kep instead
It also doesn't help if you get into a car in the middle of the night with 3 unknown men......
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

simon43 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56 pm
...They offered her a ride home, but they took from Kampot to Kep instead
It also doesn't help if you get into a car in the middle of the night with 3 unknown men......
Well, that sounds like victim blaming to me.

"When she was near the Kampong Bay Bridge the three suspects in a Toyota Camry came really close to her Then they got out and grabbed her and dragged her into the vehicle."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic