Difficulty of importing valuable personal effects to Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
des Esseintes
Tourist
Niger

Difficulty of importing valuable personal effects to Cambodia?

Post by des Esseintes »

Hello all,

This is my first post, so I hope that I'm doing this correctly. Let me preface this by stating that I lived in Phnom Penh before, so this is not my first rodeo. I will soon be moving to Phnom Penh for a job that I have accepted, and I am considering moving most of my household there. In the good old days, I remember that Cambodian customs / douane could be a little "fast and loose" with valuable items. As I recall, back in the early aughts one of my foreign friends in Cambodia had his entire inheritance seized by customs in Sihanoukville, and essentially had to surrender everything to greedy officers. It appears at first blush that customs / douane have become more professional, but I wanted to get your collective personal wisdom on this matter.

I have a somewhat decent collection of art, antiques, books and media from various places around the world, and I am wondering whether there might be problems with importing them into the country? These are my own items, would not be for sale, and would be taken with me when my contract is finished (a number of years hence).

So, my questions are:
1) What are taxes / import costs like on original items like these?
2) Could there be problems in repatriating my personal effects when my contract is over?
3) Is there any chance of them being, *ahem*, appropriated by the authorities for their own pleasure / use?

Also, on a separate topic: Why aren't the Serbian and Montenegrin flags available as flag avatars on this forum? I had to go with one I didn't want.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Difficulty of importing valuable personal effects to Cambodia?

Post by General Mackevili »

des Esseintes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:29 am Also, on a separate topic: Why aren't the Serbian and Montenegrin flags available as flag avatars on this forum? I had to go with one I didn't want.
Sorry about that! My only advice for that is try and search for other possible names for the flag you wanted. For example, I believe Brits have to find a flag called 'Great Britain' to get the Union Jack, etc.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

My own experience is that there is NOT a "set of rules". Yes, there are rules but how they are applied (or even known) is random.

If shipping from overseas I'd personally recommend using DHL and sending a container. Make sure the manifest includes everything and the relevant codes. That way things that should be allowed for personal use are much more likely to sail through customs. Since DHL delivers in Cambodia they will handle custom clearance. Now I'd also add that they charge a small fortune - I got a quote for a small shipment from Bangkok to Cambodia and it was so outrageous I could only laugh.

If attempting to send by land you can expect great challenges as a foreigner. I've brought through some items, had printed copies of relevant duty codes/rules/etc in both Khmer and English and it didn't matter. No money paid, no goods entering the country. There is a reason that many Thai based businesses will not deliver to Cambodia.

There was a gentleman that lived close to us that sent a container of his furniture for a home they were building. I know he paid a duty fee but not how much. His stuff sat at customs for a few weeks so I assume he had some difficulty but eventually it was resolved.

Good Luck
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

If you are importing personal effects, it's possible to declare them in advance at some office in the Vattanac Capital building and gain a total tax exemption.

Or so customs officer at PP Airport cargo terminal told me last week while I was cooling my heels there.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Don't do it. I've gone through nightmares before for small personal items. Unless you work for an embassy and get a container of your stuff shipped over (or your company does it for you), I wouldn't bother doing it. Just store the stuff.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
des Esseintes
Tourist
Niger

Post by des Esseintes »

Thanks to all of you; I am investigating whether or not my office is able to assist me with this further, but your points stand that it may be more trouble than its worth. I will especially look into @Jerry Atrick 's advice that I declare the items in advance. I look forward to meeting some of you in person.

As to the Serbian / Montenegrin flags issue: @General Mackevili I did scroll through looking for the countries under various names (e.g. Republic of Serbia, etc.), but they were just not to be found. Which is weird, considering that other former Yugoslav countries (e.g. Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia) were all there. Perhaps this is a a function of the age of this forum program - are Serbia and Montenegro as separate countries younger than the age of this programme? I note that South Sudan is also not on the list, and that's a fairly new country as well.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

It's super easy for me.
I go the customs office every couple of days.
If you drop me a list of your items next time I go to the customs office I will negotiate with them a nominal cost plus a small pocket fee for the officer.
Will provide a price including delivery to your doorstep.

But only if you really need it.
Nobody likes to waste time.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

des Esseintes wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:06 pm Thanks to all of you; I am investigating whether or not my office is able to assist me with this further, but your points stand that it may be more trouble than its worth. I will especially look into @Jerry Atrick 's advice that I declare the items in advance. I look forward to meeting some of you in person.

As to the Serbian / Montenegrin flags issue: @General Mackevili I did scroll through looking for the countries under various names (e.g. Republic of Serbia, etc.), but they were just not to be found. Which is weird, considering that other former Yugoslav countries (e.g. Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia) were all there. Perhaps this is a a function of the age of this forum program - are Serbia and Montenegro as separate countries younger than the age of this programme? I note that South Sudan is also not on the list, and that's a fairly new country as well.
I think you will find Cmabodia stopped allowing people tobring their stuff in free a long time ago, at least officially. The limit used to be $300 but I beleive that has now been scrapped.
You migth get away with bringing them in but you are going tobe ina world of pain getting them out, especially if any are buddhist or asian
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

The last place in the world I want valuable stuff is here. My Rolex(es) stay in the safe at home.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

WildA wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:40 am The last place in the world I want valuable stuff is here. My Rolex(es) stay in the safe at home.
A millwall fan with rolexes and a safe? interesting
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic