Difficulty of importing valuable personal effects to Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Difficulty of importing valuable personal effects to Cambodia?

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase: To the name dropper who apparently keeps his Rolex watch ( s ) locked away in a ' safe ',what ,if any other functions can they perform ( apart from telling the time)) ??After reading out your previous post ,there were 5 men & 3 Women laughing their guts out..Their following comments were too abusive /colourful to retell here .
Stooge ,you can shove these material possessions where the sun don't shine..
Your legacy will not care 2 shits about these trinkets.
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Difficulty of importing valuable personal effects to Cambodia?

Post by Marty »

des Esseintes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:29 am Hello all,

This is my first post, so I hope that I'm doing this correctly. Let me preface this by stating that I lived in Phnom Penh before, so this is not my first rodeo. I will soon be moving to Phnom Penh for a job that I have accepted, and I am considering moving most of my household there. In the good old days, I remember that Cambodian customs / douane could be a little "fast and loose" with valuable items. As I recall, back in the early aughts one of my foreign friends in Cambodia had his entire inheritance seized by customs in Sihanoukville, and essentially had to surrender everything to greedy officers. It appears at first blush that customs / douane have become more professional, but I wanted to get your collective personal wisdom on this matter.

I have a somewhat decent collection of art, antiques, books and media from various places around the world, and I am wondering whether there might be problems with importing them into the country? These are my own items, would not be for sale, and would be taken with me when my contract is finished (a number of years hence).

So, my questions are:
1) What are taxes / import costs like on original items like these?
2) Could there be problems in repatriating my personal effects when my contract is over?
3) Is there any chance of them being, *ahem*, appropriated by the authorities for their own pleasure / use?

Also, on a separate topic: Why aren't the Serbian and Montenegrin flags available as flag avatars on this forum? I had to go with one I didn't want.
Who determins what is valuable and what isnt? Bring instead something that doesnt look valuable at all, then later convert it into something that really is valuable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic