Fishing with electricity

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Fishing with electricity

Post by GeeKay »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:53 pm
willyhilly wrote:Wife’s brother was killed fishing with electricity on Saturday afternoon. How do they do this, with a generator on a boat?
willyhilly wrote:Went to a Khmer birthday party at Trinity Beach on Sunday night. Lots of pretty girls and met another poster who I last had a drink with outside the Cavern, according to him. It was about 6 years ago. He lives with his missus and 8 year old son only a kilometer or so from our place.
Anyone else confused by what appears to be two completely different topics?
Yeh me.
"Money lost, Nothing lost......Confidence lost, Everything lost"
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:53 pm Anyone else confused by what appears to be two completely different topics?
Yes. I assume the mod edit of personal information has left us going WTF?
You could be next.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:03 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:53 pm Anyone else confused by what appears to be two completely different topics?
No one topic about fishing with electric. I just jumped in because I was with a few guys who was doing this on their land. Using very low voltage with not even a car battery, they have a stocked pond with pleantiful good fish and was clearing around not wanting these others getting into their stock. I just when alongside them so I could get some night photograph's since they knew their land, or should say lotus field's.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

a car battery might only be 12v but they can deliver many hundreds of amps. look for the cca (cold cranking amps) rating next time you are in your car engine bay. thats the power it can discharge in short busts to get your car started. 850cca is not uncommon.
add in an ignition coil (basically a transformer) and you can swap some amps for volts to get a nice powerful spark that will jump an air gap (as in your spark plug) ive had a few belts off an ht (high tension) lead and they are not fun.

https://www.lifewire.com/electrocuted-b ... ery-534763

add water into the mix and id say its possible to be killed by a shock from a car battery. especially if your heart is not in the best of condition.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

la8rat wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:51 pm a car battery might only be 12v but they can deliver many hundreds of amps. look for the cca (cold cranking amps) rating next time you are in your car engine bay. thats the power it can discharge in short busts to get your car started. 850cca is not uncommon.
add in an ignition coil (basically a transformer) and you can swap some amps for volts to get a nice powerful spark that will jump an air gap (as in your spark plug) ive had a few belts off an ht (high tension) lead and they are not fun.

https://www.lifewire.com/electrocuted-b ... ery-534763

add water into the mix and id say its possible to be killed by a shock from a car battery. especially if your heart is not in the best of condition.
People dont get electrocuted with 12 volts.

If you were to add an ordinary spark plug coil, this will not be something which would work for fishing with electricity they way they do it.

But there are other things which can be done, which can be used for fishing with electricity, and these would also be capable of killing humans.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

Dont they do it in a variety of ways? I thought id made it quite clear i was talking about a high tension shock powered by a car battery.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

la8rat wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:10 am Dont they do it in a variety of ways? I thought id made it quite clear i was talking about a high tension shock powered by a car battery.
That's what I was on about earlier, what I've seen is pretty much like this video from Vietnam. There must be some sort of coil or simple transformer or something to give it that zap.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:37 am
la8rat wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:10 am Dont they do it in a variety of ways? I thought id made it quite clear i was talking about a high tension shock powered by a car battery.
That's what I was on about earlier, what I've seen is pretty much like this video from Vietnam. There must be some sort of coil or simple transformer or something to give it that zap.

Id say for certain the girl in that video is not moving around so easily with a car battery in her bag. A 6v bike battery maybe but that would definitely need some kind of boost like a coil as you say.
Having said that i just found this vid
https://youtu.be/Hg1h80BAs38
a guy with a very similar looking setup to what the girl has.
You see him charge the battery and operate the switch..

Maybe fish are just soft fuckers and 12v does knock em out.
A handful of lime would be a dam site easier though.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:37 am

What a stuner :sign17: ............
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

By the way these fish are just stunned by these electric pulses from the battery, if they aren't picked up asap they will swim away.

You can't kill yourself with a car battery unless you swallow it. Yes you can get a large current but it's not magic. Power = amps x voltage, so extra amps are traded for proportionately fewer volts, the power will remain the same.

I don't know wtf OP's brother in law was doing, charging a big capacitor up or trying to use mains electricity etc?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic