144 Chinese Arrested for Cyber-Crimes in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 144 Chinese Arrested for Cyber-Crimes in Phnom Penh

Post by frank lee bent »

probably can get a halal one from a Uighur
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

I think it's unlikely that these groups are being fingered by cambodian "cyber-police"

monstra mihi bona!
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

I wish forum moderators would at least try to keep a thread on topic.
Suppose it's a wish, here as well as on TOF.
Much more fun to just let it go off-track with all the meth-heads around here.

You know what?

FU
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

what are you even talking about frazzled77?
the topic is 'arrests of chinese cybercriminals'

monstra mihi bona!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I think it's unlikely that these groups are being fingered by cambodian "cyber-police"
agree
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:16 am probably can get a halal one from a Uighur
Thanks, i'd prefer that.
But only if they have a cyber crime history in cambodia also.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

With all these arrest that's a lot of people where does the Cambodian police lock them up?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Many likely to be put on a charter flight back to China.

The way it's going with daily arrests in the hundreds the charter flights for Chinese criminals would just refuel and head back for another load.

Its a good question? Whats the punishment back in China?

Doesn't seem to be putting Chinese criminals and scammers off!!! $25,000 rent a month shows how much money they are making from scamming their fellow countrymen!!

They airport authorities must have a daily slot for the 'Bye Bye Chinese Criminal's Charter Flight'!!!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

frizzie77 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:16 pm WTF is going on with all these arrests of Chinese?

100-something here, 70-something there, a few 80-what somewhere else and then a few days later another 100-whatever at yet another place. If this is just - as the saying goes - the 'tip of the iceberg' then there are tens of thousands (if not more) Chinese within Cambodia involved in these online scams.

I hope most of them will be rounded up, as I have no doubt that these are China's finest, but WTF has been 'allowed' here in Cambodia to have the numbers swelled like this? Am I naive? I probably am.

Also, what will it mean for the condo market in Phnom Penh?
"The Chinese group were renting the entire condo building for $ 25,000 a month"
Hm, it's a whole condo building, suddenly 'relieved' of its tenants, I'm sure the owner is not happy...

I also suppose it's not the only condo building having had this kind of customers...
I suspect the owner either knew very well what was going on, or just as likely, the gangs real bosses own the building through a proxy and makes a notional rent payment to create the impression the 'criminals' are just tenants. That way they get the privacy they require.

Those arrested are the minions plus the handlers. The real bosses probably never set foot in the place.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

frizzie77 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 am just let it go off-track with all the meth-heads around here.

You know what?

FU
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic