Ripped off at exchange booth at airport

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fitnesspm
Tourist
Australia

Ripped off at exchange booth at airport

Post by fitnesspm »

I'm new to Cambodia where I exchanged about $250US (Baht) to Riel today at PP airport. I noticed the exchange rate is very low (110: Baht to Riel) where I paid about $50 in an exchange fee. Online it the exchange rate is 132 where these no way that I should be paying such a low exchange rate. On the receipt, it says CAB Bank with an address at the bottom and contact number. I feel like going to the CAB Bank and complaining tomorrow or is this normal here?
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Ripped off at exchange booth at airport

Post by samrong01 »

Its normal everywhere. Never change money at an airport anywhere in the world.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

With due respect, Fit - airports are ALWays the worst places in the world to change money. They have you over a barrel and they know it.
CBA and other money changers at the airport pay big money to have outlets there - for this very reason.

I believe in making complaints when the angst is worth it. In this case, you would almost certainly be wasting your time.
Enjoy your time in Cambodia regardless.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Why the hell did you exchange it if the rate was so shitty? Go to an ATM for some dollars and change it in the city at a better rate. Problem solved.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Cambodia can be a bitch, and this was just the airport. Watch your back.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

You'd be well advised to read everything on CEO in relation to massage parlors, tuk tuk drivers, bar girls, ATMs, buses, meth, sunscreen...before heading out next.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

fitnesspm wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:48 am I'm new to Cambodia where I exchanged about $250US (Baht) to Riel today at PP airport. I noticed the exchange rate is very low (110: Baht to Riel) where I paid about $50 in an exchange fee. Online it the exchange rate is 132 where these no way that I should be paying such a low exchange rate. On the receipt, it says CAB Bank with an address at the bottom and contact number. I feel like going to the CAB Bank and complaining tomorrow or is this normal here?
How many baht did you hand over and how many riel did you get in return? Or did you change baht for dollars?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:22 am With due respect, Fit - airports are ALWays the worst places in the world to change money. They have you over a barrel and they know it.
CBA and other money changers at the airport pay big money to have outlets there - for this very reason.

I believe in making complaints when the angst is worth it. In this case, you would almost certainly be wasting your time.
Enjoy your time in Cambodia regardless.
EXCEPT Burma::::
otherwise ONLY change enough money at airport to pay fortaxi to where ever your staying..
Complaining wont do one bit of good, rates are clearly posted as are fees. If you didn't accept their fees ,you didn't have to change...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

You should have changed Baht to dollars in Thailand the day before you left. You would have got pretty decent rates.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

I've been surprised by how good the rates at the money-changers are. Should have written it down at the time- cos now i'm doubting myself, but I'm pretty sure they gave virtually the same as the rate on XE.com- whereas my nz bank naturally charges around a 2c margin.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic