Visiting from the US

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jjmoore
Tourist
United States of America

Visiting from the US

Post by Jjmoore »

After raising a family, my wife (native Cambodian, but grew up in the US) and I are looking to get away for about a year. We are in our early 40’s, and I have a residual income of $2500/month, as well as a large savings. We are hoping to just relax and enjoy ourselves, living off my residual income, for at least a year before coming back to the US.
Would it be better to just rent an apartment for a year, and travel from there, or do extended stays in various cities?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Visiting from the US

Post by explorer »

It depends on what you actually want to do.

If you plan to visit a lot of different places, I would just stay in guest houses or hotels in each place.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Holy shit balls, 25k a month

OK, 2.5k will get you a nice but not exciting lifestyle. You can take taxis to places where you don't have to worry about the price of a meal and shit. You're not Blofeld or something. You can have a nice flat with aircon. And maybe buy a moto for stuff. And eat Western cheese.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:07 am Holy shit balls, 25k a month
:? Me thinks you've misplaced a decimal point.

OP -
Hotels/resorts at first. Renting has it's advantages (cost) but also drawbacks.
You could be next.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sounds good, Spend ur first month or so traveling around the country before you settle down.
do a ordinary visa, EG extension, leave...repeat.

OR

For me, I'd think u'd enjoy a year off Traveling throughout the region rather than spend it all in Cambodia.
Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Bali
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic