Vote GOP or America will end up with Pol Pot running the country

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Vote GOP or America will end up with Pol Pot running the country

Post by taabarang »

"The KR could not have grown from a few thousand in '69 to complete victory in '75 without R Nixon and H Kissinger.

( IMO only
.. and the general consensus of history)"

That "general consensus" should not ignore Sihanouk's naive and two-faced political role he played in the demise of his country.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Don't worry about it! The next POTUS will be whoever they choose.

The idea that the voters choose the president is clearly ludicrous. The elections and the sort of propaganda seen in this video are just part of a huge psy-ops designed to keep the slaves busy and distracted.

We've all read W. Reich's "The Mass Psychology of Fascism", right?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Its a terrible movie, but the last 2 minutes isn't bad.

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^^^^^^
Speaking of dictators..

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

taabarang wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:41 am "The KR could not have grown from a few thousand in '69 to complete victory in '75 without R Nixon and H Kissinger.

( IMO only
.. and the general consensus of history)"

That "general consensus" should not ignore Sihanouk's naive and two-faced political role he played in the demise of his country.
Whatever ones personal opinion of Sihanouk he was certainly not naive and was a very astute political operator working in an extremely difficult time in Cambodian history, having to balance the effect of the USA and the Communist influence on his country during the Vietnam War. One could argue that "Nixon and Kissinger" and the Lon Nol coup, lead Sihanouk into siding with the KR and contributing to the ensuing problems Cambodia faced. However Sihanouk's tacit support to the USA by "turning a blind eye" to the bombing in Cambodia and thus causing unrest in the country may have lead to or contributed to the Coup.

When the Vietnam War threatened to engulf the region, he tried to carve out a neutral role for Cambodia, siding neither with the Communists nor the United States. But when the Vietnamese Communists began using the port of Sihanoukville and Cambodia’s eastern border to ship military supplies on what was known as the Ho Chi Minh Trail, he took steps to repair relations with the United States. He turned a blind eye when the Nixon administration undertook a secret bombing campaign in 1969 against the border area of Cambodia. But this only further unsettled his country and led to a coup that ousted him the next year.https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/worl ... at-89.html

Despite his attempt to repair relations with the USA during this period, he felt that the USA had reciprocated by not supporting him but rather orchestrated a coup against him to further their own ends at the detriment to the country.

"Convinced that the United States had been behind the overthrow, King Sihanouk allied himself with the Khmer Rouge at the urging of his Chinese patrons, giving the Cambodian Communists his prestige and enormous popularity. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/worl ... at-89.html

“History is already recorded. If there was no support from the US government, there would be no coup,” CPP spokesman Sok Eysan said yesterday. “It’s not only me, most Cambodians know this, especially victims of the US’s nearly three million bombs.”.......................................

......................“Recently, [the US embassy] said publicly it was not involved in the coup led by Lon Nol in the 1970s,” it said. “In fact, the coup that plunged Cambodia into years of war [did not involve] the US, but it was the CIA.

Sambo Manara, a professor of history at the Royal University of Phnom Penh, yesterday said there were many reasons why the ousting of Prince Sihanouk happened, including the regional instability caused by the Vietnam War. He said that even though there is no direct evidence that the US government was behind the ousting, the US quickly supported Lon Nol’s regime through loans and aid packages. “After the coup, who supported them? Where did their weapons come from?” Mr Manara said. “The two great powers were not directly involved, but they were spreading their ideologies to Cambodia.” “They cannot deny their involvement in Cambodia’s civil war,” he added.https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50587785/l ... ecades-on/

Criticized throughout his life for these dramatic shifts in allegiances, King Sihanouk said he followed only one course in politics: “the defense of the independence, the territorial integrity and the dignity of my country and my people.”

In fact, he skillfully manipulated the great powers, usually with the support of China, to ensure his survival as well as his country’s independence."
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/worl ... at-89.html
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

But when the Vietnamese Communists began using the port of Sihanoukville and Cambodia’s eastern border to ship military supplies on what was known as the Ho Chi Minh Trail, he took steps to repair relations with the United States. He turned a blind eye when the Nixon administration undertook a secret bombing campaign in 1969 against the border area of Cambodia.
Just on this point, I presume the Vietnamese didn't seek approval to use Cambodia's sovereign territory for shipping military supplies before the US bombing began? Were the Cambodians aware of the extent of what was going on? If so, what was the reaction from the Cambodian military and political authorities? Wouldn't they have seen it as a violation of border security or were they powerless to enforce it coz they were seeking neutrality?

Is this what led to Nixon bombing Cambodian territory with a view that 'if the Cambodians can't enforce their border security, we'll do it for them'?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The first rule of international history.

Whitey can do no right..

Only wrong.

It doesn’t matter that Vietnam was shipping weapons through Sihanoukville and across the border.

It only matters that the US was bombing in response. Unfortunately it was bombing the wrong place.

Even if the US bombed Sihanoukville port to smithereens and stopped the Vietnamese, Nixon and Kissinger would always need to be blamed.

Westerner bad.

I learned all I need to know about life from CEO.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:38 pm The first rule of international history.

Whitey can do no right..

Only wrong.

It doesn’t matter that Vietnam was shipping weapons through Sihanoukville and across the border.

It only matters that the US was bombing in response. Unfortunately it was bombing the wrong place.

Even if the US bombed Sihanoukville port to smithereens and stopped the Vietnamese, Nixon and Kissinger would always need to be blamed.

Westerner bad.

I take offense to an Asian who refers to my people as "whitey". I Don t refer to Asians as yellows and I find it very telling this particular Asian complained about the discrimination his father was subjected to but engages in slurs himself.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Isaanbarang wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:03 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:38 pm The first rule of international history.

Whitey can do no right..

Only wrong.

Westerner bad.

I take offense to an Asian who refers to my people as "whitey". I Don t refer to Asians as yellows and I find it very telling this particular Asian complained about the discrimination his father was subjected to but engages in slurs himself.
Yes, quite right. No need to bring race into it.

And just to clarify my earlier post, I didn't mean to infer that it was OK for Nixon to bomb without authority from Cambodian authorities coz the Vietnamese transported arms earlier without authority too. If true, both were violations of sovereign territory and shouldn't be condoned imo . It obviously had very drastic consequences for this country.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

Kissinger is a war criminal, Nixon too but Kissinger still walks amongst us. There are laws and the bombing of Cambodia and Laos without the consent of the American people was a crime.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic