Going to Angkor for Pchum Benh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Going to Angkor for Pchum Benh

Post by rozzieoz »

Has anyone been to Angkor Wat or any of the other ancient temples for Pchum Benh?

Since I am moving to Siem Reap the week before, I've invited some Khmer friends to go to the temples over that weekend.
Any tips or advice will be appreciated.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Going to Angkor for Pchum Benh

Post by samrong01 »

I have been to Angkor Wat during a festival which I think was Phchum Benh. The traffic is bad even at the best of times and during a festival it is horrendous. Even on a small motor cycle the traffic was impenetrable and there was nowhere at all to park at the temples. I would suggest going to an ordinary temple during that time (they will all be crowded) and seeing Angkor Wat and the ancient temples at a quieter time.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Ha!

I hope you have great patience! At least you'll be with some Khmers that will be able to navigate the madness :)

Keep in mind that you have to purchase a ticket to go - $37 I believe is the current rate. Last time I went you could still purchase a ticket at the office on route 6 just slightly out of town on the way to the airport (on the left hand side - sorry I don't remember the businesses next to it). Its been a while so you'd want to ask around before going off to buy the ticket as I think someone told me they were thinking of moving the office - and take your passport for ticket purchase).

I don't want to turn you off from your idea but just be prepared for a long hot day.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I would say don’t go during any national holidays, it’s torturous. If you must endure the torture I would go very early but not for the sunrise viewing because that gets too many people as well in the main viewing area.

It’s tough as you’d like to get on the piss at night but also go to temples early next day. When sun is full blast mid day and crowds peak it’s rough.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I love Pchum Ben and I love the temples.
I’m not asking to be convinced not to go lol.

I was more asking for specific places to go for making offerings etc.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

There is kind of a "mud daube" Buddha--that's what we used to call it, near Angkor Wat, in a dark, cavelike area. I wish I could remember where. I could review my records. Great place to offer. I'll look for photos later.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Cinnamoncat wrote:There is kind of a "mud daube" Buddha--that's what we used to call it, near Angkor Wat, in a dark, cavelike area. I wish I could remember where. I could review my records. Great place to offer. I'll look for photos later.
There’s a room in SR at my place if you ever want to visit the temples.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:00 pm I love Pchum Ben and I love the temples.
I’m not asking to be convinced not to go lol.

I was more asking for specific places to go for making offerings etc.
You might be interested in a temple out near the airport. If you go to the airport and continue on around the perimeter road you eventually come to a large temple complex. Its very popular for offering prayers and, although its not ancient, I believe it is old with a long history. Your Khmer friends may know more about it. It will be crowded but not too difficult to get in. There are of course lots of other temples in the countryside but I dont know how to describe the way.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

samrong01 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:27 pm I have been to Angkor Wat during a festival which I think was Phchum Benh. The traffic is bad even at the best of times and during a festival it is horrendous. Even on a small motor cycle the traffic was impenetrable and there was nowhere at all to park at the temples. I would suggest going to an ordinary temple during that time (they will all be crowded) and seeing Angkor Wat and the ancient temples at a quieter time.
Will be crowded and expensive. Think Sr has taken over as the destination of choice for khmer and public holidays. For some reaon they dont seem to enjoy Sihanoukville as much as they used to :stir:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

pczz wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:11 am Will be crowded and expensive. Think Sr has taken over as the destination of choice for khmer and public holidays. For some reaon they dont seem to enjoy Sihanoukville as much as they used to :stir:
That's ok, I have plenty of money and I don't mind crowds.
My Khmer friends are coming from Phnom Penh and have never been to Angkor, so that will make it overly wonderful.

I just love the way someone posts advice on where to go and what to do - and the advice given is - it's too hot, too crowded and you won't be able to afford it.
Bloody sad, miserable existence some of you have.

I am taking some friends on an adventure and want to make it as awesome as possible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic