Buy>>Sell>>Buy>>Smartphone

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Rama
Expatriate

Buy>>Sell>>Buy>>Smartphone

Post by Rama »

Talk me through it guys, show me the flaw in my thinking:

You buy a new top of the range smartphone (I've got my eyes on a Note 4), you get a screen protector PLUS cover the rear and sides with a plastic sticker by the professional Cambodian smartphone sticker boys in the mall, and then stick the phone in a protective phone case.

Now, how long have you got to use it for? 6 Months? 9 Months? A year? Or do you just keep you eyes on the tech websites and when there is a as good as confirmed upcoming release of the Note 5 you try and sell your Note 4 (via a forum, CPN, Khmer24 etc.) for $150 less than you've paid for it? To someone who is unaware of the upcoming release of the next best thing, or simply to someone who likes a bargain.

...You then buy whatever is better, faster, more modern and upto date than what you've just sold (obviously won't be the Note 5 by my method, but perhaps the GalaxyS6 or LGG4 or whatever else is premium and been released during the time you've been using your old phone) ...by taking the money you got from selling the Note 4 and adding $200 or so?

Is that how the Cambodian freshy boys do it? Or is there another way?

...Of course, could just get the thing stolen or broken and the whole plan has been in-vain.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Buy>>Sell>>Buy>>Smartphone

Post by wackyjacky »

Of course it's all about face. The new hot phone is 'bling'. When I go to the gym, all the Khmer leave their hot new phones out on a shelf with no case and go back to it constantly. You never see a shit or old model phone left on display - not even a 4S. Barang have their's covered up & armored up in their pocket or on their arm, listening to music. It reminds me of my old man and all the boys at the country club. They traded in the Caddie, Buick, or Continental every year. They all said that they barely lost any $$ in the process. I kinda doubt it - now that is.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Funny thing is that there is actually no Cambodian who knows how to use these kind of phones......they just click around like lunatics and two days later they complain "now it's broken". (ahhhhhhhh Facebook and Fuckbook doesn't work anymore)
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

(normally) I would buy the top-thing, and every earliest 2 or 3 updates the next one and sell the old one for a good price on ebay.

its some nice tool, but from Palms, nokia phones with full keyboards (forgot what this was called...) I know, that I don't like touch-screens nor that mini-stuff. so im not really interested...
the last thing i need is a phone, to be honest.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

You're seriously suggesting that product 5 is actually superior to product 4, or at least significantly sufficient for you to 'need' product 5?

Wow.

Go sit in the corner.

With Jacob.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

potty wrote:, nokia phones with full keyboards (forgot what this was called...)
Nokia N97?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The Nokia Communicator came out around the time Palms were at their most popular. They had fax capability. I loved mine, only recently threw it away.
djones
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by djones »

I often buy phones about a year after the model is released. Why? Well performing the functions i need far outweighs having the latest "must have" consumer fashion item. Any design flaws, production problems should have been rectified. And as i stick to Android, custom roms are at a mature stage of development often based on a newer software version than is officially available for the phone. Which makes me a poor supporter of the consumer economy
My last phone Nexus 4 was sold for about 55-60% of original cost and gave me about one third of the cost of current Oneplus One
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

djones wrote:Which makes me a poor supporter of the consumer economy
You bad man.
indigo_design
Expatriate

Post by indigo_design »

Back in the 80s I worked for a group that had a fleet of over 1000 vehicles. They would play Ford off against GM and occasionally Fiat or Citreon to get a discount on replacing the whole fleet. It would result in a 30% or so discount on the list price. Every 11 months the whole fleet (90% white vans) would be sent to auction and new vehicles brought in at no or very little loss. They also had their own insurance company and vehicle service centres. Basically anyone working at head office above postroom level had a free company car as part of their remuneration package.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic