Chinese Media Reports Exodus From SHK

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese Media Reports Exodus From SHK

Post by Mishmash »

Duncan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm I smell another backflip coming.
Remind me to shed a (crocodile) tear for those whose rents went from $20k to a measly $8k.
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 pm
Remind me to shed a (crocodile) tear for those whose rents went from $20k to a measly $8k.
Same here Mishmash i have no sympathy for the greedy bsts...
just see apartments in SHV for 200 a month (were 350 few months ago) 130/150 before the invasion.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

adders28 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:29 pm
just see apartments in SHV for 200 a month (were 350 few months ago) 130/150 before the invasion.
Guess some of them will be regretting turfing out Westerners on short notice.

Pleeeeeasssse come back lickety lick...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Duncan wrote: ↑Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm
I smell another backflip coming.
i doubt it. the order comes from PRC.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

That's all very well and very altruistic, but, as a landlord, are you really going to keep renting your place out for $100pm when your neighbour is getting $400 for the same deal? Then someone offers you $500pm. Hmm. C'mon, be honest now. Is that greedy, or just human? And can you afford to turn down an extra $400pm because that makes you a better person ? :? There was also a good chance that your tenants who were paying you $100, would then turn around and sublet your place for $600.
This is not exaggerated. Shophouse shacks - 1 floor, 2 rooms - were renting for $1200pm two years ago in our area. Lol. Then they got bulldozed to build highrises. Things have moved so fast.

Looking at the situation from another POV.
Last year "people " were throwing very silly money around to rent places in SHV. There was no limit to what you could ask, and it was paid. I Know a few Khmer families who rented out their homes because they were offered crazy money, enough to pay off the mortgage for example. You owe 40,000 on your house and someone offers to rent it for $2000 a month for two years, you don't say no. You move into a crappy place at $300pm and keep the change. When the gold rush is over, two years later, you pack up and move back home, considerably richer. You've paid off the house, and have enough over to fix it up and buy new furniture after your barbarian tenants leave it as a shit-fest.
I really don't blame people for trying to make the best of the situation at the time. That doesn't make them bad or greedy.
If you weren't in SHV over these past two years, you really can't understand the amount of craziness that was going on.
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 pm
That's all very well and very altruistic, but, as a landlord, are you really going to keep renting your place out for $100pm when your neighbour is getting $400 for the same deal? Then someone offers you $500pm. Hmm. C'mon, be honest now. Is that greedy, or just human? And can you afford to turn down an extra $400pm because that makes you a better person ? :? There was also a good chance that your tenants who were paying you $100, would then turn around and sublet your place for $600.
This is not exaggerated. Shophouse shacks - 1 floor, 2 rooms - were renting for $1200pm two years ago in our area. Lol. Then they got bulldozed to build highrises. Things have moved so fast.

Last year "people " were throwing very silly money around to rent places in SHV. There was no limit to what you could ask, and it was paid. I Know a few Khmer families who rented out their homes because they were offered crazy money, enough to pay off the mortgage for example. You owe 40,000 on your house and someone offers to rent it for $2000 a month for two years, you don't say no. You move into a crappy place at $300pm and keep the change. When the gold rush is over, two years later, you pack up and move back home, considerably richer. You've paid off the house, and have enough over to fix it up and buy new furniture after your barbarian tenants leave it as a shit-fest.
I really don't blame people for trying to make the best of the situation at the time. That doesn't make them bad or greedy.
If you weren't in SHV over these past two years, you really can't understand the amount of craziness that was going on.
The ones i quoted above did not rent to chinese , prices went up to 350 and were all rented by westerners, where as very similar ones were rented to chinese for 700 -1000
my friends bar went from 500 a month to 4500, he left , now its just a pile of rubble, that was greed, now she has karma
They are starting to wish they had not alienated all the westerners now
ive been in sihanoukville for the last 8 years so ive seen all the craziness, planned to leave but may be able to stay now
here is an article from today
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50653599/o ... extension/
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

adders28 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 pm

The ones i quoted above did not rent to chinese , prices went up to 350 and were all rented by westerners, where as very similar ones were rented to chinese for 700 -1000
my friends bar went from 500 a month to 4500, he left , now its just a pile of rubble, that was greed, now she has karma
They are starting to wish they had not alienated all the westerners now
ive been in sihanoukville for the last 8 years so ive seen all the craziness, planned to leave but may be able to stay now
here is an article from today
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50653599/o ... extension/
ps many of us got kicked out early , they broke contracts so they could rent to chinese, thats greed and lack of morals , now they have an empty trashed house, karma is great!
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 pm I really don't blame people for trying to make the best of the situation at the time. That doesn't make them bad or greedy.
blame the game
not the player

monstra mihi bona!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It's a great post bro..

I think it's exactly what happened and I don't blame anyone. Neither do I cry when the bubble burst.

I do lament the way some tenants (apocryphal) were terminated early - that IS greed.
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:26 pm

It's a great post bro..

I think it's exactly what happened and I don't blame anyone. Neither do I cry when the bubble burst.

I do lament the way some tenants (apocryphal) were terminated early - that IS greed.
yep agree! i did not mind paying a hundred or so more (for smaller home too) as was market prices but cutting contracts or increasing from 500 to 4500 was total greed
we all said the bubble will burst just happened sooner rather than later
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic