Malindo Air. Avoid the fucktardery.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Malindo Air. Avoid the fucktardery.

Post by hiway5 »

23 Sep 2019 02:25PM
www.channelnewsasia.com/

KUALA LUMPUR: Indonesian Lion Air's Malaysian subsidiary Malindo Air said on Monday that two former employees of its e-commerce contractor were responsible for its passenger data breach.

Malindo Air said in a statement that two former employees of e-commerce services provider GoQuo (M) Sdn Bhd in their development centre in India were found to have "improperly accessed and stole the personal data of our customers".

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/bu ... m-11934066
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:21 pmWith a return ticket Perth-Kathmandu-Perth being less than $US400 one shouldn't expect too much, I guess.
Indeed. I pay more than that flying from Hà Nội to Temple Town....
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:52 pm I read earlier this year that AAsia was going to enforce the 7kg limit for carry-on.
Has anybody run into this?
It's all a bit hit and miss with AA. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

But it's not just check-in where they can catch you out. I was recently at PP airport on the way to somewhere and my carry on was not weighed and it was therefore not 'tagged' with a little paper tag. The guy at the escalator who scans your boarding pass was on the look out for untagged carry-ons and sent me back to check in to get one. Very annoying. I suppose it is not too difficult for two people travelling together to check in separately and keep the overweight carry-ons out of the sight of the check in staff.

I have also been in KL where they have AA staff at pinch-points with a set of scales who randomly grab passengers and if they are on AA they weigh your carry-on.

The problem is 7kg is so restrictive and deliberately so. Most small cases are over 1kg to start with. It's almost impossible to keep below 7kg for anything less than just a few days.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Let's hope they don't hear about Ryanair's new bag size limit of 40x25x20. No weight limit though!
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-in ... bag-policy
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:00 pm
The problem is 7kg is so restrictive and deliberately so. Most small cases are over 1kg to start with. It's almost impossible to keep below 7kg for anything less than just a few days.
There are two factors here. The weight on the overhead compartments, and the space. If people could all take 10kg, where would you put it?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:36 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:00 pm
There are two factors here. The weight on the overhead compartments, and the space. If people could all take 10kg, where would you put it?
At 10kg I would put it in the carry on bag. I packed one once and it was 13kg.

The cheapo airlines brought all this crap onto their own heads by charging to put a bloody suitcase in the hold where they belong. They just got greedy. So people organised and repacked into small cases and carried them on and so the game began.

One of the airlines should build $10 to the price of all tickets and allow a 20kg bag into the hold and market it as FREE. Some will use it and others will still just carry on but the pressure on overhead cabin space would be relieved. If half the passengers avail themselves of the FREE luggage then it's $20 a bag anyway.

I would much prefer to wait 20 mins for a bag at the carousel than have to faff about with their 7kg limits.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:38 pm Let's hope they don't hear about Ryanair's new bag size limit of 40x25x20. No weight limit though!
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-in ... bag-policy
I loath Ryanair. They are the worst for extortionate charges.

From my understanding of that link, you now have effectively zero luggage space, even a carry-on small suitcase. 40 x 20 x 25 is a big handbag or a laptop case. Anything bigger and you now have to pay. I suspect they had no choice as any charges for handbags will reign upon them the wrath of the sisterhood.

Funny how everyone bringing on board a litre of flammable liquid (Booze) is still ok, despite it being an excellent accelerant in the event of a fire.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If you think traveling with a large bag is a problem, this is what I do.
One small carry on bag with a credit card and a spare pair of underpants, yet Australian border force still want to do a cavity search just to let you know they are in control.
One time I traveled with no bags, not even a carry on , telling them my bag was misplaced and would be on the next plane following, but they still held me for a hour in case I had given my bag to someone else to carry through.

It's all about we have control over you.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Just to put a bow on it.

Two days before I was due to fly back to Australia Malindo advised by email the flight had been brought forward two hours with the new departure time of 8.20 pm. Of course at 9.20pm we were still on the tarmac waiting for those eight or so people who didn't get the message. We were also delayed at KL half an hour on the return leg. I had four separate flights with Malindo on this trip with three of them being delayed, not including a diversion to India for fuel. The flight departure board in KL this morning also showed an inordinate number of Malindo flights to be delayed to a lot of there destinations.

On three legs of the Nepal trip a simple request for a window seat resulted in emergency exit window seats. The food on the return trip was also very good, the butter chicken particularly impressive for airline food, I thought.

Malindo seem to be quite cheap with in-flight meals and entertainment (when working) provided, but for a first experience, the pain and puss of having to return to TIA (Nepal airport) for my bags because the airline apparently dropped them to save weight, the in-flight entertainments system rarely working, and the constant delays seemingly endemic with the carrier (from my personal experience and what I saw on KL departure boards), I'm not sure I'd travel again with them over any distance - maybe do a small hop with carry on only . Those roomy emergency exit window seats at no charge from a simple request garnered some favor, however.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic