Get ready for Brexit the website

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Get ready for Brexit the website

Post by Clemen »

https://www.gov.uk/brexit
Enjoy!
This was the advice for me
"You and your family

Apply for a permit to join your EU or EEA family member in the UK

You may not be able to travel to the UK if you do not have the right permit."

As an American with no family members in the UK I'm not too worried.

From the Beeb
up to you...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Get ready for Brexit the website

Post by pczz »

Yeah, right. My friend is a uk citizen permanently resident in the EU. His girlfriend is Khmer. She has a5 year old son with an irish passport. HE CANNOT GET HER INTO THE UK EVEN FOR A CHRISTMAS VISIT. The utter shit we have been told by the home office is unbeleivable. they claim her residentce permit is the wrong type and not issued under EU rules, when it clealry states on it that it is. The general idea is bullshit you and hope you cannot afford a lawyer. England looks more like 1938 germany every day and i refuse to go back
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

The nasty party strike again,

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/30/mum-live ... -10658918/

Never going back to that shithole.
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

The UK desperately needs massive deportations, to undo the damage by the real nasty party - Labour - mass immigration has pushed up the cost of living and led to all kinds of unpleasant, oppressive, and invasive new laws, that shouldn't exist. That's why people voted to get the UK out of that shitpile called the EU. It's ruined the UK for everyone. Now we have a parliament that refuses to have a general election and is trying to misuse it's powers and the courts to override the PM and the will of the people.
I'm not like other boys...
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

DaveG wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:24 pm The nasty party strike again,

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/30/mum-live ... -10658918/

Never going back to that shithole.
She had years to apply for dual nationality, why is it anyone else's fault? It's Labour - the real nasty party - who wrecked the previously user-friendly immigration system by overloading it with all kinds of undesirables. People like to moan, but when you start looking beyond the headlines at their situation in more detail, you start to see obvious things they didn't do that they should have done. My Mrs could have got her UK passport for free after 3 years, but no, she put it off, and it cost her £1,000... [slow clap].
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

CaptainNemo wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:48 am The UK desperately needs massive deportations, to undo the damage by the real nasty party - Labour - mass immigration has pushed up the cost of living and led to all kinds of unpleasant, oppressive, and invasive new laws, that shouldn't exist. That's why people voted to get the UK out of that shitpile called the EU. It's ruined the UK for everyone. Now we have a parliament that refuses to have a general election and is trying to misuse it's powers and the courts to override the PM and the will of the people.
Can you please get in the guiness book of records and name 1 european law that has caused you a problem and which was not voted for or suggested by by the British ?
Please not fake news about straight bananas, Boris and his kippers and freezer bags and bullsjit about the european convention of human rights ( created by the brits after WW2 and signed by 49 countries. nothing to do with the EU )
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

Easy... the freedom of movement... pushed house prices up and kept wages down ever since it was instituted. It's the main reason people voted to get free of that shitshow.

ECHR rulings misused by criminals to claim human rights they don't afford their victims, and the appalling precedents they've set, are worth citing.
Yes the UK created it, but not the warped version of it we have now. The UK also helped set up EFTA, which is a better organisation than the EU.

Yes there are silly ones like toasters, bananas, horses, balloons, light bulbs, and teabags, but one of the more visible, irritating and pointless, the imposition of metric, which is utterly banal... insisting that meat is sold in grammes instead of pounds and ounces.
I mean, whole semiconductor factories build PCBs in imperial units not metric FFS. The concept of human scale units and the appropriateness of units seems lost on eurocrat idiots.

One that' I've personally encountered at work in the UK is explained here:
Every time you buy a new computer (or similar device) there’s yet another IEC cable (“kettle flex”) in the box. If you are replacing a PC you plug the old computer’s power cable into the new PC and throw the new cable into a heap of unused ones. It’s an EU law which makes it illegal to ship any such device without a power cable even if the power cable is detachable and could be sold separately or more sensibly, supplied free only if requested. The environmental cost of making and scrapping unused power cables must be enormous.
There's quite a decent list by this guy actually (saves me typing):
They’ve mandated a power reduction in vacuum cleaners. They think this saves electricity. What it does do, is cause one to spend twice as long on the same cleaning. And possibly, use more electricity in the process.

Ditto, proposed only, kettles, which is guaranteed by the simple laws of physics to waste electricity not save it.

Proposed only, a ban on the availability of Glyphosate weedkiller to gardeners. Not a ban on its use in agriculture. There’s no evidence it’s not safe, and it’s remarkably non-toxic to animals. Just a ban on its use by people who have not attended a training course. How on earth is one supposed to deal with Ground Elder or Bindweed if the only remaining permitted weedkiller is banned? They’e also banned Bordeaux mixture. Copper is not seriously poisonous. The fungicides that are now available are quite probably more dangerous in the food chain, but are far more profitable to big agrichemical businesses.

The tampon tax. The UK government wants to reduce VAT on tampons and other female sanitary products to zero. It’s a tax that should never have existed. But the EU won’t let us reduce it below 5%. PS I’m a man!

VAT on Electricity, gas and heating oil. Ditto, although I’m not so sure that the UK government actually wants to remove this tax.
VAT on books. OK, they are still zero-rated in the UK because they were zero-rated when we joined the EU. But how can a supposedly civilized institution support a mandatory tax on books?

VAT on all foodstuffs. Ditto.

[Ok delete this one. Apparently red passports were an absurd solidarity gesture by the pro-EU UK establishment. Some other EU countries are allowed to hang on to traditionally coloured passports. Since I wrote this answer it has become far more apparent just how much our establishment has become part of the EU establishment]
HS2. Yes, it’s a UK government folly that they want to build it, but it’s an EU diktat that says it must be an ultra-high-speed line. It would be far more useful and far cheaper were it just an ordinary 100mph express line to add capacity to the UK rail network, with more stations and local services. Or spend the money on making the existing lines and stations take double-decker trains. Look at Switzerland. Their railways are as near perfect as any I’ve experienced. The one thing they don’t do, is 220mph trains.

Corruption. the EU budget has not been signed off by its auditors for twenty yeas. Also EU top brass salaries and expenses. Private jets hired for 200 mile journeys within Europe, and lots of suchlike. It’s not exactly corruption, because it’s within the rules! They are trying to keep it secret. We are paying for this, as one of the net-contributor countries.

Ban on recycled jam-jars. We used to keep jars we bought in the shops filled with jam or marmalade, wash them, sterilize them in the oven, fill them with home-made jam, and give the surplus to church fetes and suchlike. It’s now illegal for a church fete to sell jam that’s not been poured into a brand-new jam-jar.
The EU patent office. I’d need a couple of pages to explain, so Google if you need more. Corrupt and incompetent and working to the detriment of 99% of businesses (and to the benefit of large non-EU businesses).

The forthcoming death of most of the Ash trees in the UK. I don’t know if our politicians could have spotted the danger in time and banned imports of trees that carried the Ash die-back fungus to the UK, but before the EU the presumption was against the import of any living plants unless explicitly permitted. Now, it’s too late. The trees are dying. [Edit] now the disease that is wiping out olive groves in the EU has also been imported and is destroying lavender bushes.

The common fisheries policy. It mandated that if fish of the wrong species were caught accidentally, the dead fish had to be thrown overboard, and the fishermen carried on killing more fish, until they reached the “right” quotas of the “right” species.
Dieselgate. It’s all VW’s fault, they say. Oh, and Daimler. And Renault. And … Nothing to do with us. We just make the laws. I don’t believe them. At best they’re proved incompetent. At worst, in a smoke-filled room somewhere, they connived in a deception for the benefit of EU car-makers. And the funny thing is, that Japanese and
Korean makers seem to have managed to actually comply with the “impossible” regulations, which I’m sure were made as a non-tariff barrier to non-EU car imports.

Real cheese. Several cheeses formerly made with unpasteurized milk have been rendered unprofitable by impossibly tough regulation. The big commercial cheesemakers making bland imitations out of pasteurized milk are presumably behind the regulations. [Clarification, I did not say ALL cheeses made with unpasteurized milk. Parmesan is so made. But the regulations did drive many small cheese makers out of business].

[Edit, added since this answer was written] The EU has now officially introduced one law or regulation for the rich, and another for people who are not “high net worth” individuals as defined by the EU. I can no longer invest my money in USA-listed ETFs, supposedly for my protection. But I cannot opt out of being protected because I am not wealthy enough! (Also ETFs are collective investment vehicles that spread risk compared to buying individual shares). I regard this as a quite appalling precedent. What next will be denied to all people who are not millionaires?
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of- ... -in-the-UK

Oh, and Merkel deciding to ignore the Dublin Treaty, and abandon all rule of law in terms of immigration, and allow all those economic migrants, human traffickers, and sex offenders from not just Syria, but many other places, whilst the real vulnerable victims languished on the borders of Turkey and Jordan.

...and where were the EU whilst Yugoslavia was doing concentration camps?

It's important that people who have been lied to by the Remain establishment are open to challenging their assumptions about Leavers, it's the best way to reunite the country after the appalling divisiveness created by the elite puppetmasters of the Remain machine - do you really trust the likes of Juncker, Blair and Mandelsson?!

There's a bonfire of laws promulgated mainly under New Labour that needs lighting too:
https://www.thomsonreuters.com/en/press ... rexit.html
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

CaptainNemo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 pm
One that' I've personally encountered at work in the UK is explained here:
Every time you buy a new computer (or similar device) there’s yet another IEC cable (“kettle flex”) in the box. If you are replacing a PC you plug the old computer’s power cable into the new PC and throw the new cable into a heap of unused ones. It’s an EU law which makes it illegal to ship any such device without a power cable even if the power cable is detachable and could be sold separately or more sensibly, supplied free only if requested. The environmental cost of making and scrapping unused power cables must be enormous.
wut?
sorry, stopped reading here
does the old PC get trashed?
if not, what do they use for a power cable?
those cables are always breaking these days anyway, thanks china
sure it seems like a silly rule, but the intent is probably to ensure people get the correct cable for the device

EU mandated USB as the phone charge standard
do you remember the shit-show of proprietary phone chargers before that?
sure there's also plenty of idiocy, self-interest, corruption and so on
as with any organization

monstra mihi bona!
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

I'm bored now. Were you saying something?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

CaptainNemo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 pm I'm bored now. Were you saying something?
i was was saying
Êtes-vous parisien?

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic