Kayaking The 4000 Islands.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Kayaking The 4000 Islands.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

by Will and Ellie
7th August 2019

After an exciting journey down the rapids and narrow tributaries, we moored up again as the stream opened up into a wider river, which we later learned, marks the boundary between Cambodia and Laos....: “it’s undefined territory”!

Next thing we knew, we were paddling down some mini rapids and as the guides had predicted, one kayak got taken by the current and stuck on a particularly shallow rock, overturning the boat and emptying it of its passengers and their dry bags! Luckily, the river is extremely shallow and it was easy for them to right themselves, grab their bags and carry on downstream!

As we pulled up to a little island, we could see the dolphins in the distance. Incredibly and unexpectedly, they were chilling out in the currents the entire time we were there. Out of the 92 left in the wild, there are only 3 Irrawaddy Dolphins in this area. We were lucky enough to spot their dorsal fins breaking the surface every now and again while eating our lunch of fruit, fried rice and barbecued veggie and chicken skewers.

Shortly after crossing the bridge, we made it to Som Pha Mit Waterfall – the first highlight of our kayaking adventure. It’s named after the lost image of Buddha (Pha) which was accidentally dropped into the rushing water by the king of Laos as he was navigating the falls by boat. The waterfall is more commonly known to tourists as Li Phi Falls, which translates as ghost or spirit falls – a reference to what could happen if someone slipped into the water here!

full https://southeastasiabackpacker.com/kay ... ands-laos/
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Kayaking The 4000 Islands.

I spent two months living on the banks of Australia's longest river in 2012, the Murray River, as I paddled its length and would be interested in doing something similar on the Mekong. Anyone like extended kayaking journeys?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Lot of dams to get round
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

pczz wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:49 pm Lot of dams to get round
Portage isn't a particularly fun part of river journeys, it's true, though some consolation in doing Asian waterways would be the willingness of a few locals to hump gear, for a reasonable fee.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:14 pm
Portage isn't a particularly fun part of river journeys, it's true, though some consolation in doing Asian waterways would be the willingness of a few locals to hump gear, for a reasonable fee.
Mekong River is the longest river which is crossing Cambodia from the Northern part to the Southern part. It extends its body length in the measurement of 500 kilometres. So, let’s say from Stung Treng to Phnom Penh is obviously a shorter distance at 365 kilometres, but that would cut out the spectacular 4000 islands, but on the other hand would also cut out another visa or permits. I say this because when I lived up that way in Cambodia it was no trouble to pop over to Laos for the days shopping. Also, with my situation of living there at the time, the authorities would write me a paper allowing me to travel with my own boat for 7 days, the cost was 10,000reil.
Has for the Hydro dams I can only find the Lower SeSan 2 Dam on the SeSan River in Stung Treng Province, which itself is not on the Mekong.
I have not Kayaked for a number of years, and now I do miss doing so, its very enjoyable and helps very well towards one’s fitness. My certificates have unfortunately lapsed now, I was a qualified instructor in England, but most of my teachings were on the River Dordogne in southwestern France.
If it is navigable from Stung Treng to Phnom Penh the journey could be possibly achieved in around 18 days if doing 20 kilometres per day. Also, with reference to what you said “would be the willingness of a few locals to hump gear, for a reasonable fee”. Also too get the Kayak too the start point, again plenty of transport going that way.
Kung-fu Hillbilly is this appealing? If you ever get round to it, or something similar give me a call if you want a paddle companion. :hattip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:17 am
Mekong River is the longest river which is crossing Cambodia from the Northern part to the Southern part. It extends its body length in the measurement of 500 kilometres. So, let’s say from Stung Treng to Phnom Penh is obviously a shorter distance at 365 kilometres, but that would cut out the spectacular 4000 islands, ould be the willingness of a few locals to hump gear, for a reasonable fee”. Also too get the Kayak too the start point, again plenty of transport going that way.
Kung-fu Hillbilly is this appealing? If you ever get round to it, or something similar give me a call if you want a paddle companion. :hattip:
It's very appealing!! Since posting my interest in kayaking I've been discussing other journeys with another member who is also a very experienced Cambodia waterways kayaker as well. I've got to go out for an hour or so but will return to this.

Great to know there are a few of us water adventurers here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^ You should do more than 20 k/day Andy. even with a low flow.
One thing to consider here -
if the river is slow enough to kayak on the norther half, ie Laos border- Kratie, where the river runs faster.
then it may be a bit slow and boring for the southern bit. Kratie - PP.

North of Kratie is by far the best part. Beautiful.
Lots of islands in Stueng Treng - Kratie section. I could easily spend a whole dry season paddling and camping around there.
I skipped the southern part, the river was dropping fast, and slowing.
More agricultural setting, rather than natural, on the slower southern part.

Having said that, you could probably still do your 20 k/day with even a slowish flow on the southern section - by just sitting back under your umbrella and putting on a contented smile.
But the nthn part is the adventure bit.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:42 am ^^ You should do more than 20 k/day Andy. even with a low flow.
I averaged 35km a day on the Murray paddle with a couple 65km days thrown in which I didn't find particularly difficult, just long - kayaking into the night is an interesting way to experience a river.
Andy, do you know of anyone who hires out kayaks in Cambodia?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:42 am ^^ You should do more than 20 k/day Andy. even with a low flow.
One thing to consider here -
if the river is slow enough to kayak on the norther half, ie Laos border- Kratie, where the river runs faster.
then it may be a bit slow and boring for the southern bit. Kratie - PP.

North of Kratie is by far the best part. Beautiful.
Lots of islands in Stueng Treng - Kratie section. I could easily spend a whole dry season paddling and camping around there.
I skipped the southern part, the river was dropping fast, and slowing.
More agricultural setting, rather than natural, on the slower southern part.

Having said that, you could probably still do your 20 k/day with even a slowish flow on the southern section - by just sitting back under your umbrella and putting on a contented smile.
But the nthn part is the adventure bit.
SternAAlbifrons thanks for the knowledge and your experience of the river, it would be helpful for Kung-fu Hillbilly and others "like myself" to know more, and also have "first hands on people" whom have been there and done this before.
Quote - "You should do more than 20 k/day Andy. even with a low flow". Yes, only an example, also may like to stop and have a look at a few things on route, in saying this, it's possible that the persons doing the trip may want a day or two off also, could be various reasons, rest or to get food, gas and so on.
I agree in the north the current is to be questioned, I took a little time in the north some years ago - I built a little house on the riverbank, with no need for a fan, with it having the cool breeze from the river.

The bank opposite is Laos.

Good views.

The green boat 5.5 meter, I had made new for $100. I decided to have a swim one afternoon where the boats are, wow, the current was so strong that I was going no where! I would be very concerned if it was a capsize in the middle of the river with that type of strong current. Then again because of location a little down river were the falls.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:50 am
I averaged 35km a day on the Murray paddle with a couple 65km days thrown in which I didn't find particularly difficult, just long - kayaking into the night is an interesting way to experience a river.
Andy, do you know of anyone who hires out kayaks in Cambodia?
I don't! But I know of someone with a hotel who has a few, he was saying too me to come and play with the boats some time ago. I can ask if he would hire, but I would have thought not, due to damage or loss, but also how much would the rentals be! If planning some time rental maybe not far off cost. Then at least you have the option to keep or sell. Boats for sale Phnom Penh I think I saw some not long ago. I also asked a member on this forum not long ago, if he would consider bringing one from Bangkok for me, but that will involve import tax.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic