rental contract dispute

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
yaran
Tourist
Great Britain

rental contract dispute

Post by yaran »

I live in PP, have a 6 month contract that ends early nov, but my visa ends around 10 days earlier. I asked my landlord could he give me deposit back early, just deduct the elec, water etc.. he said no, and if I leave early I break the contract. I asked can he transfer me money via wing on the actual end of contract and he said no if I leave early I can't receive deposit. my contract I signed does say if I leave early then I lose deposit. But am I really leaving early if I already pay for all 6 months rent (my next and last rent payment is due start of oct) and ask to receive the deposit back via transfer, I could leave keys in room or maybe leave keys with a friend to hand to him (although contract also mentions need to ask permission before giving keys to anyone else), yes I am not there on end of contract but I haven't ended contract early, leaving the country doesn't end a contract imo. Other things I've considered: overstay, isn't worth it; going out and coming back, I have a single entry visa for vn so it would really mess it up, money is a bit tight at the moment anyway.
So failing all that, if I leave and don't pay final month, obviously not expecting deposit back, could there be any trouble arising from this? as in trouble re-entering cambodia, trouble with other landlords etc..? The contract says if I leave early the deposit will become invalid.. seems kind of written into the contract then and shouldn't be legal or whatever issues.
Any help really appreciated, this is stressing me quite a lot, especially as the landlord speaks very little English.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: rental contract dispute

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Most people just use their deposit in lieu of the last months rent, that's standard practice here. Simple solution for you...don't pay the last months rent, no trouble will arise from this.
yaran
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by yaran »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:01 pm Most people just use their deposit in lieu of the last months rent, that's standard practice here. Simple solution for you...don't pay the last months rent, no trouble will arise from this.
The problem is I pay rent for the month coming, and I pay electricity, water etc.. for the month prior. He won't give me deposit until start of nov when my contract ends, and I'm leaving end of Oct. I have to pay rent for final month of October at start of October.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

yaran wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:15 pm I have to pay rent for final month of October at start of October.
Don't, problem solved.
yaran
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by yaran »

fax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:16 pm
yaran wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:15 pm I have to pay rent for final month of October at start of October.
Don't, problem solved.
Somewhat, but then I'd have to find alternative accommodation for my last few weeks in Cambodia, Ideally I'd have liked to receive my deposit back after completing the contract just not in person, either via a friend or via a transfer directly from landlord. It also doesn't solve because then I've effectively paid 6 months rent for a 5 month stay. But at least knowing this won't turn into some legal issue if I break my contract is something.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

So your last month of contractual rent is October, just don't pay it as your deposit will cover it, that's standard practice (unless you live in a serviced apartment/condo?)...I don't see what the issue is?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

yaran wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:26 pm some legal issue if I break my contract is something.
There is no legal issue of breaking a rental contract.
yaran
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by yaran »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:35 pm So your last month of contractual rent is October, just don't pay it as your deposit will cover it, that's standard practice (unless you live in a serviced apartment/condo?)...I don't see what the issue is?
so my last month is from oct 1st-nov 1st, if i dont pay it I will have to leave oct 1st, so then ill have paid 5 months + deposit and only stayed here for 5 months. If I could pay on nov 1st it would be no problem I could just say keep the deposit..
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

yaran wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:53 pm so my last month is from oct 1st-nov 1st, if i dont pay it I will have to leave oct 1st
Your deposit covers rent from 1st October until 1st November. You leave on 1st November and you pay rent using the deposit. In other words your landlord keeps the deposit money and you don't give him more.
yaran
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by yaran »

fax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:55 pm
yaran wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:53 pm so my last month is from oct 1st-nov 1st, if i dont pay it I will have to leave oct 1st
Your deposit covers rent from 1st October until 1st November. You leave on 1st November and you pay rent using the deposit. In other words your landlord keeps the deposit money and you don't give him more.
One of my main issues is I need to leave the country earlier than my contract ends, which is why it's annoying my landlord can't send me a wing transfer or similar to me when id already have completed the contract. And even without that, I can't use my deposit to pay my last months rent because he wont allow me to use the deposit until nov 1st, and my rent has to be paid within a few days of it due Oct1st. I pay for the month coming not the month that has just past. So I would already have had to pay for last month to still be here on nov 1st even if I was in the country.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic