Malindo Air. Avoid the fucktardery.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Malindo Air. Avoid the fucktardery.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

It started well.

The 1.20 am Perth to KL leg couldn’t have been better. First in line at check in, asked for a window seat, got emergency exit window with nobody next to me. Plane levels out after take-off, and the next thing I know it’s “Put seats in the upright position…” We’re about to land and I’ve had a 5 hour flight disappear in what seemed like minutes.

Boarded KL-Kathmandu on time. 20 minutes on the tarmac it’s starting to get a bit warm in the cabin. The captain informs us there’s a technical issue (not a/c related), we’ll be delayed a couple more minutes. OK, I’ll watch a movie . Nope, the entertainment ... “We regret to notify passengers that the entertainment system is not working at this time”

40 minutes on the tarmac jackets are coming off, hands one after another start rising up like periscopes throughout the cabin trying to get some air flow from overhead vents, 200 Nepalese factory workers returning home begin to sweat with the three westerners on board and the cabin is now hot. I state the obvious to one cabin crew member, her reply being “It will be OK once we’re in the air.” To myself…”I know, but we’re not in the fucking air, are we?”

Just over an hour on the tarmac we start moving. One and a half hours into the flight we get food. Imagine a dirty sink sponge wrapped in a rough wet rag splattered in lumpy swamp water. I couldn’t eat it, and I eat anything. Honestly, without doubt the most revolting, disgusting slop I’ve ever seen offered on a flight.

Almost 4 hours to the minute the engine revs drop and we start flying in circles above Kathmandu. The captain lets us know there’s a slight delay with no gates available at Tribhuvan airport, but we’re in line. The holding pattern continues for another thirty minutes before the captain again tells us we’re in line and it shouldn’t be much longer before we descend.

Another 15 minutes goes by. Captain announces we’re off to Varanasi to refuel, then we’ll come back and join the cue. We should be on the ground in Varanasi for 30 minutes. At the 45 minute mark on the ground in Varanasi four Indian officials get on the plane. Two start chatting up the cabin crew, two are in the cockpit doing paper work. We’re all sweating hot as fuck again when another westerner (an Aussie)lets out a yell “For fuck sakes turn the air con on!”

One hour after we landed in India we’re on or way back to Nepal. We land, get through the mayhem that’s Nepal immigration and head to baggage claim. Where are all the bags? A man comes over to tell us half of today’s flight still have their baggage in KL, we’ll need to go to the counter to give our details. Line up for half an hour, then give phone number, accommodation name etc. Come back at 7.30 pm one guy says, no, 9.30pm by another, no, 10 pm by yet another, that’s when the next Malindo flight will be arriving with our bags. Supposedly.

I taxi into Thamel, book into my guest house, get food, have a beer then taxi back to the airport, it takes an hour back because of traffic jams. I go to a counter and tell them the story. You need a form from another counter - a “lost baggage form”. But my baggage isn’t lost, I explain……this debate plays out for ten or so minutes between me and the clerk as I try to get into the terminal

Oh, you need a terminal pass. Go over there. I go over there. Yes, we can give you a pass into baggage claim, but you’ll have to come back later, after the plane has landed. Plane lands I go back and get told to wait for twenty minutes. Why, I ask. It is just that way, sir, I’m told. I finally get a pass into the terminal and line up at security...belts off again.

After five hours at Trbhuvan terminal I get my bags. It’s been 24 hours of Malindo Air fucktardery. I strongly recommend avoiding this mob as it certainly doesn’t do what is says on the can.

One of the counter assistant later informs me the captain while on the tarmac in KL was told of the delay issues at Kathmandu, but having already fueled, decided to off-load weight to give him more holding time if need be, hence the extended delay on the tarmac at KL.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Malindo Air. Avoid the fucktardery.

Post by taabarang »

It appears that Asian fucktardery is contagious, in fact compared to your experience Cambodia seems quite efficient. Unless of course you apply for s work permit.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

taabarang wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:45 am It appears that Asian fucktardery is contagious...
After a good night's sleep and breakfast I'm a little more forgiving, but not much. With a return ticket Perth-Kathmandu-Perth being less than $US400 one shouldn't expect too much, I guess.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 am It started well.

The 1.20 am Perth to KL leg couldn’t have been better. First in line at check in, asked for a window seat, got emergency exit window with nobody next to me. Plane levels out after take-off, and the next thing I know it’s “Put seats in the upright position…” We’re about to land and I’ve had a 5 hour flight disappear in what seemed like minutes.

Boarded KL-Kathmandu on time. 20 minutes on the tarmac it’s starting to get a bit warm in the cabin. The captain informs us there’s a technical issue (not a/c related), we’ll be delayed a couple more minutes. OK, I’ll watch a movie . Nope, the entertainment ... “We regret to notify passengers that the entertainment system is not working at this time”

40 minutes on the tarmac jackets are coming off, hands one after another start rising up like periscopes throughout the cabin trying to get some air flow from overhead vents, 200 Nepalese factory workers returning home begin to sweat with the three westerners on board and the cabin is now hot. I state the obvious to one cabin crew member, her reply being “It will be OK once we’re in the air.” To myself…”I know, but we’re not in the fucking air, are we?”

Just over an hour on the tarmac we start moving. One and a half hours into the flight we get food. Imagine a dirty sink sponge wrapped in a rough wet rag splattered in lumpy swamp water. I couldn’t eat it, and I eat anything. Honestly, without doubt the most revolting, disgusting slop I’ve ever seen offered on a flight.

Almost 4 hours to the minute the engine revs drop and we start flying in circles above Kathmandu. The captain lets us know there’s a slight delay with no gates available at Tribhuvan airport, but we’re in line. The holding pattern continues for another thirty minutes before the captain again tells us we’re in line and it shouldn’t be much longer before we descend.

Another 15 minutes goes by. Captain announces we’re off to Varanasi to refuel, then we’ll come back and join the cue. We should be on the ground in Varanasi for 30 minutes. At the 45 minute mark on the ground in Varanasi four Indian officials get on the plane. Two start chatting up the cabin crew, two are in the cockpit doing paper work. We’re all sweating hot as fuck again when another westerner (an Aussie)lets out a yell “For fuck sakes turn the air con on!”

One hour after we landed in India we’re on or way back to Nepal. We land, get through the mayhem that’s Nepal immigration and head to baggage claim. Where are all the bags? A man comes over to tell us half of today’s flight still have their baggage in KL, we’ll need to go to the counter to give our details. Line up for half an hour, then give phone number, accommodation name etc. Come back at 7.30 pm one guy says, no, 9.30pm by another, no, 10 pm by yet another, that’s when the next Malindo flight will be arriving with our bags. Supposedly.

I taxi into Thamel, book into my guest house, get food, have a beer then taxi back to the airport, it takes an hour back because of traffic jams. I go to a counter and tell them the story. You need a form from another counter - a “lost baggage form”. But my baggage isn’t lost, I explain……this debate plays out for ten or so minutes between me and the clerk as I try to get into the terminal

Oh, you need a terminal pass. Go over there. I go over there. Yes, we can give you a pass into baggage claim, but you’ll have to come back later, after the plane has landed. Plane lands I go back and get told to wait for twenty minutes. Why, I ask. It is just that way, sir, I’m told. I finally get a pass into the terminal and line up at security...belts off again.

After five hours at Trbhuvan terminal I get my bags. It’s been 24 hours of Malindo Air fucktardery. I strongly recommend avoiding this mob as it certainly doesn’t do what is says on the can.

One of the counter assistant later informs me the captain while on the tarmac in KL was told of the delay issues at Kathmandu, but having already fueled, decided to off-load weight to give him more holding time if need be, hence the extended delay on the tarmac at KL.
You shouldn't have go and fetch the bag yourself. Just tell them to bring it to your hotel and go and buy clothes/stuff you need for the wait and claim the expenses on the airline. Even AirAsia does it as long as you demand it because luggage related agreements is one of the things most countries/airlines universally follow.

But sorry to hear about it. I fly with Malindo somewhat frequently and never had any problems.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

All airlines struggle when things get disrupted and there a lot of pax to deal with.
It is horrible when you are on a full plane that is stuck on the tarmac due to ATC delays or whatever. The captain will not turn on the engines (I guess to save fuel and pollution) and so the aircon only works to a reduced level. OP was lucky they let him go to the lavatory.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:25 pm You shouldn't have go and fetch the bag yourself. Just tell them to bring it to your hotel ..
Of course this was my first request at baggage claim. But as baggage staff at Tribhuvan Airport aren't Malindo employees, they have no knowledge whatsoever of Malindo policy or procedure. We were directed to the Malindo city office for any requests to have the baggage delivered as well as compensation for taxi fares etc. It was night time with Malindo offices closed, and it seemed prudent to get the bags myself saving the further expense of extra clothes, not to mention dealing with more disinterested people, and the chance of my bags arriving at Tribhuvan to only disappear into thin air thereafter.

I'm afraid decades of living and traveling in the region have scared me to the point of not having much faith in local company procedures. If my bags were coming later that night, I was going to be there myself to get them, warding against the further possibility of misplacement or loss. Had the bags not arrived, I'd have no other alternative than going to the Malindo offices the next day.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:35 pm OP was lucky they let him go to the lavatory.
Nobody could use the toilet as it doesn't flush when grounded. I asked to use it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:57 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:35 pm OP was lucky they let him go to the lavatory.
Nobody could use the toilet as it doesn't flush when grounded. I asked to use it.
That's the case when not properly maintained. Normal airplane toilets work when grounded too.

It just crossed my mind maybe part of the bags were left intentionally due to weight restrictions. Quite common on long flights with single aisle aircraft.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

toilets on planes flush to holding tanks,
so why couldn't you use the toilet?

anyway,ur now in NEPAL!!!!!
Bhaktapur, , here you come
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Great... using them to travel to Bali in a few weeks.... do They weigh your carry on like jet star?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic