Seeing 4 groups of tourists victim of emptying their pockets in street 144

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Seeing 4 groups of tourists victim of emptying their pockets in street 144

Post by onico »

Yesterday, I was outside to take a drink in the street 144 near Sisowath Quay.

We was witness of 4 stories which scared me and make me feel insecure even if I live here for 4 years.

1st story : Common pickpocket.

An Aussie drunk tourist (in a group of 4 mates) with a training pants was approached by two boys (meth head) and they discreetly took the iPhone of the tourist from the large pocket of his training pant. Then, he realize that after few minutes and came cry in the bar.

Basic.

2nd story : Using girls.

The two sexy girls come near the boy "hello hello" and then, three meth boys come, take the arms of the barang walker, put their hands in the pockets, emptying that.

:o

Stories 3 and 4 : similars and violent.

The foreigner walk deep inside the dark street, then, 4 meth boys (or 5 I am not sure) came violently, block the arms of the foreigner and make a full body search (don't rely on your under clothes belt pouch pocket). :dragonchase:

The foreigners put their arms up in the air because they were scared : take it all !

:dm:

Khmer friends in the bar told us that this kind of stories happen every night in that street. They also told us that this team often use fake guns (probably fake... but not sure :beer3: )

One more time,

I live here for 4 years. Nothing never happen to me. I am aware of the phone snatching, money theft in massage parlors, risks in some areas... but these scenes was like the cherry on the cake. Before in my mind, I was thinking, just be careful and it's okay, but I am not so much sure about that after seen that.

Going out at night ?

Maybe better to go outside with maximum 150$, no credit cards and your old cheap phone.
Last edited by onico on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Seeing 4 groups of tourists victim of emptying their pockets in street 144

Post by Gator »

You saw all this in 1 night?
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

Gator wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 pm You saw all this in 1 night?
Yes!!! :shock: drinking on the terrace

Khmer friends tell to the Aussie guy (usual) : don't call police, they will not help you...
Basic as you know.

Another good practice I guess : going to point A to point B with your rickshaw driver and don't want to walk around for fun and fresh air late at night... never.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

onico wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:57 pm Yesterday, I was outside to take a drink in the street 144 near Sisowath Quay.

We was witness of 4 stories which scared me and make me feel insecure even if I live here for 4 years.

Going out at night ?

Maybe better to go outside with maximum 150$, no credit cards and your old cheap phone.
Yes. Be careful on riverside and adjourning streets. Just like the road to and from the airport. These are prime bag and phone snatching areas. Stay safe.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:24 pm Yes. Be careful on riverside and adjourning streets. Just like the road to and from the airport. These are prime bag and phone snatching areas. Stay safe.
True, there have always been gangs of extremely dodgy glue-sniffers/ drug addicts along the riverside, and the streets off it must attract thieves from all over the city because of the large concentration of foreigners around there. It's easy to rob someone drunk or anyone who seems unfamiliar with the area. Street 178 has always been terrible too, but might not be quite as bad since the park was refurbished. I use my special sketchy-sense to avoid them. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Guess I've always been lucky. None of this shit ever happens to me.

*knocks on wood *
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:51 pm Guess I've always been lucky. None of this shit ever happens to me.

*knocks on wood *
Me neither - knock on wood lol - but you can see how it happens when newbies arrive in Phnom Penh. Gangs of beggars and scammers on riverside and you're a bit jet-lagged. Easy prey.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Quote ] Yesterday, I was outside to take a drink in the street 144 near Sisowath Quay.

You saw all this in 1 night?
Quote ] Yes!!! :shock: drinking on the terrace

I'm trying to avoid posting on this forum,,,,, Too many glue sniffers here.

Good night.
Sleep tight
Watch the glue sniffers
Don't bite
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:51 pm Guess I've always been lucky. None of this shit ever happens to me.

*knocks on wood *
agree; when i lived in PP 2008/09 used to often walk the dark streets late at night, stopped to chat with rickshaw drivers playing cards and drinking
And even on my frequent visits have never seen anyone robbed and more than once was around the walkabout at 4 am.

GF sister had her gold chain ripped of her neck thou Twice..

I always wonder if its a vibe or something that some people give off that makes losers think they are vulnerable.
I often wander in poor/lower class areas in the places i visit with cameras and wearing a gold chain, yet never been hassled. Perhaps its my Buddha protecting me?
I DONT do this drunk thou

Is the city getting worse?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 pm

*knocks on wood *
agree; when i lived in PP 2008/09 used to often walk the dark streets late at night, stopped to chat with rickshaw drivers playing cards and drinking
And even on my frequent visits have never seen anyone robbed and more than once was around the walkabout at 4 am.

GF sister had her gold chain ripped of her neck thou Twice..

I always wonder if its a vibe or something that some people give off that makes losers think they are vulnerable.
I often wander in poor/lower class areas in the places i visit with cameras and wearing a gold chain, yet never been hassled. Perhaps its my Buddha protecting me?
I DONT do this drunk thou

Is the city getting worse?
I don't think so. In the time I was there, 2017-2019, never experienced a single robbery/theft. Heard about them, but never saw. The only thing I ever saw was a barang trying to roofie a lass in a bar. Mind you, I never walked with my phone out, don't wear jewellery and dress modestly. I was equally at home on Riverside as I was around my home in BKK1. Maybe I just got lucky. *Also Knocks On Wood*
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic