Bicycle Business, Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Kingdom to become a key manufacturing base for US bike firm

Post by phuketrichard »

somehow i dont believe that in these times,people are buying bicycles..
when every other manufactureer is losing out.

But than it did say Jan-May
bet its near zero now,but you wont find those figures spread around
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It's obvious to me that none of those bikes are being exported and finding their way to Australia. I have checked with two bike shops near me that usually have hundreds of bikes for sale but both have just a few kids bikes and very expensive racing bikes on the showroom floor.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Bike sales have spiked in a lot of areas due to the pandemic. People are getting the itch to go outside, and with long distance travel sort of off the agenda, biking has become an alternative.
Breaks in the supply chain might be a bigger issue for the manufacturers though.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2412755/m ... s-pandemic
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:35 am somehow i dont believe that in these times,people are buying bicycles..

Having a bicycle is the new “look at me. I’m doing well” replacing the Dream and Lexus.
Cambodians are buying shit loads of Cannondales and Giants (all made in China) and Lycra.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

whatwat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:35 am somehow i dont believe that in these times,people are buying bicycles..

Having a bicycle is the new “look at me. I’m doing well” replacing the Dream and Lexus.
Cambodians are buying shit loads of Cannondales and Giants (all made in China) and Lycra.

Hey, you're right. Look at me, I bought this bike yesterday for A $ 50, and I'm doing well.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:22 pm

Hey, you're right. Look at me, I bought this bike yesterday for A $ 50, and I'm doing well.

At least you won’t bash your balls on a girls bike.
Last edited by whatwat on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

I thought the US company pulled out and it is moving to Malaysia instead because the factory deals collapsed?
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Felgerkarb wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:22 pm I thought the US company pulled out and it is moving to Malaysia instead because the factory deals collapsed?
Maybe, maybe not, but it doesn't look great for Cambodia for now.

June 24, 2020
‘Silly obstacles’ halt US bike giant’s Cambodian factory plan

Kent International, a large US-based bicycle manufac​turer, yesterday said its bicycle factory in Cambodia is on hold now, after spending roughly $10 million on a land purchase in Phnom Penh.

The company’s factory occupies about 37,000 square metres. It is located about 16 kilometres from downtown Phnom Penh. The plant was previously expected to begin its operations some time this year. However, the practicality of the plant is up in the air now.

The land and improvements cost more than $10 million, the company Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Arnold Kamler wrote in an email to Khmer Times yesterday.

But the main investor from China, he said, who is actually an Australian citizen, needed to obtain residency status in order to move forward and it has taken more than one year for this process even though he wanted to create more than 1,000 jobs for Cambodians.

“Because we could no longer wait, we have shifted the plan to Malaysia for now where they are very business friendly,” he noted.

He added he is still hopeful to move forward with the factory in the future but the “silly obstacles and local politics just need to stop. Without these obstacles, we would have been buying more than 40,000 bicycles per month.

“We are still hopeful to have the factory in Cambodia but the plan is on hold for now. I am thinking we will start construction in about one year from now,” he added.

He adding thhat the company produces approximately 3 million bicycles a year.

The firm previously stated that once its factory in the Kingdom is operational, about 30 percent of Kent International’s annual production will come from Cambodia.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50737460/s ... tory-plan/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Bicycle Manufacturing: A Success Story in Cambodia
Sao Phal Niseiy 05/07/2020 8:30 PM
Unlike most sectors, bicycle manufacturing has continued and sales increased during the COVID-19 pandemic

PHNOM PENH--As exports of bicycles manufactured in Cambodia surged in the first five months of 2020, a bike producer suggests that more needs to be done to ensure the country’s competitiveness.

According to a report from the General Department of Customs and Excises, Cambodia’s bicycle exports increased by 26 percent in the first five months of the year during which 876,612 units worth $197 million were shipped overseas.

These bicycles were exported mainly to the European Union (EU) where 495,341 units were sent to 28 countries, making Cambodia the biggest bicycle supplier in those countries. Moreover, 223,912 bicycles were shipped to the United States (US), 125,602 to the United Kingdom and 338 to Japan.

One of the bicycle manufacturers in the country believes this upsurge in exports may signal a healthy expansion of the bicycle international market for the country.

“While the exports to the EU are healthy and even increased a little, there has been a big growth in exports to the US particularly,” said Jon Edwards, CEO of A&J Worldwide, a major bicycle producer in Cambodia, said in an email interview. Exports have steadily increased, going from $331 million in 2018 to $418 million last year.

Countries Easing Lockdown and the US-China Trade War May Be Driving the Export Upsurge

Looking at what may be driving the surge in Cambodia’s bicycle exports to foreign markets amid the pandemic, Edwards mentioned two possible reasons.

“The ease of ‘lockdown’ worldwide has released a ‘pent-up demand’ for bicycles,” he said. “[This] is driven by desire for exercise and once again enjoying the freedom of being outside. Also, the need for healthy and safe local travel, and avoiding public transport.”

In addition to reopening as the pandemic slowed down in their cities, many countries have been investing in cycling infrastructure, Edwards said. In the United Kingdom for example, the government is, he said “closing roads to motor cars and also installing cycling lanes to encourage cycling.”

The “green movement” aimed at protecting the environment is playing a role in encouraging people to use bicycles, which is one of environmentally friendly ways of traveling, Edwards said.

One other factor contributing to the expansion of Cambodia’s bicycle imports is the trade war between the United States and China, which has had its share in galvanizing the many investors to seek production bases outside China, he said.

“Many manufacturers are encouraged to spread out to other manufacturing bases, and [have] motivated many leading brands to adopt a China+1 sourcing strategy,” Edwards said. “This has been a great opportunity for Cambodia as the government welcomes new investments and makes establishment of new factories relatively simple.”
https://cambodianess.com/article/bicycl ... n-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

True. You can see them showing them off, zigzagging through the pedestrians on the Riverside promenade in the late afternoon.
Yesterday it was a bit wet but great for exercising due to the cool temperatures. They had brought their fashion bikes with the fat wheels as usual but were riding very slowly or pushing them. I wondered why do that when it'a a perfect day for exercise. Then I got it, those bikes don't have mudguards and their arses were getting wet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic