Weird occurence getting visa at PP airport

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Weird occurence getting visa at PP airport

Post by pczz »

Arrived 2 weeks ago. There was a set of desks with a sign saying visa assistance in fron of the visa counters.
I went to them and asked about a retirement visa. they took the yellow small immigration from you fillin on the pklane and wrote a big E in the bottom left corner.
Went to the counter. They gave me back the white immigration form, took the yellow one and releived m of $35. they di no want any photos, and that was it, ten minutes later I had an E visa. SO don't they need photos anymore? and what is the point of the big white vuisa on arrival form if you dont need it? I suspect maybe its because i showed them i had a previous ER visa which expired 4 monhts ago and maybe if i was a first time visitor it would have been different?
Weirdness 2 and 3 both happened last week. i went to get my E changed to and ER at lucky. they told me it would likely be october now because of Pchum benh. I screamed and ranted and they told me there was a 1 day service availbale for $75 or a 4 day service for $40. I went a bit ballistic and showed them pictures of the kids i needd to take to the dentist and why was i forced to pay corrupt immigration officilas so much and hey presto the manage did a 1 day servce for $220 ( othere wanted $240 and no, i am not going toqueue up for 3 days at the airport getting nowhere like last time)
And finally today is the first night of Pchum bneh and i just went out for a shopping trip. Almost everyone was stopping at the red light at midnight? WTF are they putting in the water these days?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Weird occurence getting visa at PP airport

Post by hanno »

pczz wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:33 am Arrived 2 weeks ago. There was a set of desks with a sign saying visa assistance in fron of the visa counters.
I went to them and asked about a retirement visa. they took the yellow small immigration from you fillin on the pklane and wrote a big E in the bottom left corner.
Went to the counter. They gave me back the white immigration form, took the yellow one and releived m of $35. they di no want any photos, and that was it, ten minutes later I had an E visa. SO don't they need photos anymore? and what is the point of the big white vuisa on arrival form if you dont need it? I suspect maybe its because i showed them i had a previous ER visa which expired 4 monhts ago and maybe if i was a first time visitor it would have been different?
Weirdness 2 and 3 both happened last week. i went to get my E changed to and ER at lucky. they told me it would likely be october now because of Pchum benh. I screamed and ranted and they told me there was a 1 day service availbale for $75 or a 4 day service for $40. I went a bit ballistic and showed them pictures of the kids i needd to take to the dentist and why was i forced to pay corrupt immigration officilas so much and hey presto the manage did a 1 day servce for $220 ( othere wanted $240 and no, i am not going toqueue up for 3 days at the airport getting nowhere like last time)
And finally today is the first night of Pchum bneh and i just went out for a shopping trip. Almost everyone was stopping at the red light at midnight? WTF are they putting in the water these days?
Almsot 3 am.......
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

pczz wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:33 am Arrived 2 weeks ago. There was a set of desks with a sign saying visa assistance in fron of the visa counters.
Best to stop drinking the stuff and you will be OK.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

pczz wrote: ↑
...... hey presto the manage did a 1 day servce for $220 ( othere wanted $240
is that an extra 0 or has the price for 1 year extension come down ??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

:facepalm:

Nothing weird happened to you...on 1st June they introduced the new all in one Arrivals-departures Card/VOA form (yellow) which replaced the old separate VOA Forms and Arrival-Departure Card.
They also.scrapped the requirement to provide a passport picture at the same time.

The rest of your rant is a bit confusing though. Did you only apply for a 6 month ER EOS, cant have been a 12 month EOS for $220 including express fee.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:02 am
pczz wrote: ↑
...... hey presto the manage did a 1 day servce for $220 ( othere wanted $240
is that an extra 0 or has the price for 1 year extension come down ??
Sorry, i should have mentioned it was 6 months retirement visa.
I was quoted $161 at 2 other agents plus a $6 "changing to retirement" visa fee, witha wait time of 10 to 15 working days due to Pchuim Benh
for an additional $75 i was offered a 1 week service, total $242.
Luckly quoted $160 + $75 for next day service total $235 but I got that discounted to $220 when i explained how that would impact on some charitable work i was doing in a village. i was very pleasantly suprised at the positive reaction of the manager.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

pczz wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:48 pm "changing to retirement" visa . . .

work i was doing in a village.
hmmm

monstra mihi bona!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:18 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:48 pm "changing to retirement" visa . . .

work i was doing in a village.
hmmm
Why the hmmm? I went off at the manager about how corruption in immigration was going to cost me money I needed for a project i am working on with a cambodian. She was interested and asked what we were doing and i explained to her and showed her pictures and she agreed to do it for cost price to support the project. Unusual to find a Cambodian that
wants to help maybe, but she is not the only one. i know a middle calss Cambodian who pays the university fees for 6 bright rural students every year out of his own pocket, and doesnt make a fuss about it. things are changing
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

you are working
on a retirement visa

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic