Aviation News

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Aviation News

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Vietravel Airlines, Vietnam's 6th Carrier, Officially Starts Flying This Month
Wednesday, 20 January 2021.
Written by Saigoneer.

The nation's sixth air carrier, Vietravel Airlines, is officially taking off.

Based at Phu Bai International Airport near Hue, Vietravel Airlines will operate one to two flights a day between Saigon, Hue and Hanoi followed by flights to tourist destinations including Nha Trang, Quy Nhon and Phu Quoc. It has received two of the three Airbus A321CEO it plans to have in use prior to the Tet holiday.

So far, the carrier has hired 200 pilots and flight attendants with aims to expand its fleet to 30 to prepare for international operations once possible. It hopes to service one million passengers in its first year and targets to break even in its second.

Tickets priced at 0VND (excluding taxes and other fees) went on sale Tuesday at 1am and will be available until January 25 for the first 50,000 passengers. The offer is applicable to commercial flights taking off between January 25 when routes begin until February 5.

Vietravel Airlines General Director Vũ Đức Biên explained that beginning operations during the pandemic has been fortuitous because it allowed the fledgling airline to acquire aircraft and recruit employees at competitive rates. Low fuel costs and a government stimulus program have also been helpful.
https://saigoneer.com/vietnam-news/1987 ... this-month
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Feb 11th 2021

Singapore Airlines begins flights with fully vaccinated crew including to Phnom Penh

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore Airlines (SIA) began operating flights on Thursday with full sets of crew members vaccinated against COVID-19 as the city-state seeks to rejuvenate its status as an international travel hub.

The airline said pilots and cabin crew on three international flights from Singapore had received both of the required doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Singapore Airlines said Thursday's three flights with a fully vaccinated crew - to Jakarta, Bangkok and Phnom Penh - were among the first in the world.

The carrier said more than 90% of its cabin crew and pilots have signed up for the vaccine. Around 85% of those have received at least the first dose, and many have begun getting the second dose, it added. SIA expects all those who have signed up to receive the second dose by the end of Marc

Singapore, a major international trade and travel hub, lacks a domestic travel market and international travel is expected to take until 2024 to rebound to 2019 levels, according to industry estimates.

https://sports.yahoo.com/singapore-airl ... 16486.html
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

A Boeing jet has scattered debris over a residential area near Denver after one of its engines failed on take-off.

The Boeing 777, with 231 passengers and 10 crew on board, was able to return safely and land at Denver airport. No injuries were reported.

BBC News - US plane scatters engine debris over Denver homes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56141673
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

That’s a bit more than a simple engine failure. It will be quite an interesting read, when it comes out. Triples rarely make the news at all, over the years, let alone like that.

Here’s a Yoot ube wideo.

Turn away if you’re a nervous flyer, or NewKid...
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Freightdog wrote:Here’s a Yoot ube wideo.

Turn away if you’re a nervous flyer, or NewKid...
Just saw it on the news this morning.
Plane landed safely. No injuries, no fatalities.
Obviously the pilots were trained by Freightdog.

Strengthens my belief that flying is safe in the hands of good pilots.

Glass is half-full.
Can’t wait until the virus is over.
List of places to fly to. Cambodia, Korea, Japan, etc.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Interestingly United had issue with similar P&W engine already in 2018. If I remember right there was a crack that was missed during inspection and the blade eventually failed in flight.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:39 pm Interestingly United had issue with similar P&W engine already in 2018. If I remember right there was a crack that was missed during inspection and the blade eventually failed in flight.

Now there's a man with a sense of humour in a crisis.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Snake seen on AirAsia plane
published : 14 Feb 2022 at 17:57
writer: Gary Boyle

An AirAsia passenger plane was forced to land after a snake was spotted in the overhead lights.

In a viral video social media users were quick to link with Samuel L. Jackson movie "Snakes on a Plane", the creature's silhouette could be seen wriggling in the cabin's light fittings.

The incident, which the airline described as "very rare", took place last week aboard a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Tawau, on the eastern coast of Borneo island.

After the captain found out about the snake, he landed in the city of Kuching -- 900 kilometres (560 miles) west of Tawau -- so the plane could be fumigated, AirAsia said.

The passengers then boarded another flight to continue their journey.
"At no time was the safety of guests or crew at any risk," AirAsia said.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ea ... asia-plane
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The only and only Michael O'Leary. Unfortunately the obscenities have been starred out. Paywalled, so copied here, minus the pointless pictures.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/list ... le-quotes/

The outspoken chief executive of Ryanair has remained largely out of the spotlight since the airline began its new "customer-friendly" overhaul. Here are a few reminders why:

On refunds: "You're not getting a refund so **** off."

On overweight passengers: "Nobody wants to sit beside a really fat ****** on board. We have been frankly astonished at the number of customers who don't only want to tax fat people but torture them."

On turbulence: "If drink sales are falling off we get the pilots to engineer a bit of turbulence. That usually spikes up the drink sales."

On travel agents: "Screw the travel agents. Take the ******* out and shoot them. They are a waste of bloody time. What have they done for passengers over the years?"

On transatlantic flights: "Ryanair will never fly the Atlantic route because one cannot get there in a Boeing 737, unless one has a very strong tail wind or passengers who can swim the last hour of the flight."

On the airline industry: "There's a lot of big egos in this industry. Most chief executives got into this business because they want to travel for a living. Not me, I want to work."

On European expansion: "Germans will crawl *******-naked over broken glass to get low fares."

On charging passengers to use the loo: "One thing we have looked at is maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in the future. If someone wanted to pay £5 to go to the toilet I would carry them myself. I would wipe their bums for a fiver."

On upright seating: "I'd love to operate aircraft where we take out the back ten rows and put in hand rails. We'd say if you want to stand, it's five euros. People say 'Oh but the people standing may get killed if there's a crash'. Well, with respect, the people sitting down might get killed as well"

On the in-flight experience: "Anyone who thinks Ryanair flights are some sort of bastion of sanctity where you can contemplate your navel is wrong. We already bombard you with as many in-flight announcements and trolleys as we can. Anyone who looks like sleeping, we wake them up to sell them things."

On low fares: "I don't see why in 10 years' time you wouldn't fly people for free. Why don't airports pay us for delivering the passengers to their shops?"

If you can't find a low fare on Ryanair: "You're a moron."

On customer service: "People say the customer is always right, but you know what - they're not. Sometimes they are wrong and they need to be told so."

On closing Ryanair's check-in desks: "This isn't the end of civilization as we know it."

On apologies: "Are we going to say sorry for our lack of customer service? Absolutely not."

On refunds: "We don't want to hear your sob stories. What part of 'no refund' don't you understand?"

On Ryanair's image: "One of the weaknesses of the company now is it is a bit cheap and cheerful and overly nasty, and that reflects my personality."

On pilot's wages: "People ask how we can have such low fares. I tell them our pilots work for nothing."

On his popularity: "I don't give a ***** if no-one likes me. I am not a cloud bunny, I am not an aerosexual. I don't like aeroplanes. I never wanted to be a pilot like those other platoons of goons who populate the airline industry."

On Ryanair's pilots: "If this is such a Siberian salt mine and I am such an ogre, then why are they still working for the airline? If any of our fellas aren't happy with the current arrangement then they're free to go elsewhere. Godspeed to them."

On Aer Lingus's pilots: "Overpaid, underworked peacocks"

On cost-cutting: "We use our own biros and I tell the staff not to buy them, just pick them up from hotels, legal offices, wherever. That's what I do. Recently I did an interview and I was sitting there with a hotel pen I'd nicked from somewhere. I was asked why and I said: 'We at Ryanair have a policy of stealing hotel pens. We won't pay for Bic biros as part of our obsession with low costs."

On employees: "MBA students come out with: "My staff is my most important asset." Bull****. Staff is usually your biggest cost. We all employ some lazy ******* who needs a kick up the backside, but no one can bring themselves to admit it."

On how to keep employees motivated and happy: "Fear."

On beginning a press conference to announce the annual results: “I’m here with Howard Miller and Michael Cawley, our two deputy chief executives. But they’re presently making love in the gentleman’s toilets, such is their excitement at today’s results.”

On ordering aircraft from Boeing: “The message to Boeing today is: ‘You keep building them, we’ll keep buying them’, and together both of us will kick the crap out of Airbus in Europe. We love Boeing. **** the French.”

On not ordering more aircraft from Boeing: “Boeing had their chance. Eventually you lose interest, dealing with a bunch of idiots who can’t make a decision. They are a bunch of numpties out in Seattle.”

On Ryanair in the 1990s: “Ryanair will never make money. It will always lose money. It’s an airline. Forget it.”

On Ryanair in the 2000s: “We expect our profits to grow by 20 to 25 per cent. That’s not just good, that’s practically obscene in an industry in which few people make money. This isn’t an airline, it’s a drug baron’s business.”

On corporate life: “The meek may inherit the earth, but they will not have it for long.”

On consultants: “I believe hiring consultants is an abdication by management of their responsibilities. If the consultant is so good at managing change, then why not hire him to run the company and do it himself? Every idiot who gets fired in the industry shows up as a consultant somewhere. I would shoot any consultant who came through my door.”

On environmentalists: “We want to annoy the ******* whenever we can. The best thing you can do with environmentalists is shoot them. These headbangers want to make air travel the preserve of the rich. They are luddites marching us back to the 18th century. If preserving the environment means stopping poor people flying so the rich can fly, then screw it.”

On Guardian readers: “The chattering bloody classes, or what I call the liberal Guardian readers, they’re all buying SUVs to drive around London. I smile at these loons who drive their SUVs down to Sainsbury’s and buy kiwi fruit from New Zealand. They’re flown in from New Zealand for Christ sakes. They’re the equivalent of environmental nuclear bombs!”

On protesters: “The Swampies of this world are climbing up trees to protest about airlines and airports. They should all get a job and get a ******* life.”

On air marshals: “Air marshals are a complete waste of time. I can’t think of anything that would reduce security more than having a guy on board with a gun.”

On a bomb scare in Scotland: “The police force were outstanding in their field. But all they did was stand in their field. They kept passengers on board while they played with a suspect package for two and three quarter hours. Extraordinary.”

On free speech: "I upset a lot of people because I tell them what I think. I'm disrespectful towards what is perceived to be authority. Like, I think the Prime Minister of Ireland is a gob*****."

On politics: "I think the most influential person in Europe in the last 20 to 30 years has been Margaret Thatcher, who has left a lasting legacy that has driven us towards lower taxes and greater efficiency. Without her we'd all be living in some French bloody unemployed republic."

On the European Commission: "They are ******* Kim Il-Jungs (sic) in the Commission. You cannot have civil servants trying to design rules that make everything a level playing field. That's called North ******* Korea, and everybody is starving there. The EU are pursuing some form of communist ******* Valhalla."

On EU Commissioner Neelie Kroes's approval of an Alitalia/Air One merger: "She''ll be rolling over like a poodle having her tummy tickled and rubber-stamping the thing."

On British Airways: "BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The first thing I'd do if I were in charge of BA is turn off the waterfalls. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

On the British Airways/Iberia merger: "It reminds me of two drunks leaning on each other."

On Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, founder of easyJet: "Those of us who sell the lowest fares just get on with it, and those who do not, write whingeing letters to newspapers."

On intelligence: "easyJet are not the brightest sandwiches in the picnic basket."

On Southwest Airlines: "We went to look at Southwest Airlines in the US. It was like the road to Damascus. This was the way to make Ryanair work. I met with Herb Kelleher. I passed out about midnight, and when I woke up again at about 3am Kelleher was still there, the *******, pouring himself another bourbon. I thought I'd pick his brains and come away with the Holy Grail. The next day I couldn't remember a thing."

On Alitalia: "I would not want it if it were given to me as a present."

To the boss of regional airline Aer Arann: "**** off back to Connemara where you come from!"

On offering advice to other airlines' bosses: "They can **** off and do their own work"
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

He’s something of a breath of foul air near a cesspit, but there’s a few useful gems among his Tourette’s outbursts. I wonder if his memoirs are being used as inspiration by a certain feral Russian?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic