New minimum wage figures tabled

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

New minimum wage figures tabled

Post by Adam Xie »

Khmer times:

Mr Thorn said unions proposed $195, while the government and employers proposed $187 and $186, respectively.

“The government proposed $187 per month for garment and footwear factory workers in 2020,” he said.

He noted that previously, unions proposed $199, while employers proposed $184.5.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50644500/n ... es-tabled/

Many employer argued that, the increasing of minimum wage is not problem, problem is when minimum wage increased, but productivity remains slug, need to point out, they forgot the factor of Inflation...currently an apple is about USd1.25
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: New minimum wage figures tabled

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Remember when the political and biz bosses said wages could not possibly exceed $50 a month?
Workers starving on the factory floor, and union members bashed and shot on the picket lines - just to get a living wage?
Not so long ago was it?

That will never change - the bosses mealy mouth talk of "productivity" is BS.
According to them NO businesses can afford to pay a living wage.
The workers will always have to fight tooth and nail not to starve. including getting out onto the streets at times.
- despite the risk of getting bashed and shot.

(Sorry Adam, but the employer groups lost me a long time ago when it comes to talk of fair pay and humane conditions. - by their history of unconscionable conduct)
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:49 am Remember when the political and biz bosses said wages could not possibly exceed $50 a month?
Workers starving on the factory floor, and union members bashed and shot on the picket lines - just to get a living wage?
Not so long ago was it?

That will never change - the bosses mealy mouth talk of "productivity" is BS.
According to them NO businesses can afford to pay a living wage.
The workers will always have to fight tooth and nail not to starve. including getting out onto the streets at times.
- despite the risk of getting bashed and shot.

(Sorry Adam, but the employer groups lost me a long time ago when it comes to talk of fair pay and humane conditions. - by their history of unconscionable conduct)
I actually agreed with what you said, living cost in Khmer is really high at moment, and minimum wage suppose to be a wage that allows worker to live in reasonably ok standards (Enough to buy proper food and to rent a proper space to sleep and have some left over)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:11 pm Posted here:
post363922.html?hilit=minimum%20wage#p363922
Oh my...should I delete my post?
Sorry, will be more careful before posting next time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic