My Buddhist Monk Reading Club.

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

My Buddhist Monk Reading Club.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:12 am

One of the first classes Ben taught at Preah Sihanouk Raja Buddhist University, where he introduced how to write a paragraph.
Photo Credit: Benjamin Ball / The Daily Princetonian

By Benjamin Ball
Sep 7, 2019

We read excerpts from memoirs. We read love letters. We read scientific essays on everything from sleep to the importance of owning a dog.

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 3 p.m., reading club began. A group of about 10 Theravada Buddhist monks, followed by about a half-dozen laypeople, would file into a small classroom in a small university in the small(ish) town of Battambang, Cambodia. And then, we would read.

But what I loved most about the summer were the stories I was told. From hearing Venerable Tola talk about growing up listening to Sinn Sisamuth, the “Elvis of Cambodia,” and wanting to be just like him someday, to watching the culture fair the students put together to celebrate Cambodian food, fashion, and sports, and finding so much joy in their history, I loved hearing all of their stories.

full http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/articl ... th-telling
The idea that seeing the world is going from place to place to look at obvious things is an illusion natural to dull minds.