rental contract dispute

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: rental contract dispute

Post by fax »

yaran wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:03 pm which is why it's annoying my landlord can't send me a wing transfer or similar
What's annoying about your landlord is that he's ripping you off.

On the day of your departure, smash the windows and bring the TV with you. Spray graffiti on the walls expressing your opinion about the kept deposit. Cause as much damage as the deposit is worth so that your landlord has something to use it for. Don't worry, you're already paying for it.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:08 pm
yaran wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:03 pm which is why it's annoying my landlord can't send me a wing transfer or similar
What's annoying about your landlord is that he's ripping you off.

On the day of your departure, smash the windows and bring the TV with you. Spray graffiti on the walls expressing your opinion about the kept deposit. Cause as much damage as the deposit is worth so that your landlord has something to use it for. Don't worry, you're already paying for it.

And flush the pillows down the toilet along with the plug from the TV and fridge, then have a feed of prawns and put the prawn shells inside the mattress. Don't worry he won't know until a few days after you have left.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

On Oct 1st you do not pay the rent ... you continue to live in the apartment until you leave prior to Nov 1st ...your deposit covers the rent from Oct 1st-Nov 1st.

This is standard practice. The only issue will be if you paid more than 1 months deposit.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Duncan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:17 pm flush the pillows down the toilet along with the plug from the TV and fridge
Flip the main power switch and disconnect every wall socket and light button on both ends.

Turn the fridge upside down.

Clog the sink.

Smear poop on the top of every blade of every ceiling fan.

Draw swastikas on the bottom of the mattress.
yaran
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by yaran »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:17 pm On Oct 1st you do not pay the rent ... you continue to live in the apartment until you leave prior to Nov 1st ...your deposit covers the rent from Oct 1st-Nov 1st.

This is standard practice. The only issue will be if you paid more than 1 months deposit.
I can try, but it doesn't mention that anywhere in contract, basically says, if don't pay within 5 days of rent bill (which would be oct 1st) you will invalid contract and end contract. So I don't really see how I could stay an extra 2 or so weeks.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:20 pm
Duncan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:17 pm flush the pillows down the toilet along with the plug from the TV and fridge
Flip the main power switch and disconnect every wall socket and light button on both ends.

Turn the fridge upside down.

Clog the sink.

Smear poop on the top of every blade of every ceiling fan.

Draw swastikas on the bottom of the mattress.

Are you sugesting the Star of David should be drawn on the top?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Get the bikies to sort him out. Oh hang on....
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:On Oct 1st you do not pay the rent ... you continue to live in the apartment until you leave prior to Nov 1st ...your deposit covers the rent from Oct 1st-Nov 1st.

Why would that work? The landlord will say: "Where's the rent?". After a few days of excuses the landlord will kick him out and keep the deposit regardless. Why would he let him stay unless specifically stipulated that the deposit covers the last month?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

yaran wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:20 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:17 pm On Oct 1st you do not pay the rent ... you continue to live in the apartment until you leave prior to Nov 1st ...your deposit covers the rent from Oct 1st-Nov 1st.

I can try, but it doesn't mention that anywhere in contract, basically says, if don't pay within 5 days of rent bill (which would be oct 1st) you will invalid contract and end contract. So I don't really see how I could stay an extra 2 or so weeks.
Ok, never ever seen that in a contract here. Most landlords accept that the deposit will cover the final months rent, have you even asked the landlord if that is acceptable to him/her? Worth a try.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:29 pmWhy would that work? The landlord will say: "Where's the rent?". After a few days of excuses the landlord will kick him out and keep the deposit regardless. Why would he let him stay unless specifically stipulated that the deposit covers the last month?
Like I said, that's the norm with most landlords, they accept that the deposit will be used in lieu of the final months rent, but in his case it may not be possible due to the clause in his contract, which he posted after my posts.
yaran
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by yaran »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:14 pm
yaran wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:20 pm

Ok, never ever seen that in a contract here. Most landlords accept that the deposit will cover the final months rent, have you even asked the landlord if that is acceptable to him/her? Worth a try.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:29 pmWhy would that work? The landlord will say: "Where's the rent?". After a few days of excuses the landlord will kick him out and keep the deposit regardless. Why would he let him stay unless specifically stipulated that the deposit covers the last month?
Like I said, that's the norm with most landlords, they accept that the deposit will be used in lieu of the final months rent, but in his case it may not be possible due to the clause in his contract, which he posted after my posts.
My experience has always been you pay for the month coming but the utility bill for the month prior, when you move in most places they ask for a deposit+1st months rent, so itd make sense you are always paying for the coming month, then you can use deposit to pay for last months utility bill and get the rest back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic