Trolls! :-)

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Trolls! :-)

Post by frank lee bent »

http://www.theage.com.au/national/every ... 1xo7u.html

Relatively little is known about the type of people who troll. A study published in September, by the University of Manitoba, in Canada, found trolls exhibit the personality traits of narcissists, psychopaths and sadists – taking pleasure in the suffering of others and lacking remorse or empathy for their victims.

Trolls are like the Joker villain, operating as "agents of chaos on the internet", the study said. One of the authors described trolls as "everyday sadists" in an interview: "They are insatiably nasty. There is no reasoning with them. The more havoc they sow, getting more people to argue with them, the happier they are."
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Trolls! :-)

Post by General Mackevili »

Someone needs to find a "Are you a troll?" test we can take.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Bans and censorship on CEO, no thanks, no need but recent days have highlighted the need to have an option. Not sure what that would look like but I am sure Dragon and Gen could work something out :thumb:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Trolls are obvious. You just have to be smart enough not to respond to their baiting tactics/desperate cries for attention. Simply don't respond to anything they post or any thread they create, especially when it is directed at you.

I failed to follow my own advice twice today already, but I won't make that mistake again.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

"The traditional definition of trolling includes intent. That is, trolls purposely disrupt forums. This definition is too narrow. Whether someone intends to disrupt a thread or not, the results are the same if they do."

"Trolls aspire to violence, to the level of trouble they can cause in an environment. They want it to kick off. They want to promote antipathetic emotions of disgust and outrage, which morbidly gives them a sense of pleasure."

Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling – where the rate of deception is high – many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation

Two studies published in 2013 and 2014 have found that people who are identified as trolls tend to have dark personality traits and show signs of sadism, antisocial behavior, psychopathy, and machiavellianism.[37][38] The 2013 study suggested that there are a number of similarities between anti-social and flame trolling activities[37] and the 2014 study suggested that the noxious personality characteristics known as the "dark triad of personality" should be investigated in the analysis of trolling, and concluded that trolling appears "to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism."[38] Their relevance is suggested by research linking these traits to bullying in both adolescents and adults. The 2014 study found that trolls operate as agents of chaos on the Internet, exploiting hot-button issues to make users appear overly emotional or foolish in some manner. If an unfortunate person falls into their trap, trolling intensifies for further, merciless amusement. This is why novice Internet users are routinely admonished, "Do not feed the trolls!" The 2013 study found that trolls often have a high expectation of what it means to be successful, which is higher than they are able to attain, and this results in them resenting others who think they are successful but who fall below their standards.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

Soi Dog wrote:Trolls are obvious. You just have to be smart enough not to respond to their baiting tactics/desperate cries for attention. Simply don't respond to anything they post or any thread they create, especially when it is directed at you.

I failed to follow my own advice twice today already, but I won't make that mistake again.
Soidog if the above comment refers to me, then you're misguided. The thread i started may undoubtedly seem strange to some, but it's hardly trollish. I have consistently said it's for peoples opinions to express, not mine. Geez, i'm asking you for opinions, not personal attacks.

peace.
Rider of the storm.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

not sure why you would say that.
just speculating on the subject.
Last edited by frank lee bent on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

Hi Frank.

Have you heard of the phrase 'be nice'? :)
Rider of the storm.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

no one has named a specific individual here.
don't be sensitive.
no one is trying to hurt your feelings,
Last edited by frank lee bent on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

;)
Last edited by snookie BRO on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rider of the storm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic