Car of Beautiful Online Seller Damaged by Small Boy on a Motorcycle

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Car of Beautiful Online Seller Damaged by Small Boy on a Motorcycle

Post by Queef »

Isaanbarang wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 pm
Queef wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:45 pm
Isaanbarang wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:45 pm I am Australian as well. I too am shocked that Khmer rarely use the good silverware or fine China. I have wondered if the fact most struggle to have a roof over there head and come from a nation where the educated were slaughtered lass than 45 years ago has left them without proper manners. But then I remember why I moved to SE ASia, so I could feel superior and smug.
But you have to wonder, what is the point of driving fancy cars and pretending to be up there with Jeff Bezos and Bill Ackman if you can't eat/ drive properly? I had to teach my girlfriend table manners. She would always speak with her mouth full of food or eat with her hands at upscale restaurants. She got super offended (like most Khmer do when you show them they are behaving like pigs) the first time. Now all I need to do is give her the look and she knows. Kinda like my parents used to do when I was... 4.

FYI, people struggle a lot more to keep a roof over their heads in California than in Cambodia. Enough with the Khmer Rouge excuse. It's getting old. If they are smart enough to cop a bunch of Bentleys and AMGs, then they are smart enough to learn basic social rules of proper etiquette.

A Louis Vuitton bag, a luxury car, and a fake diamond chandelier don't make you a respectable individual. Your manners however.
I m sure your wife appreciates the look you give her. No doubt she tanks her lucky stars every night that you lifted her to a level that you are no longer ashamed to be seen with her. And FYI California's rarely eat rat and live in million dollar homes. I am sure they struggle to put a Starbucks coffee in the cup holder of their Tesla. Perhaps I will go watch Pygmalion tonight or better yet why Don t you share the film with your gf, enjoy a fine Napa valley wine and tell her of your struggles.
She doesn't, but neither did I when I was... 4. I was never ashamed. Just disgusted.
California has one of the highest rates of homelessness in the US. Most Californian families are a medical bill away from losing, guess what, the roof over their heads. If the family used the house as a collateral to secure a student loan, guess what will happen if they default on the loan... Most hip people don't go to Starbucks. That's in Cambodia. People in California go to shops like Intelligentsia Coffee and other fancy coffee places (where a cup of coffee goes for $12-15, which is expensive when you're only getting $12/ hour before tax). As far as Teslas are concerned, they're much more popular in Norway than in California (Norway has introduced a tax free scheme for electric vehicles). A study was released earlier this year showing that more and more Americans were paying off their car note by using cash advances. Boy... So yea. I guess you could say that they struggle putting their 99c big gulp from 7/11 in their 2008 Honda Civic...
Instead of watching Pygmalion while sipping on some delicious Napa wine, I will make her watch Dominion again (while still sipping on some delicious Napa wine. She loves the cabs from there), so she will stop spending her money on Australian and American meat. You should really do some research before claiming that all of California is Malibu. You should also force yourself to think a bit more. I'm not in any way, shape, or form thinking that she's inferior. She just needs to learn more about the world and how it works. Cambodia is nothing. Cambodia is teaching Cambodians absolutely nothing about the world. Did you attend one of HE's high school by any chance?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:17 pm You shouldn’t be bothered much by the people of Cambodia not eating, drinking, etc. in a way you prefer. Instead of considering them somehow uncivilized you need to realize the difference in how they were raised. We are not inherently superior, and if I was raised in the same circumstances I would behave just as a Khmer would.
I agree. We are not inherently superior. Some of us were fortunate to be born in a lucky country. If we were born in a different situation, we would behave differently. However:

Some people take it a step further and then say, lets not be honest, because being honest makes them sound bad.

While none of us are going to make big changes in Cambodia, we can all have a small influence for good. Lets do what we can to have a positive influence.

Some Cambodian students realize a lot of things are not as good as they can be, and want to do what they can to improve Cambodia. We can encourage and assist them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

Queef wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:44 pm
Isaanbarang wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:45 pm I am Australian as well. I too am shocked that Khmer rarely use the good silverware or fine China. I have wondered if the fact most struggle to have a roof over there head and come from a nation where the educated were slaughtered lass than 45 years ago has left them without proper manners. But then I remember why I moved to SE ASia, so I could feel superior and smug.
But you have to wonder, what is the point of driving fancy cars and pretending to be up there with Jeff Bezos and Bill Ackman if you can't eat/ drive properly? I had to teach my girlfriend table manners. She would always speak with her mouth full of food or eat with her hands at upscale restaurants. She got super offended (like most Khmer do when you show them they are behaving like pigs) the first time. Now all I need to do is give her the look and she knows. Kinda like my parents used to do when I was... 4.

FYI, people struggle a lot more to keep a roof over their heads in California than in Cambodia. Enough with the Khmer Rouge excuse. It's getting old. If they are smart enough to cop a bunch of Bentleys and AMGs, then they are smart enough to learn basic social rules of proper etiquette.

A Louis Vuitton bag, a luxury car, and a fake diamond chandelier don't make you a respectable individual. Your manners however.
I m sure your wife appreciates the look you give her. No doubt she tanks her lucky stars every night that you lifted her to a level that you are no longer ashamed to be seen with her. And FYI California's rarely eat rat and live in million dollar homes. I am sure they struggle to put a Starbucks coffee in the cup holder of their Tesla. Perhaps I will go watch Pygmalion tonight or better yet why Don t you share the film with your gf, enjoy a fine Napa valley wine and tell her of your struggles.
She doesn't, but neither did I when I was... 4. I was never ashamed. Just disgusted.
California has one of the highest rates of homelessness in the US. Most Californian families are a medical bill away from losing, guess what, the roof over their heads. If the family used the house as a collateral to secure a student loan, guess what will happen if they default on the loan... Most hip people don't go to Starbucks. That's in Cambodia. People in California go to shops like Intelligentsia Coffee and other fancy coffee places (where a cup of coffee goes for $12-15, which is expensive when you're only getting $12/ hour before tax). As far as Teslas are concerned, they're much more popular in Norway than in California (Norway has introduced a tax free scheme for electric vehicles). A study was released earlier this year showing that more and more Americans were paying off their car note by using cash advances. Boy... So yea. I guess you could say that they struggle putting their 99c big gulp from 7/11 in their 2008 Honda Civic...
Instead of watching Pygmalion while sipping on some delicious Napa wine, I will make her watch Dominion again (while still sipping on some delicious Napa wine. She loves the cabs from there), so she will stop spending her money on Australian and American meat. You should really do some research before claiming that all of California is Malibu. You should also force yourself to think a bit more. I'm not in any way, shape, or form thinking that she's inferior. She just needs to learn more about the world and how it works. Cambodia is nothing. Cambodia is teaching Cambodians absolutely nothing about the world. Did you attend one of HE's high school by any chance?
You should find a well educated australian girlfriend, like that you won't lose your time to educate this cambodian girl with no manners, and won't lose your time to tell her how Cambodia is nothing in this world.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kinetic wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 pm

You should find a well educated australian girlfriend, like that you won't lose your time to educate this cambodian girl with no manners, and won't lose your time to tell her how Cambodia is nothing in this world.
Why would I get an Australian girlfriend? Why not Japanese or Canadian? She showed signs that she wanted to improve herself. She told me herself that she doesn't wanna be ostracized if she ends up moving to the west. She already knows that Cambodia is nothing. She's been abroad more than once.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

Isaanbarang wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:45 pm
I am so glad your girlfriend no longer disgusts you. I am sure the transformation hasn t been easy and in no time she too will be slurping Intelligentsia dbl lattes and extolling the virtues of a good cab. She is lucky to have a father figure like yourself, open minded and worldly. I am sure this is a match made in heaven daddy. Just be careful not to spare the rod and spoil the child. But then your mother was likely a stay at home parent too.

And no I received a good education in a first world country and have the intelligence to realize the cultural norms of my upbringing are not universal. That and the average household income of Californians is $71,805 while those in KOW is $1,376. Pretty easy to see your comparison of life's difficulties is about as realistic as your relationships future. Hey but what do I know other than she no longer disgusts you.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

is the issue here just manners
or the dichotomy between possessions and character?
that applies worldwide, but is perhaps acute in cambodia

monstra mihi bona!
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

Queef wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Why would I get an Australian girlfriend? Why not Japanese or Canadian? She showed signs that she wanted to improve herself. She told me herself that she doesn't wanna be ostracized if she ends up moving to the west. She already knows that Cambodia is nothing. She's been abroad more than once.
Because the way you try change her and how you consider Cambodia is really a pain in the ass to read!
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Rex Harrison walks amongst us
Last edited by Anthony's Weiner on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Isaanbarang wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 pm
Isaanbarang wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:45 pm
I am so glad your girlfriend no longer disgusts you. I am sure the transformation hasn t been easy and in no time she too will be slurping Intelligentsia dbl lattes and extolling the virtues of a good cab. She is lucky to have a father figure like yourself, open minded and worldly. I am sure this is a match made in heaven daddy. Just be careful not to spare the rod and spoil the child. But then your mother was likely a stay at home parent too.

And no I received a good education in a first world country and have the intelligence to realize the cultural norms of my upbringing are not universal. That and the average household income of Californians is $71,805 while those in KOW is $1,376. Pretty easy to see your comparison of life's difficulties is about as realistic as your relationships future. Hey but what do I know other than she no longer disgusts you.
You're right. It wasn't easy and it's far from being over. She doesn't drink coffee. I do. I also have my own $20 coffee machine from target. No need for hipsterfied coffee. I can't wait to take her on the train that goes through Napa. Such an amazing experience. I'm sure she will also love Temecula. Awesome wine country in the south. She sure is lucky! Do you see her dating some old, fat pensioner that has the conversational skills of an 8 year old? A pensioner that basically can't handle real women and would rather settle for a quiet and obedient Khmer woman? sheesh. Don't call me daddy. Master will suffice. My mother is a business owner. Unlike some of us, she will never have to go to Cambodia to retire....

Did you now? It sure doesn't seem like it. I might wrong. I may be right. Who knows?
Average VS median. You should look that up. That will, probably, allow you to understand the reality of California as of now. Take into account the cost of living and other necessities, and you will quickly realize that you can't survive (or kick it in a tuk tuk all day long) on $30k/ year. And you're right, you clearly don't know much. Instead of spending all your time in Cambodia, go to California. Go to skid row. Go to colleges and talk to tenure professors living paycheck to paycheck.

Anyways. I'm going to stop wasting my time with you, Mr. Western Reject. Some of us are actually trying to move forward in life.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kinetic wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 pm
Queef wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Because the way you try change her and how you consider Cambodia is really a pain in the ass to read!
Don't read what I'm writing then
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic