Nepal. A Blog.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Nepal. A Blog.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

An eternal vagabond.

By Kung-fu Hillbilly

That’s my leg. I accept it resembles an arm more than a leg, but what can I say, I don’t have manly calves. I’m heartened by an old Chinese proverb “Skinny legs, long life”. I’ve actually just made that up, but if in fact scrawny appendages do equate to a long life, I’m going to live for a long time it seems.

The compass etched into my skin represents who and what I see myself as - a journeyman, a traveler. Proudly and unashamedly my sense of identity lay deep within this lifestyle offering me a simple truth as to what or who I am. And although I’m many things other than an eternal vagabond, this innate desire to explore is integral to my well being -as important to my health and happiness as coffee and cumming.

Having a strong sense of identity gives me confidence, purpose, joy as well as discomfort - sacrifices have to be made to maintain this lifestyle’s integrity. And there are some things I accept I’ll never have, such as a nice house, an expensive car or any substantial financial wealth, but I willingly forego these modern day societal norms or expectations to cultivate and preserve who and what I believe I am.

There comes a freedom in this understanding, it’s liberating. I no longer require validation from others, I’m almost impervious to any condemnation or judgement of my life choices - my sail feels set true with only the occasional want of a fellow raconteur to raise a little hell with along the way, occasionally blowing me willingly into shallow or risky waters.

Perhaps if the dice were rolled again I might find myself herding caribou on the sub-arctic tundra, or painting my face before a night spent under the Big Top, or defending the rights of others before a system that serves them unjustly. But as it is, I sit here writing this blog introduction having just booked another flight to Thailand while also planning other soon to be had adventures.

It’s true, I’ve got skinny legs, but that tattoo carved into one of them represents an understanding that has held me up securely throughout most of my life - I’m a traveler, and I don’t want to be anything else.

And so I’m soon off to Nepal, this blog serving to document my upcoming two months in Kathmandu with the images and accompanying written word hopefully not too laborious an exercise for the reader to digest.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Nepal. A Blog.

Post by taabarang »

Happy travels and don't forget to keep us posted during your adventures.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

I've probably pulled the trigger a bit early starting the blog with a couple of weeks before I go, but I was bored.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

". But as it is, I sit here writing this blog introduction having just booked another flight to Thailand while also planning other soon to be had adventures."

Yeah, people with some adventure in their soul just don't let the moss start to grow on their ass. Wind to your back and keep scratching that itchy eye with your camera. There's a lot of jealous posters here and I'm one of them. Vicarious participation is poor but grateful company.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Hope you have a memorable journey without an earthquake this time.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I look forward to the read.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Long time since I have heard to word "journeyman", my father was such, the meaning, a worker, skilled in a given building trade or craft, who has successfully completed an official apprenticeship qualification. But saying this "Kung-fu Hillbilly" I think you meant the word in a different and obvious reason. You Sir are fitting for a journeyman, enjoy your travels and hope to be reading your blog soon.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

The first real morning of photography in Nepal was difficult in that it was very overcast, so looking for interesting light to play with was impossible. Added to that, the small lanes of Kathmandu where a lot of action can be found were dark with my camera struggling in the low light. All part of the learning, I guess.

Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

There's something about the chaos of it all that never gets old. Escaping the sterility of western living is a relief - one feels connected, alive, invigorated, stimulated, a participant in life.

Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

I've been having problems with my camera so had to send an SOS to my nephew (who is a real photographer) to help fix it. i thought Ii'd broken a lens, but no, just a newbie mistake with an iso settings. Moved to the outskirts of Kathmandu where the locals couldn't be more welcoming.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic