Thai Judge Shoots Himself in Court, Citing Political Interference

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thai Judge Shoots Himself in Court, Citing Political Interference

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thai judge shoots himself in court in apparent suicide bid
Khanakorn Pianchana fires gun after acquitting five men on murder and firearms charges, claiming other judges told him to change verdict
Jamie Fullerton
Sat 5 Oct 2019 06.18 BST
A Thai judge shot himself in the chest in a court in an apparent suicide attempt following complaints about interference in a case he was presiding over.

Khanakorn Pianchana used a pistol to shoot himself in a provincial court in the city of Yala, in southern Thailand, after acquitting five men of murder and firearms charges due to lack of evidence. He underwent surgery following the incident. The Bangkok Post reported his injuries were not life-threatening.

Before the shooting a statement attributed to Khanakorn, widely distributed on social media, claimed that senior judges told him to change his verdicts in the case to guilty. This would have meant sentencing three defendants to death and two to jail.

“At this moment, other fellow judges in Courts of First Instance across the country are being treated the same way as I was. [If] I cannot keep my oath of office, I’d rather die than live without honour,” the statement said.

Khanakorn’s statement sparked concerns that senior judges in Thailand’s justice system were abusing power to get guilty verdicts delivered to suit political goals.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... uicide-bid
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Thai Judge Shoots Himself in Court, Citing Political Interference

Post by Arget »

Well that would never happen here.............................. would it? Noooooo .
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Thai Judge Shoots Himself in Court, Citing Political Interference

Post by Yobbo »

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, uh chest.
Commendable :bow:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic