Butane gas cook or electric cook

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Butane gas cook or electric cook

Post by Jcml19 »

Hmmm... So I'm slowly getting settled in and was wondering is it's cheaper to get an electric cooker or stay with my single cannister butane cooker.

I love cooking with gas but it's aaf replacing the cannisters... I should probably check what the btu kw cost on my electric bill but with all this bloody rain I'd thought I ask the masses...

Or maybe I can get a dbl gas cooker and get one of them large az gas containers :? :twisted:
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Butane gas cook or electric cook

Post by andy1 »

Think power cut which happens a lot here.......
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Double (or bigger) gas cooker plus large tank is by far the best solution. I refill the gas about every 3-6 months for around $12. Buying a spare tank is a good idea.
A full sized electric cooker draws too much power for the power supply and electricity is expensive.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Way cheaper and more convenient to use gas.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Get an induction hob. Very controllable, very efficient. You can slow cook on low setting quite safely plus fry in a flash, they are very quick to heat up. A low flame on a gas stove blows out all the time when the fans are on plus the heat is concentrated in a tiny area.

An induction hob gives off virtually no heat from the sides, it is concentrated inside the pan where it is created. Gas pours out wasted heat from all sides.

Plus the gas burners need to be set up properly so they burn properly. Blue flame is complete combustion, yellow or orange is incomplete and dangerous. Good luck finding someone to fix it properly. There are no gas safety standards here. None. You are on your own.

Plus why would you want a huge bomb under your worksurface.

Power cuts do occur here, but usually just for a few minutes so it's no big deal. This year we had long period of power cuts for the first time in years. No AC, No Fans. And nobody hanging around over a hot stove either unless they are mad.

You can get a single induction hob from K-Four for about $60. Doubles are about $100. Clean, efficient and safe.

(You will need steel or iron pans though, no aluminium)
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

C'mon
"Plus why would you want a huge bomb under your worksurface."
That's like saying "why would you want to be in a vehicle with a huge bomb?".
Personally I like the availability of gas( vs electricity) and its adjustability.
I had an induction hob, I liked it, I didn't think it was fantastic. Things it was very god for were extremely low temperatures and fast response for deep frying. This was an expensive model, the cheaper models I've used sacrificed these virtues a bit. Cheaper = smaller coil
up to you...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

These are cheap and work fine. 4kg bottle with burner on top.

Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:00 pm These are cheap and work fine. 4kg bottle with burner on top.

And easy to take outside for stinky or messy cooking
up to you...
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Clemen wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:42 pm
I had an induction hob, I liked it, I didn't think it was fantastic. Things it was very god for were extremely low temperatures and fast response for deep frying. This was an expensive model, the cheaper models I've used sacrificed these virtues a bit. Cheaper = smaller coil
Thanks for the recommendations but I never got into the induction cooking... Reminds me too much of electric cooking which im just not a fan of.. had one in my college years and it never grew on me.

But I do agree with the wing n breezes messing with the cooking
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic