Aviation News

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Aviation News

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:31 pm @Freightdog is this some of your handywork??

Cargo plane goes off the runway at San Jose in Costa Rica and splits in two. Nobody hurt. There is a great video on the link below showing the whole thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/dh ... li=BBoPWjQ
If only my landings were so smooth! The benefits of cargo is the passengers rarely complain. But I’m not flying cargo, now, anayway.

Interesting accident- but the report may take a while. We’re still awaiting the final report of the landing accident that my last company had, just over a year ago.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

My sister and her husband both work as lawyers for aviation insurers. If you think the reports are long, the claims/cases they do seem to take forever!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:55 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:31 pm @Freightdog is this some of your handywork??

Cargo plane goes off the runway at San Jose in Costa Rica and splits in two. Nobody hurt. There is a great video on the link below showing the whole thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/dh ... li=BBoPWjQ
If only my landings were so smooth! The benefits of cargo is the passengers rarely complain. But I’m not flying cargo, now, anayway.

Interesting accident- but the report may take a while. We’re still awaiting the final report of the landing accident that my last company had, just over a year ago.
No reverse thrust deployed?

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

According to snippets of news and information, they had some hydraulics issues. Left system, which would appear to be backed up by the video, left reverser not deployed.

What’s important, though, is that the reverser itself Is not a limitation- they are supplementary to landing performance in normal calculations, and can be disabled for dispatch. It’s quite common, in fact. Spoilers and Brakes are the key items.

More importantly, might be the speed that they are landing at, the tyre smoke, flap configuration, and the loss of control during the latter part of the landing roll, as the landing itself, from the very restricted view of the video clip, appeared fine.

B757 has great capabilities- it’s much slower on landing than for a similar landing mass in a B737, and has double the main gear. It stops very well. Right now, a lot of questions about the situation, given what appears to be a clear day, and a long runway, even with degraded hydraulics.

A quick look at the manuals (I used to fly B757, too) for the performance suggests plenty of runway.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

At least every crew member could walk away from this one.

One needed a check out in the hospital, but apart from that they did ok.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Tommie wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:22 pm At least every crew member could walk away from this one.

I think DHL's HR department may beg to differ.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:12 pm According to snippets of news and information, they had some hydraulics issues. Left system, which would appear to be backed up by the video, left reverser not deployed.

What’s important, though, is that the reverser itself Is not a limitation- they are supplementary to landing performance in normal calculations, and can be disabled for dispatch. It’s quite common, in fact. Spoilers and Brakes are the key items.

More importantly, might be the speed that they are landing at, the tyre smoke, flap configuration, and the loss of control during the latter part of the landing roll, as the landing itself, from the very restricted view of the video clip, appeared fine.

B757 has great capabilities- it’s much slower on landing than for a similar landing mass in a B737, and has double the main gear. It stops very well. Right now, a lot of questions about the situation, given what appears to be a clear day, and a long runway, even with degraded hydraulics.

A quick look at the manuals (I used to fly B757, too) for the performance suggests plenty of runway.
It couldn't of gone any worse for the crew. Once they slid to the right they found the only piece of uneven land at that end of the runway. Had they kept it straight they would of stayed on flat land.

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:26 pm
Tommie wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:22 pm At least every crew member could walk away from this one.

I think DHL's HR department may beg to differ.
I don’t know which company the aircraft belongs to. It’s most likely not a DHL aircraft, but a subcontractor, in full DHL colours. It may end up with tarpaulins over it very shortly, to hide the advertising.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Air France has an issue a few days ago with a 777.

The pilots claimed the aircraft would not respond to commands and veered left. They had to go around and return to have another go. The BEA, the French air investigation bureau (a very busy and well experienced organisation!) has launched an enquiry.

The video below is a recording of the ATC/AF11 communication and it shows there was a good deal of concern by the pilots. This was not a run of the mill go around.

Pilots of Air France #AF11 reported their Boeing 777 didn’t react to commands on final approach to Paris CDG

The crew of AF11 from New York JFK to Paris CDG had to deal a serious issue at very low altitude this morning Tuesday 5 March 2022.

UPDATE The BEA opens a safety investigation regarding Air France #AF11 Boeing 777-300 incident yesterday, CVR and FDR data are currently analyzed.
The Boeing 777 (reg. F-GSQJ) was on approach to runway 26L when the crew reported an issue.

The plane didn’t respond to the commands and started to deviate to its left. Pilots could not talk to the ATC as they were dealing with the issue. We can hear them fighting with the commands in the following video.

Lots of well informed discussion is available here: https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/646 ... g-cdg.html

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Asia’s air carriers last to revive from Covid-19
Record airline debt, soaring fuel costs, longer Eurasian routes and emission cuts mean higher fares ahead
by Andrew Salmon April 13, 2022
SEOUL – Asia was the first region in the world to enter the Covid-19 era, and could be the last to exit it if airline recovery is any indicator.

Asia-Pacific airlines will not resume their 2019 capacities until 2025, predicted Philip Goh, a regional vice-president of the International Air Transport Association, or IATA, a global airline trade association. That compares poorly with other economically developed areas.

North American airlines will pass that milestone in 2023, while European airlines, and the rest of the global sector, will catch up in 2024, said Goh. By that year air passenger annual numbers will hit 4 billion, he estimated.

IATA anticipates global passenger numbers in 2022 to hit 83% of 2019 figures and 94% in 2023. The sector’s corner will be turned the following year when the numbers will shift to 103% in 2024, and 111% in 2025.
https://asiatimes.com/2022/04/asias-air ... -covid-19/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic