Too Late for Russia-Cambodia Direct Flights ?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Too Late for Russia-Cambodia Direct Flights ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

September 25, 2019
Direct flight talks between Russia and Cambodia draw mixed response
The recent discussions between the Cambodian and Russian governments regarding direct flights have drawn a mixed response from Russians living in the Kingdom.

The Agence Kampuchea Presse (AKP) reported that last week Russian Ambassador to Cambodia Dmitry Tsvetkov met Minister of Tourism Thong Khon to discuss the matter. The meeting is the latest in a long, winding effort to establish direct flights between the two countries.

Most Russian expats interviewed by Khmer Times supported the idea and expressed optimism about the establishment of a direct flight connecting the countries.

Russian businessman Sergey Sidenko said it is a good thing as direct flights will benefit tourists and expats from both countries.

More than 60,000 tourists from Russia visit Cambodia every year. There is also a significant number of Russian expats in the Kingdom, mostly living in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and Sihanoukville.

“Look, I am a Russian living in Cambodia. To have a direct flight to Moscow (for example) is easier and cheaper for me and for my Russian friends who visit Cambodia. I think Cambodians who work in Russia think the same,” he said.

But Mr Sidenko, who is originally from Vladivostok in Russia’s Far East, cautioned that it is easier said than done.

“From a business perspective, I understand that it is necessary to have a regular stream of passengers between Russia and Cambodia, and currently we don’t have that. Also, such project needs strong support from the government and the business sector,” said Mr Sidenko, who operates the popular Party Patio Bar in Phnom Penh.

The same sentiment was shared by Tural Lachinov, a mining engineer with Chip Mong Group, a leading business conglomerate in the Kingdom. Mr Lachinov, who is originally from Norilsk, a remote part of Russia close to the Arctic Circle, has lived in Cambodia for the past six years.

“Yes, I heard about it. It is a good idea in general, especially for Cambodia,” he said.
Mr Lachinov said direct flights will bring more Russian tourists to Cambodia. “Sometimes, our people are lazy about changing planes many times, so they go to Vietnam and Thailand instead,” he pointed out.

But for some, such meetings and discussions are an exercise in futility.

A former travel agent who did not give his name said talks about such flights have been going on for the last 20 years with no significant results to show.

He said that even a high-level meeting involving then-Russian President Dmitry Medvedev some years back did not produce any results. Mr Medvedev paid a state visit to Cambodia in 2015.

“I don’t believe it will happen soon,” the former travel agent said.

Direct flights, according to him, will not work well now because of the situation in Sihanoukville. “A very important aspect of it is that Sihanoukville right now is in a big mess because of the Chinese. There are almost no good beaches left in town. It is very dirty everywhere. It is not like it used to be,” he noted.

“And this is essential for Russian travellers because they will not come to Cambodia for a long distance and expensive flight just to see the Angkor temples. They want to relax on the beach and now it’s a disaster. This is why I think it also will not work very well,” he added.

Sihanoukville used to be a favourite destination for Russian tourists and investors.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50645976/d ... -response/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram