Birth certificate

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Birth certificate

Post by cptrelentless »

I didn't have any problem getting a birth certificate for my kids, took forever., like nearly six months. I let the missus deal with it, so that might have been both the reason for the delay and her uncle being the solution to having a foreigner on it.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I actually forgot to register my daughter - she is 3 next month.

Then my wife reminded me - we are a couple so not officially married and last month went to Peam Ro Sangkat in Prey Veng.

We went to the hut where the locals were having a meeting and spoke to the clerk with the big book.

There were uuummms and aaaaahs and much scratchings of heads.

One woman who it was no concern of hers became a little vocal - you know how feuds get at the village level.

My Khmer friend asked her politely to pipe down.

Finally, they said go and see the Boss.

Off we trotted to his house, sat down and had a cup of tea.

Sure he knows me from when I visit my wife's family as I always make a point of seeing him and the local police, let them know a barang is in their boundary (and follow the law as we are actually supposed to report our presence within 24 hours or 48 hours as far as I remember) and besides they come and visit the house and have a few beers.

He just said go back and tell the Clerk to enter in the book.

I gave him a few dollars for his kids for school books

Back to the hut. Gave the clerk the message.

Out comes the big book - all duly entered. Forms signed and thumbprints.

No one asked for money.

We then passed the clerk some money for his family and thank him for his courtesy and beautiful script writing.

Job done.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Mishmash, what you have described is entering the child in the mother’s family book.

Birth certificates are different and if you haven’t already gotten it you need to get it asap.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

fax wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:34 am Mishmash, what you have described is entering the child in the mother’s family book.

Birth certificates are different and if you haven’t already gotten it you need to get it asap.
How did you draw that conclusion?? To me, it reads as if the child was entered in the birth registrar and birth certificate issued
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Well, the Sangkat lived up to (or is that down to ?) expectations.

Two days of being pissed around.

Hospital birth certificate. 3 copies. Provided
Passports. Both. Photocopied. Twice
Photos of each parent.
Some contract record book of our residence address in the Sangkat. We completed it at the same Sangkat in September last year (2018). This same Sangkat is now complaining that it is incomplete, but can’t or won’t specify how. But they now want to see two originals/copies. We only ever have had 1.

We ended up with 5 people (1 doing official selfies and some other mobile phone rubbish) discussing the issue, throwing the papers at my partner in a very dismissive manner, before they all went back to updating their Facebook profiles, with the parting shot- we have to complete this in Pursat.
Why?
Yes!
You leave now

KoWtF!

Sangkat office near Psar Chas. Street 118
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

@Freightdog
Cambodian bureaucracy can drive a sane man totally crazy. Been there, done it, but I read somewhere on this forum ketamine can be used to treat it.

Next time, if they (the Sangkat) want to send you to some other place, ask for a name and a phone number. If they have it (usually the do), call him/her on the spot. Big chance the high guy/lady will divert it back to the Sangkat at that time and they're more or less forced to serve you.

Or, in case the higher guy will tell you you actually have to go there, you trust in the Sangkat will be restored to level zero again.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Dammit! The surgeon at Khema told me that was a legit birth certificate. Looks like I'll have to use my connections.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

siliconlife wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:43 am Dammit! The surgeon at Khema told me that was a legit birth certificate. Looks like I'll have to use my connections.
This will be true. A legit medical birth certificate. Which sadly needs to be ratified as a bureaucratic brith certificate.

Sadly, a typical case of ‘as long as the paperwork is correct’, never mind the reality.

I’ve just arrived home, to discover that the head honcho has been in touch, finally (a la Kammekor’s post) This is the head honcho who was totally unknown to anyone this morning, but whom was involved yesterday.
Miraculously, the paperwork is now correct, but we need two witnesses to confirm that JP (freightdog jr) is in fact JP, and not someone else, since it is more than 30days since he was born.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:57 am
siliconlife wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:43 am Dammit! The surgeon at Khema told me that was a legit birth certificate. Looks like I'll have to use my connections.
This will be true. A legit medical birth certificate. Which sadly needs to be ratified as a bureaucratic brith certificate.

Sadly, a typical case of ‘as long as the paperwork is correct’, never mind the reality.

I’ve just arrived home, to discover that the head honcho has been in touch, finally (a la Kammekor’s post) This is the head honcho who was totally unknown to anyone this morning, but whom was involved yesterday.
Miraculously, the paperwork is now correct, but we need two witnesses to confirm that JP (freightdog jr) is in fact JP, and not someone else, since it is more than 30days since he was born.
I wish she'd told me I needed to go to the Sangkat, I live ages away from there now...

Yeah, my girl is a year old now, so I'm gonna have to go through the same thing.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:47 pm
2. There is ZERO requirement for the couple to be married in order for the birth cert to be issued with both parents names included on it...this is a legal right. If the Sangkat refuse its either because they are trying to milk more money out of the applicants, or they just don't have a fucking clue. Try presenting them with a copy of the Prakas on Marriage & Family and the Sub-Decree on Civil Status (Khmer version) with the relevant sections highlighted. If that fails, then cntact the Department of Identification, they have successfully helped dozens of Cambodian/foreign couples that I have advised to succesfully obtain their childrens birth certs.
Could you please point me in the direction where I can get a copy of that Prakas, PSD? TYIA
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic