Aviation News

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Aviation News

Post by hunter8 »

If they actually go and implement that, expect airfares at least double with only a quarter of flights for the next couple of years. Oh well, still better than sailing oceans.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Every few days I check skyscanner for flights to PP in June to see what airlines are coming back online. Philippines airlines have been showing from 6th June onwards. However, I checked with their own website.

Skyscanner is showing the flight at £384, via an agent called budget air. I clicked onto them and went all the way through to payment time. They were willing to take my money.

However, Pilippines own site is only offering the flight as a fully flexible ticket for £1332. This is true for all tickets right into May. If you search just a London to Manila the price is actually more expensive at over £2000. This is for ONE WAY. Return is £3142.

It seems to me that either there has been massive bookings of these seats the moment they were opened up, hence all the deals being snapped up. But that would leave all the budget air ones being snapped up too? Alternatively, budget air has got no such access to tickets at £384 and they are just taking your money and worrying about it later.

I think the moral of the story is, check direct with the airline once they start flying and make sure these agents aren't just collecting cash to meet this months outgoings.

Budget air at the pay-up page

Philippines site
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:18 pm Every few days I check skyscanner for flights to PP in June to see what airlines are coming back online. Philippines airlines have been showing from 6th June onwards. However, I checked with their own website.

Skyscanner is showing the flight at £384, via an agent called budget air. I clicked onto them and went all the way through to payment time. They were willing to take my money.

However, Pilippines own site is only offering the flight as a fully flexible ticket for £1332. This is true for all tickets right into May. If you search just a London to Manila the price is actually more expensive at over £2000. This is for ONE WAY. Return is £3142.

It seems to me that either there has been massive bookings of these seats the moment they were opened up, hence all the deals being snapped up. But that would leave all the budget air ones being snapped up too? Alternatively, budget air has got no such access to tickets at £384 and they are just taking your money and worrying about it later.

I think the moral of the story is, check direct with the airline once they start flying and make sure these agents aren't just collecting cash to meet this months outgoings.

Philippines site
You will find if you pay with these sites that a message will come up saying,sorry sold out at this price but you can have a special offer at 3 times the price
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

andy1 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:40 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:18 pm Every few days I check skyscanner for flights to PP in June to see what airlines are coming back online. Philippines airlines have been showing from 6th June onwards. However, I checked with their own website.

Philippines site
You will find if you pay with these sites that a message will come up saying,sorry sold out at this price but you can have a special offer at 3 times the price
When the time comes I'm going to book direct.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Pakistan International Airlines passenger plane crashes in Karachi

BBC
22/05/2020

A Pakistan International Airlines Airbus A320 passenger jet flying from Lahore has crashed in a densely populated residential area of Karachi.

Flight PK8303, carrying 91 passengers and eight crew, crashed on approach to the busy Jinnah International Airport.

Almost four houses were completely collapsed, there was so much fire and smoke," he said. "They are almost my neighbours, I can't tell you what a horrible thing it was."

n it the pilot says they have "lost two engines". Several seconds later he calls "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" and there is no further communication.

full
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:28 pm Pakistan International Airlines passenger plane crashes in Karachi

BBC
22/05/2020

A Pakistan International Airlines Airbus A320 passenger jet flying from Lahore has crashed in a densely populated residential area of Karachi.

Flight PK8303, carrying 91 passengers and eight crew, crashed on approach to the busy Jinnah International Airport.

Almost four houses were completely collapsed, there was so much fire and smoke," he said. "They are almost my neighbours, I can't tell you what a horrible thing it was."

n it the pilot says they have "lost two engines". Several seconds later he calls "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" and there is no further communication.

full
Reasons for the crash:
Pakistan’s aviation minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan told parliament the pilots had been discussing the coronavirus as they attempted to land and had disengaged the craft’s autopilot.

“The pilot and co-pilot were not focused and throughout they were having a conversation about corona. The [virus] was on their minds. Their families were affected and they were having a discussion about it,” Khan said.

“Unfortunately the pilot was overconfident,” the minister added.

Khan also pointed to a troubling review of pilot credentials that is bound to reverberate through the country’s airline industry. He said a probe last year found that 262 of Pakistan’s 860 active pilots had fake licenses or had cheated on exams – including an unspecified number of PIA pilots.

The crash investigation team, which included officials from the French government and the aviation industry, analysed cockpit data and voice recorders.
Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... irus-fears
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:42 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:28 pm Pakistan International Airlines passenger plane crashes in Karachi

BBC
22/05/2020

full
Reasons for the crash:
Pakistan’s aviation minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan told parliament the pilots had been discussing the coronavirus as they attempted to land and had disengaged the craft’s autopilot.

“The pilot and co-pilot were not focused and throughout they were having a conversation about corona. The [virus] was on their minds. Their families were affected and they were having a discussion about it,” Khan said.

“Unfortunately the pilot was overconfident,” the minister added.

Khan also pointed to a troubling review of pilot credentials that is bound to reverberate through the country’s airline industry. He said a probe last year found that 262 of Pakistan’s 860 active pilots had fake licenses or had cheated on exams – including an unspecified number of PIA pilots.

The crash investigation team, which included officials from the French government and the aviation industry, analysed cockpit data and voice recorders.
Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... irus-fears
fake licenses or had cheated on exams –
Of all the jobs/careers that you might be tempted to 'bluff' your way into, being a commercial pilot is not one of them. If for no other reason, your own personal self preservation instincts ought to make you want to be the real thing.

PIA better watch out; they might find themselves barred for large chunks of airspace like the north America and the EU. We are a bit touchy when it comes to fake pilot licences.

Can't wait for the Air Crash Investigation to lay it all bare.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Airbus boss warns production set to fall 40 per cent over next two years

These a grown up numbers. Only a 40% decline seems a bit amitious.

Airbus boss Guillaume Faury said today that production would drop 40 per cent over the next two years due to the coronavirus crisis, worse than the company had originally suggested.

Speaking to German media, Faury said: “For the next two years – 2020/21 – we assume that production and deliveries will be 40 per cent lower than originally planned”.

The survival of the manufacturing giant is at stake, he warned back in April, as it is hemorrhaging cash at “unprecedented speed”.

Last month there were reports that Airbus would be forced to cut 10,000 jobs due to the crisis, in line with similar redundancies at aerospace rival Boeing.

Having lost €8bn in the first quarter alone, Airbus is taking every step to reduce cash flow out of the company, he said.

Around 3,200 UK staff have been placed on the furlough scheme, with the firm having already done the same to 3,000 French employees.

https://www.cityam.com/airbus-boss-warn ... two-years/
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Vietnam suspends Pakistani pilots over suspect licenses

Vietnam's domestic airlines asked to ground Pakistani pilots after report says 262 of them hold fraudulent licenses.

Islamabad, Pakistan - Vietnam's civil aviation authority has grounded all Pakistani pilots flying for Vietnamese airlines, as global aviation regulators respond to revelations by Pakistani authorities last week that more than 250 pilots had been granted licenses fraudulently.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/ ... 37493.html
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:27 pm Vietnam suspends Pakistani pilots over suspect licenses

Vietnam's domestic airlines asked to ground Pakistani pilots after report says 262 of them hold fraudulent licenses.

Islamabad, Pakistan - Vietnam's civil aviation authority has grounded all Pakistani pilots flying for Vietnamese airlines, as global aviation regulators respond to revelations by Pakistani authorities last week that more than 250 pilots had been granted licenses fraudulently.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/ ... 37493.html
The initial inquiry was spurred by an investigation into an airliner incident in November 2018, when a PIA-operated Embraer ATR-72 aircraft skidded off the runway in the southwestern town of Panjgur. No one was hurt in the incident, but a subsequent inquiry found the pilot's licence had been issued on a public holiday.
Schoolboy error...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic