The golden age of the 'Hippie Trail'

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Roger Crutchley
published : 8 Sep 2019 at 04:00

Travelling long distances overland has always captured the imagination and it seems the passion still remains. Three Land Rovers stopped over in Bangkok earlier this week in what is being called "The Last Expedition" which is taking on the more than 14,000km journey overland from Singapore to London.

This mission is essentially a tribute to the 1955 Oxford and Cambridge expedition, which was the first to travel this route, but in the opposite direction, starting in London. One of the Land Rovers, the "Oxford" from the original expedition 64 years ago, is also being used in this current venture. They should be in Myanmar now, having travelled via Nakhon Sawan and Mae Sot. May they have a safe journey.

The late 1960s and 70s was the "golden age of overland travel" with backpackers taking what became known as the "Hippie Trail" from London through to Asia.

A surprising number of expats still living in Thailand came out here at that time via the overland trail. In the early 1970s I shared a house in Sukhumvit with Julian Spindler and Mike Berry, shortly after they had driven their Land Rover, registration SMO 147, from England. According to Julian, "Smo", as the vehicle became affectionately known at our Soi 8 abode, was "a 1957 long wheel base Land Rover" with a deep orange colour.

I enjoyed quite a few rides aboard Smo in Bangkok during those early days and must admit I wouldn't have had the stamina to travel thousands of miles aboard it across Europe and Asia.

The Asian overland adventures ground to a halt in the late 1970s as a result of the Iranian revolution and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Travelling overland in those days was quite different to current times. There was no Lonely Planet book to consult, no internet and no Trip Advisor. So you learnt things by word of mouth and from messages left on notice boards in budget hotels encountered on route...
https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... ppie-trail
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: The golden age of the 'Hippie Trail'

Post by phuketrichard »

My first overland trip London- Kathmandu
was 1974

Harold Stevens did this trip in 1965

The authors covered 42,252 tortuous miles from New York City to France, south to Spain, across North Africa, the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, Australia, Panama, and finally back to New York to break all previous records for driving non-repetitive mileage
....There was no Lonely Planet book to consult, no internet and no Trip Advisor. So you learnt things by word of mouth and from messages left on notice boards in budget hotels encountered on route..
what made it an adventure.. :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by k*rm*geddon »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 am ... what made it an adventure..
Exactly, PR ... no guide books to hold our hands.
Our meandering was spontaneous and chaotic.
Impulsive plunges.

When asked later how I ended up where I did, my flippant response was 'After getting up to Bangkok, everyone turned left so I went right.'
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I met an Australian in 1972 who went from Darwin to London for $50. We spent 5 months in a camper van from London to the bottom of Morocco and all around Europe for 50 quid each. That was about 2-3 weeks wages in London then. When I got back I made big money doing demolition, about 80 quid a week.
A 1967 E type Jaguar convertible cost about 800 quid.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^It would have been about that time when my friend bought his first house for £1200 later the early 90s1967 E types he was now restoring, making monies from whom had money. I was poor in them earlier 90s and bumming around India but living it up for £70 a month.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Just started a conversation with a deadlock hippie form Germany , what a piece of shit sorry I wasted my time
Yep they are what we oldies think they are.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

pick up the book that started it all, a great read and dam it was cheap to travel back than.. :beer3:
amazon has it as an ebook, or send me a pm and i'll send it to ya

Across Asia on the Cheap was written after a trip across Asia that Lonely Planet founders (Terry and Maureen) made in 1972. The trip was the classic overland hippie trail that went from London to Sydney. The guide covers the the bulk of the trail from Istanbul to Indonesia and Portuguese Timor (now East Timor), the jumping off point to Australia.

It’s a fascinating read to see how travel in Asia has changed over the last 40 years. The prices have of course changed (though some items are still almost the same), and where you could go has changed as well. When this was written you could travel freely in Afghanistan while North Vietnam was strictly off limits.

The Wheelers said they travelled for about 5 and a half months with $1200USD between them. That works out to about $109 each per month.
On of the High lights of my trip in '74 was Afghanistan, where we stayed at the intercontinental Hotel ( the Best hotel at the time in Kabul) for free as I had been in school with the owners daughter,who then took us by 4wd up to Bamyan
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Never understood the backpacking living in dormitories , don't you hippies ever have sex or just smoke dope and think about it
For me I traveled in a tent with girl just as cheap but never shared a room with strangers
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

atst wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:09 pm Never understood the backpacking living in dormitories , don't you hippies ever have sex or just smoke dope and think about it
For me I traveled in a tent with girl just as cheap but never shared a room with strangers
Haa! ha ha ha ha
Never was a true hippee myself, but probably fitted the "type" .
I can assure you brother we never gave it a thought - we just had sex with strangers every day
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

sorry, double
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic