Thailand PM considers moving capital as Bangkok congestion takes toll

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Thailand PM considers moving capital as Bangkok congestion takes toll

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Bangkok is struggling with pollution and congestion, prompting the suggestion that the Thai capital may be moved. Photograph: Mladen Antonov/AFP/Getty Images

Kate Lamb
Mon 30 Sep 2019

Like Jakarta, Bangkok is beset by overcrowding, pollution, rising sea levels and heavy traffic congestion.

Thailand could be the next nation in south-east Asia to relocate its capital after Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha hinted such a move could be a “possibility” under his government.

Taking inspiration from neighbouring Myanmar and similar plans being formulated in Indonesia, the Thai prime minister suggested that relocating the capital could help Bangkok overcome its mounting urban challenges.

During an address at the Connecting Thailand with the World Conference on 18 September, the retired army general floated two options for a potential move. “The first is to find a city that’s neither too far nor too expensive to move to,” he said, “The second is to move to outer Bangkok to reduce crowding.”

ful https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... takes-toll
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Thailand PM considers moving capital as Bangkok congestion takes toll

Post by Kuroneko »

Ayutthaya or Sukhothai? :D
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

noooo don't forsake my favourite city
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

First Jakarta, then Bangkok. Does anyone suppose that some day in the near future Phnom Penh will be on that list?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

taabarang wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:55 am First Jakarta, then Bangkok. Does anyone suppose that some day in the near future Phnom Penh will be on that list?
The boss of Cambodia already lives in Beijing :hattip: :hattip:
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

I heard about old plans going back years about putting it in the Saraburi-NakhonNayok area. I wouldn't hold your breath though. Even Indo's new capital might never happen.
I'm not like other boys...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

taabarang wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:55 am First Jakarta, then Bangkok. Does anyone suppose that some day in the near future Phnom Penh will be on that list?
Phnom Penh lies 1 or 2 meter higher than Bangkok if I remember well, so it will be on the agenda in a year or 50 I guess.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

More than likely he already has assembled a large piece of property that he will sell to the government. This pr*ck doesn t do a thing unless there is something in it for him.

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:32 pm
Phnom Penh lies 1 or 2 meter higher than Bangkok if I remember well, so it will be on the agenda in a year or 50 I guess.
According to my Google search PP is 12 meters above sea level and Bangkok is merely 1.2 meters above. So it would seem with all the dams being built, Phnom Penh might face s greater danger of holding the Water Festival in another city.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

taabarang wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:52 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:32 pm
According to my Google search PP is 12 meters above sea level and Bangkok is merely 1.2 meters above. So it would seem with all the dams being built, Phnom Penh might face s greater danger of holding the Water Festival in another city.
OK, if Google says it's 12 it'll be around that. Higher than Bangkok anyway. Bangkok also has the issue it's in a geological area which is relatively sinking, that effect is speeded up by the enormous amount of (heavy) highrise. Unless they start a major plan to keep their feet dry the City of Angels won't be around for too long anymore.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic