How do you view 'Smart' prepaid data usage?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fitnesspm
Tourist
Australia

How do you view 'Smart' prepaid data usage?

Post by fitnesspm »

I purchased a 7GB prepaid data plan with Smart mobile. I downloaded the Smart app where it says

'Stream on Balance.'
3318. 4 USD
of 3333 USD
expires in 26 days.

How do I view the rest of my data for the month?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How do you view 'Smart' prepaid data usage?

Post by explorer »

I have found the information you get is many days behind. It can show you have a lot of data, then soon after you have none left. Then any other credit you have on your smart phone will be used up at a stupid rate, before you find out your data is used up. So I have not used it for the last couple of years. Unless it has improved, it is useless. I did wonder if it was an intentional scam.

You can set up an Android phone to record your data. However, it may not count data exactly the same way, so it might not be exactly the same, but it will give you a good indication.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Behold the power of a 2 min search on google!!!

You have selected Stream On 8 by the looks of it.. this gives you 3333US$ of credit. Now what does that relate to in terms of actual data??

A tricky one... one must find the cost of the data... a difficult task as it doesn’t appear to be listed on the package info.
Hmmmm where could it be??

Wait... those pesky terms and conditions!!

An lo.. after almost a full 2 minutes I came across the fabled and reclusive information!

The main balance charging rates (while in Cambodia): ​
Calls and SMS to Smart: 5 cents/min (12 a.m. to 4:59 p.m.), 7 cents/min (5 p.m. to 11:59 a.m.), 3 cents/SMS and 2.5 cents/MB. ​
Calls and SMS to other networks: 8 cents/min and 5 cents/SMS.

Can you spot it?? It hiding in there.. look closely..... your huge balance is going down by 2.5c per mb data.

All hail the great and powerful google!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

explorer wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 am I have found the information you get is many days behind. It can show you have a lot of data, then soon after you have none left. Then any other credit you have on your smart phone will be used up at a stupid rate, before you find out your data is used up. So I have not used it for the last couple of years. Unless it has improved, it is useless. I did wonder if it was an intentional scam.

You can set up an Android phone to record your data. However, it may not count data exactly the same way, so it might not be exactly the same, but it will give you a good indication.
The app is SmartNas.. I use it and a smaller data package. I found it quite accurate in its accounting of data used.
One thing I do make sure is active though is a data saving mode that restricts background access to the mobile data. Since I am always on I only allow 1 app unrestricted access and that telegram for work messages.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

^^^^ this.

I've also found the app very accurate and I get sms messages when I hit certain thresholds. I think I have the same plan which gived me 8 gigs of data for USD$1.

And auto renews each week (its use it or lose it)
fitnesspm
Tourist
Australia

Post by fitnesspm »

Why the hell is it in US dollars? Is there a way to set it to 'normal' to GB like every other prepaid mobile service on the planet?
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Not that I know of. If you find a way, please post it.

I find the whole concept of buy $333 dollars of credit for $1 dollar a but silly to begin with.

But it shows you $ because that credit can be used for other prepaid servicss like calls or SMS.

Advantage to the telco is its really difficult to figure out the true cost of any usage.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

2.5c for 1MB of data....... So let’s see.

$3,333/$0.025= your allowance in MB.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

To save you even opening your calculator app... let me break it down for you.

You get 1gb (1,000MB) for every $25.

That’s 130GB of data ... of course phone calls and texts will also come of your allowance and this will reduce the potential max data allowance.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

You know, I never actually checked the calcs. The phamphlet said 8 gigs/week and that was just more then I needed. But then I guess we should know better then to trust the phamplet in KoW....

But you still have a couple more steps to go to get to the true cost. Then you'll need to do that for the next mobile provider....

And the you can figure out if your overpaying smart by 100ths of a penny per GB. :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic