Visa Req - Landcrossing to Vietnam

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Unforrunately I need to attend a funeral in HCMC tomorrow. I wanted to take the bus across the border and hold a UK passport (which allows entry to Vietnam for up to 15 days each 30 days.

Its not a VOA, which I know are not issued at the land borders.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to cross at the land border with my passoort? Or I definitely beed an evisa (or travel by plane)
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Visa Req - Landcrossing to Vietnam

Post by bittermelon »

This site doesn't say anything about the waiver not working overland.
https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/visa-requ ... ngdom.html

As you say its not a VOA- so no problem- its only VOAs that are restricted to air entry. (as far as i can see)
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

I will probably have the definitive answer by tomorrow. :facepalm:

Appreciate the advice, I was worried because I could not find anywhere that says you 'can'. Only lists of other things you can't.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

CamExpat,

No need to worry the 15 day exemption for the visa requirement has been used many times by colleagues at the Bavet/Moc Bai border as recently as this week. Only condition is the country of the passport - with a UK passport - no problem. Be aware that once you return this cannot be used again with 30 days of your return date. If you wanted to return to Vietnam within the 30 days you would need a visa.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Thanks Jmpson, reassurance appreciated.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Crossed via Bavet into Vietnam (April) without a visa and received the 15 days. The bus company collected all passports and handled everything.

On an earlier visit, flying into HCMC, they wanted to see a ticket out of Vietnam, which I had.

No ticket out was requested at the Bavet border.

After a visa exempt stay, you have to stay out of Vietnam for 30 days before you can do it again (or get a visa).

Safe travels.

Edit: Just noticed your Canadian flag. You would have to travel on your UK passport.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

When I went to hcmc by Giant Ibis bus from pp, the staff checked passports before departure. A couple had to get off because they were returning before the 30 days was up.
On reentry to Cambodia, a couple were looking unhappy on the Cambodian side at Ha Tien. They were attempting to reenter before the 30 days and Cambodian immigration would not stamp them out. They were being hit for a large fee for a Vietnam visa. They didn’t want to pay but going to PP to get the visa would have cost time as well as money. I would have liked to know exactly how this visa was going to be provided.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Crossed last night, all very smoothly.

Bus company collected the passports before we left. They gave them back to us at Cambodian immigration so we could exit, then collected them after.

At VN immigration, they handed them in en-mass and immigration handed them back to us 1 by 1 before we boarded the bus.

We were probably the last bus crossing the border so no delays.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

yongchi wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:18 pm Crossed via Bavet into Vietnam (April) without a visa and received the 15 days. The bus company collected all passports and handled everything.

On an earlier visit, flying into HCMC, they wanted to see a ticket out of Vietnam, which I had.

No ticket out was requested at the Bavet border.

After a visa exempt stay, you have to stay out of Vietnam for 30 days before you can do it again (or get a visa).

Safe travels.

Edit: Just noticed your Canadian flag. You would have to travel on your UK passport.

OPs initial post stated

Post by CamExpat » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:49 am

Unforrunately I need to attend a funeral in HCMC tomorrow. I wanted to take the bus across the border and hold a UK passport (which allows entry to Vietnam for up to 15 days each 30 days.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic