Fishing with electricity

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Fishing with electricity

Post by Jcml19 »

Ummm... That's an unpleasant tidbit.

Ignorance is bliss but see a doctor now!!!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Surely you can’t get killed with the current from a car battery.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I lived in the swampy southern area of the capital for quite a while and often saw people out catching birds to sell for merit at shrines, lizards for medicine, rats for meat and also electrocuting fish. It's a simple enough set up. just a 12 volt battery in a backpack and a couple of wires and metal rods. Maybe there are some other circuits involved but having been in two different vehicles in the UK that went on fire while we were driving I have no doubts about the power of 12 volt batteries. Anyway, they tend to go for shallow water and culverts where they can stun the most fish. The fish float up to the surface and they grab the bigger ones. The problem is that after a short time anything bigger than a pinky finger is considered big, and the small fry that don't get picked up will likely die from the shock. The shocks also kill many other small animals around. That's why it's banned. I never heard of anyone fishing with explosives around there. Nets, electric shocks and poison draw less attention.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:53 pm Surely you can’t get killed with the current from a car battery.
Thats right. You wont get killed with the current from a 12 volt car battery.
John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:09 am Maybe there are some other circuits involved
You wont get killed with the current from a 12 volt car battery. There definitely has to be something else.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Thanks for the quick response. It maybe a possibility! Worthwhile looking into the problem. I have done research on this in the past, many people suffering in SE Asia. Thailand have taken this very serious, but here they seem not too. A friend has just returned to the States with this being his problem, now he is getting the treatment he needed, just recently the doctors have managed to get the parasites from his eye's. He had bought medicine here at one stage for $1 per pill, it does go on body waight also. The medicine as recently been banned from buying in this country. He is on the same back home and they cost him $300+ per pill.

Ummm... That's an unpleasant tidbit.

Ignorance is bliss but see a doctor now!!!
[/quote]
One thing I am not is ignorant, but you sound very well So, or may you be a doctor? Please refrain from answering like a riverside piss head.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:16 am
willyhilly wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:53 pm Surely you can’t get killed with the current from a car battery.
John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:09 am Maybe there are some other circuits involved
You wont get killed with the current from a 12 volt car battery. There definitely has to be something else.
Who do you mean by "you"? These are fish we are talking about here, and they don't have to die, just be stunned. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:17 amOne thing I am not is ignorant, but you sound very well So, or may you be a doctor? Please refrain from answering like a riverside piss head.
FYI you don't know what ignorance means.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Terry Fishsauce wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:35 am
AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:17 amOne thing I am not is ignorant, but you sound very well So, or may you be a doctor? Please refrain from answering like a riverside piss head.
FYI you don't know what ignorance means.
lack of knowledge or information, why would you say this^
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:09 am I never heard of anyone fishing with explosives around there. Nets, electric shocks and poison draw less attention.
That, and all of your previous post is pretty spot on JB.
However explosives are still used in remote areas, ( but probably much less than previously, when they were more available).

I quite often come across some of the most beautiful places on earth, unspoilt ponds in the forest, or hidden reaches where the estuaries meet the Cardamom streams, that have been blasted by dynamite. Recently.
Occasionally along the coast at night you hear the muffled explosions too, around the reefs.
Nightmare stuff.

Don't start me on the use of poison..
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:33 am
explorer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:16 am
Who do you mean by "you"? These are fish we are talking about here, and they don't have to die, just be stunned. :?
People get killed fishing with electricity. People dont get killed with 12 volts.
willyhilly wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:47 pm Wife’s brother was killed fishing with electricity on Saturday afternoon.
If the electricity was applied directly to the fish, they would also be killed. But because it is spread out over a large area of water, the fish only gets a small amount of electricity, and is stunned. In some cases, the fish may be permanently injured.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic