Mother Nature NGO Activist Threatened with Deportation

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Mother Nature NGO Activist Threatened with Deportation

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A senior ruling Cambodian People’s Party lawmaker has issued a thinly veiled threat of deportation to the founder of a local environmental campaign group, promising an investigation into the foreign national’s activities.

Chheang Vun, a CPP lawmaker and spokesman for the National Assembly, indicated in a speech yesterday that Alex Gonzalez-Davidson of NGO Mother Nature, which campaigns against the construction of the Stung Cheay Areng Dam in Koh Kong province, had been “delving too deep into Cambodian politics” which he “could not let ... happen anymore”.

Vun also said that a large number of members of parliament had grown concerned about Gonzalez-Davidson’s role in opposing the dam, though he did not name the Mother Nature founder.

“Recently, a large amount of parliament members have become concerned about a foreigner’s actions. He has been delving too deep into Cambodian politics. I am working with the authorities to examine him and his methods of working in Cambodia,” he said.

“He has been working against the local authorities and incited Cambodian people to work against the authorities. I cannot let this happen anymore. As head of the fifth committee of the National Assembly, I myself will conduct an investigation into him to find out more about what he is trying to do.”

Despite not naming Gonzalez-Davidson, Vun said that the foreign national in question had been detained by police.

Several Mother Nature representatives, including Gonzalez-Davidson, and activists were briefly detained by the authorities in Koh Kong town on September 15.

The activists were released after police said they signed a “contract” that stated they would stop blocking access to the proposed dam site.

Mother Nature activists and locals have sporadically blocked an access road and stopped officials and representatives of Sinohydro Resources, contracted to oversee the dam’s construction, from entering the area.

“If I find that he did anything against what he pledged to the Ministry of Interior, I will request that the Immigration Department at the ministry arrest him and send him back to his home country ... we will not keep this type of person,” Vun said yesterday.

Gonzalez-Davidson is a Spanish national.

“I think our laws are too lax allowing this foreigner to work in a huge area by saying that he is trying to protect Cambodians. It’s just an excuse,” Vun added.

Gonzalez-Davidson, however, dismissed the threat of an “investigation” into Mother Nature. “As I’ve said before, I don’t know who he’s talking about, because I consider myself Cambodian.......

http://phnompenhpost.com/national/activist-too-deep
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Mother Nature NGO Activist Threatened with Deportation

Post by Sailorman »

He can't be looking into Cambodian political corruption as there is none, RIGHT! Or the Vietnamese-Cambodian/China-Cambodian connection. Or the land scams. Or timber scams. or the scam scams. Looks like he struck a nerve. He'll probably be throwing himself off a police station pretty soon or dying of a heart attack while in custody.

Looks like Sinohydro Resources is owned by the government of China. Let me see now big Chinese mega dam on the coast, big mega Chinese power plant on the coast and planning a mega Chinese government backed resort in Sihanoukville. Looks like the government of China may be buying the coast one corrupt politician at a time.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

He will be kicked out before being assassinated. That's why he should be happy he's a foreigner - no face lost, no life lost. Win, win.
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

Foreigner? But he says he considers himself Cambodian.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

MekongMouse wrote:He will be kicked out before being assassinated. That's why he should be happy he's a foreigner - no face lost, no life lost. Win, win.
Indeed. The gods in their clouds sound like they are getting pissed off with the resistance being encountered and could send thunderbolts any time.

“Recently, a large amount of parliament members have become concerned about a foreigner’s actions. He has been delving too deep into Cambodian politics. I am working with the authorities to examine him and his methods of working in Cambodia,” he said.

“He has been working against the local authorities and incited Cambodian people to work against the authorities. I cannot let this happen anymore. As head of the fifth committee of the National Assembly, I myself will conduct an investigation into him to find out more about what he is trying to do.”

Going by that, if I was him, I would expect to be arrested for something soon.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

PhnomRon wrote:Foreigner? But he says he considers himself Cambodian.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

He speaks damn good khmer... maybe too good. He should shut his mouth before he uhm.. "commits suicide" due to the stress of starting an uprising and incitement of the people.... or is on the receiving end of a ricochet.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Another freak. The type that would put a cockroach ahead of a human.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic