So how do I pay the rent? Will an American credit/debt card work?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
NotTheBrightest
Tourist
United States of America

So how do I pay the rent? Will an American credit/debt card work?

Post by NotTheBrightest »

Do I have to withdrawal from my account with cash?
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Re: So how do I pay the rent? Will an American credit/debt card work?

Post by CamExpat »

I pay mine via bank transfer from a local (ABA) account to the landlord's local account (ABA). The landlord (of a large serviced apartment) has accounts at 2 banks where tenants can deposit rent. This was true of my internet service provider who had 4 accounts at 4 different banks.

My landlord also accepted cash, but I'm not really keen on making large cash transactions. Bank transfers leave a paper trail if ever there is a dispute and I am not great at keeping track of things like paper receipts.

Suspect options vary depending on your landlord.

Brian
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

If you are bringing a card from overseas it is essential to notify the issuer that you are traveling or it will be locked.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

The vast majority of landlords in Cambodia will not accept credit cards or debit cards or checks or anything except cash.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Do Cambodian banks issue checks?

One of my long-standing pet peeves is landlords in some countries who still expect post dated checks (or some condo management offices for deposits).

It annoys me I have to get checks issues just for them.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

NotTheBrightest wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:55 am Do I have to withdrawal from my account with cash?
Its probably worth noting that outside of big malls, hotels and big chain restaurants, credit card acceptance by merchants is very rare here.

I have been able to do ABA account transfers to shop owners (twice) on rare occaisions.

PI Pay is more common but still not as widely accepted as I thought when I got the App.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

CamExpat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:40 am Do Cambodian banks issue checks?
Yes
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

fax wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:17 am
CamExpat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:40 am Do Cambodian banks issue checks?
Yes
Warning though- bouncing a cheque here = jail time.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

As in many APAC countries. Too easy for Fraud otherwise.

I have a bad habit of bouncing checks just cause I forget about them..... especially post dated....

Part of the reason I dislike them so much.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

If your landlord also owns a shop or restaurant then you may be able to pay via credit card. I did for a while. When negotiating the next year's lease for the 2nd year I offered to pay cash for a reduced rent and they accepted. But I'd say 99% of landlords expect you to pay via cash or bank transfer.

It took some convincing on my part that I wouldn't use the card and then later have the transactions cancelled or challenged. I think the biggest reason they prefer the cash is so they don't have a paper trail showing how much they are making. So once a month, we make a withdrawal and drive over and pay the rent. Not something I'm a huge fan of but we do it. I transfer money to Cambodia once a year via wire transfer to our local bank account.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic