Gang of Cambodia Airport Thieves Arrested in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Gang of Cambodia Airport Thieves Arrested in Siem Reap

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Siem Reap, Cambodia Breaking News: Police detained five suspects after they were called in by the Siem Reap airport security, who saw suspicious behavior by Cambodia Airport employees when viewing their security cameras. Two actions of theft were caught on camera: one on August 25, 2019 at 10:55 pm, and the other on August 26, 2010 at 15:20, and the police began their investigation on 27 August.
Five male employees were arrested at the airport for suspected theft, and they all admitted to their crimes. They said that this was not the first time, and one of the suspects, Sovann Virak, confessed that he has been involved in at least 100 incidents of theft. The other men confessed to 40 or less criminal acts. They were opening people's luggage and stealing random items. Four other employees are believed to be involved and police are looking to arrest them.

The police force has sent the case to the Provincial Municipality and is continuing its research.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Gang of Cambodia Airport Thieves Arrested in Siem Reap

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Police are still searching...

September 17, 2019
More linked to Siem Reap baggage handler theft case
Police officers in Siem Reap province are looking to arrest more suspects linked to a case of Cambodia Airports baggage handlers who allegedly broke open passengers’ luggage and stole belongings at Siem Reap International Airport.

In August, provincial police arrested Sok Sokhorn, Sovann Virak, Run Ra, Dul Sovann, Rith Sarai and Eng Phai, following complaints from the airport’s security unit and Cambodia Airports.

The baggage handlers allegedly used penknives to cut luggage zips or break locks. Provincial police previously said the six confessed to committing the crime about 100 times.

Colonel Hang Sophat Phearom, chief of provincial police’s minor crimes bureau, yesterday said the baggage handlers had accomplices, but they are still at large.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50643755/m ... gage-case/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:30 pm Siem Reap, Cambodia Breaking News: Police detained five suspects after they were called in by the Siem Reap airport security, who saw suspicious behavior by Cambodia Airport employees when viewing their security cameras. Two actions of theft were caught on camera: one on August 25, 2019 at 10:55 pm, and the other on August 26, 2010 at 15:20, and the police began their investigation on 27 August.

Five male employees were arrested at the airport for suspected theft, and they all admitted to their crimes. They said that this was not the first time, and one of the suspects, Sovann Virak, confessed that he has been involved in at least 100 incidents of theft. The other men confessed to 40 or less criminal acts. They were opening people's luggage and stealing random items. Four other employees are believed to be involved and police are looking to arrest them.

The police force has sent the case to the Provincial Municipality and is continuing its research.

I guess they just wait till those employees turn up for work the next day. Problem solved.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

At least better than the TSA crook at Newark International Airport. He was in charge of running checked baggage through the X-ray machine and so knew exactly what valuables were in each one. And had the official TSA key to open any luggage.

Hope these scum spend a long time at Prey Sar.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:02 pm At least better than the TSA crook at Newark International Airport. He was in charge of running checked baggage through the X-ray machine and so knew exactly what valuables were in each one. And had the official TSA key to open any luggage.

Hope these scum spend a long time at Prey Sar.
Thieving is bad but beating a woman you state you are ot going to say if it right or wrong? One crime is non-violent the other is but the non-violent crime disgusts you and the violent crime you state you have no opinion if it was good or bad. A very odd set of values, one that places more priority on the property than human life.

I hope these men are punished, but men who beat women deserve a greater punishment than men who steal from rich foreigners.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Anthony's Weiner wrote:Thieving is bad but beating a woman you state you are ot going to say if it right or wrong? One crime is non-violent the other is but the non-violent crime disgusts you and the violent crime you state you have no opinion if it was good or bad. A very odd set of values, one that places more priority on the property than human life.

I hope these men are punished, but men who beat women deserve a greater punishment than men who steal from rich foreigners.
You obviously like to cross pollute threads with an axe to grind so you can feel morally superior.

For me, the math is simple. In Cambodia, do what the locals do. Think as the locals think. Cambodians clearly think stealing is bad. Not the same for wife beating.

So to continue your line of thought, if a Khmer boy in blue is beating his wife in the street, would you step in and tell him that as a foreigner you know better than him and that he should stop? Maybe you could throw in that his behavior to his wife disgusts you as well? And maybe say to his face that he should be punished for what he’s doing?

What one does and thinks and acts in the West is completely different to what one does in the KOW.

Just my humble opinion as an eternal tourist to the Kingdom of Wonder.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:11 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote:Thieving is bad but beating a woman you state you are ot going to say if it right or wrong? One crime is non-violent the other is but the non-violent crime disgusts you and the violent crime you state you have no opinion if it was good or bad. A very odd set of values, one that places more priority on the property than human life.

You obviously like to cross pollute threads with an axe to grind so you can feel morally superior.

For me, the math is simple. In Cambodia, do what the locals do. Think as the locals think. Cambodians clearly think stealing is bad. Not the same for wife beating.

So to continue your line of thought, if a Khmer boy in blue is beating his wife in the street, would you step in and tell him that as a foreigner you know better than him and that he should stop? Maybe you could throw in that his behavior to his wife disgusts you as well? And maybe say to his face that he should be punished for what he’s doing?

What one does and thinks and acts in the West is completely different to what one does in the KOW.

Just my humble opinion as an eternal tourist to the Kingdom of Wonder.
A lifetime spent as a chameleon, theft disgusts you in KOW, Mexicans disgust you in America. What you say on this forum is what you think a Khmer would say and in America you would say something different, what is expected.

Saying something is wrong is different than confronting a man beating his wife. And yes, I have confronted a man beating a woman, long ago it may have been and he then went to his car and retrieved a handgun. I am well aware of the dangers of intervening.

As to being morally superior, not that it would be difficult, I at least have a set of values and morals that do not change, regardless of the country I am in. I didn t eat dog in Vietnam, I don t in my own home. Cambodians do not think beating a woman is wrong? I pity your wife when you visit her. The math is simple as you say, you do as the locals do.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic