Cambodia is now officially one of Southeast Asia’s most expensive countries for expats.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia is now officially one of Southeast Asia’s most expensive countries for expats.

Post by whiteribbon »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:07 pm Bought 1L of yoghurt and 500 gram of muesli today, spent over 10 bucks on it. Back home less than 3. Just an example.
And I bought 3 boxes of cigarettes today for the price of 1 at home. Filled my car for $45 what would cost me double at home. Ate a fresh seafood meal at a restaurant (starter and main) for $14. Just an example. So many things that are cheaper here than in western countries. Not saying life is cheap here, just depends on what kind of things you compare it with I guess?
just noise, white noise
Equinix
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia is now officially one of Southeast Asia’s most expensive countries for expats.

Post by Equinix »

Kammekor wrote:Bought 1L of yoghurt and 500 gram of muesli today, spent over 10 bucks on it. Back home less than 3. Just an example.
I make my own yogurt... Buy milk when it's 50% off and make 5 kilo of yogurt from 10 liters of milk (I strain it so it's thick yogurt)
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Cam expensive bc property is through the roof for expats... Part of the draw backnin the dayz is buying a condo under 40k.. now all the condos are like 200k up...

Shoot... no beach, exp western food at a condo for 200k, i might as well get a place in eu or usa... Thai u get beach condo for 30k
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

:(
tireswang wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:43 pm :smileinbox: It's More Cheaper in the Filthypines, but Life is mo bettahs in Cambodia....I live fairly comfortable on a $1000.00 here in S.R. and Lived cheaper in Phnom Penh...
It's always "better in the Philippines "😉
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:08 pm ^^what a shock, imported dairy products are expensive in a country with no dairy industry.
Locally produced Moo Moo fresh milk costs the same as import.
KOW happiness
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by KOW happiness »

fax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:50 am
timmydownawell wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:08 pm ^^what a shock, imported dairy products are expensive in a country with no dairy industry.
Interesting, where can you buy it, living in Siem Reap for instance and is it pasteurized? A long drive out to a farm regularly is going to cost $ and take time, unless you're lucky and live right next to one but then you'll be out in the sticks... I just paid $1.20 for 400ml fresh Dutch Milk in a bottle, for the same price in the UK I'd get a 2.27 litre jug, so over 5.5x more expensive here it seems...
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

paparazzi wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:54 am Visa situation in Vietnam is now an issue. 3 months and border run needed.
Yes and no. As with all matters visa related, multiple factors must be taken into consideration: nationality of the applicant, type of visa etc. 'Blanket' statements are not really helpful.

I just extended my 3-month, multiple entry Business visa for USD $80 (VND 1,900,000). No border run needed.

Qualification -
Vietnam Immigration's unofficial motto:
All is flux, the only constant is change.*
*Subject to change with no notice :wink:
You could be next.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

fax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:50 am
One little local producer isn't going to have enough market share to make a difference. I'm sure it's more expensive to produce here than in countries like NZ, anyway.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
GreatGrizzlyTed
Tourist

Post by GreatGrizzlyTed »

Do they sell beef jerky in Cambodia and how expensive is it?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

:D

Available here $2.50 per pack
https://cambodiancuisine.storenvy.com/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic