Enraged Tuktuk Driver Attacks Woman Who Refused Ride (Photos & Video)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.

Is that a machete?

YES
No votes
NO
83%
NOT SURE
17%

Total votes: 12
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Enraged Tuktuk Driver Attacks Woman Who Refused Ride (Photos & Video)

Post by Mishmash »

For Sale - Bajaj Tuk-Tuk - low mileage. Reg No. 1CY 7224

Reason for selling - recent unemployment.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Many years ago had a motodop in Koh Samui, seemed drunk but already into the ride when I discovered it. Got off, got another and paid the guy to avoid confrontation.

Despite payment he gave chase and was yelling something and driving erratically. Drove himself right off the road, just lucky he drove into some shrubbery so didn’t even fall down.

Shudder to think how many of these guys are drunk driving every day.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There are some sick (in the head) Cambodians.

People have a right to refuse to ride with a drunk driver. It is the smart thing to do. In much of the world, drink driving is a criminal offence.

In my early days in Cambodia, I sometimes (not always) thought this is their culture, so just go along with it. Now days, I often speak up, or stand up to unreasonable behaviour. More people should. It obviously depends on the situation.

I was with a couple of girls one night, maybe 9 pm, and they each caught a tuk tuk home (to separate places). They just waved down tuk tuks passing by. One of the girls said she is not going in one of the tuk tuks because the driver was young. She was concerned for her safety. She waited until a tuk tuk came along with an old man driving it.

People who live in a place for a place for some time, become aware of the dangers, and have a right to make choices which keep them safe.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:18 pm The lady in question refused the ride because the driver was drunk.

According to my missus the lady says she cannot get in the Passapp with him because he is drunk already.
One time I had family staying at a hotel in SHV. We needed a tuktuk to go out, but the guys hanging around outside the hotel were rough as guts. The chief of the tuktuk gang had bright red blood-shot eyes and he was staggering , swearing and spitting as he shouted at me. It could have turned nasty for sure. Needless to say, we refused the ride. Drunk, stoned, aggressive, who needs that.

On the other hand, I've had very cool guys as drivers. In Siem Reap, the wife of the driver who was taking us around the temples went into labour half-way through the day. He was apologetic, but called a tuktuk mate to come and take over so he could rush off to the hospital. We sat and had a beer while his mate turned up, and carried on with our day. It was a boy. Lol. He phoned his mate to tell us. :)

So, yeah, I have a lot of respect for the good guys, but the tuktuk guys on the street in certain areas of SHV are really bad news. Ive had no problems with passapp drivers.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

My Sangkat- Kakap (Porsenchey) had a bad spate of incidents, muggings, rapes, murders - especially along the notorious Road 2004 KTV, Beer Garden, Massage Parlour strip just round the corner.

Nowadays there are night patrols who do not quibble at using live rounds - so has gone all quiet, except for the Chinese crashing their cars on 'Death Road" Russian Boulevard in front of the airport.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic