Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 7037
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 1732
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by Duncan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Mishmash wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:42 pm
Phnom Poon wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:27 pm
Mishmash wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:58 pm
I call you out

I am not an angel as anyone who knows me will agree - in fact i am an obnoxious twat but start a straw man and i call you out. the guy was caught fair and square being a ponce of a nonce. my argument is not with the best of CEO like rozzie and jamie and jb but with anyone who can defend what happened - sorry about that but all my friends in cambodia hate these people - no need arguments. i agree due process
call out what?
your post just says "trust the police, I'm 100% sure"
the officlal report has already changed in the space of a day, and is still vague
let's see
Call out YOU for a a start hey!!!

John Henry Carr, a 70-year-old Australian (bar owner), Shane Alan Robins, a 60-year-old British man (bar manager), and Cambodian Nop Ratana, a 29-year-old woman, girlfriend of the owner.)

The four suspects were arrested by the Ministry of Interior’s Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department on August 26, 2019 in a crackdown on the BUNNY bar in the neighborhood of Wat Phnom, Daun Penh District, Phnom Penh.

During the search, the authorities rescued eight Cambodian women, including minors.

The crackdown came after reports from people living near the BUNNY bar were abusing children and engaging in sex trafficking.

Not in court for fuck all are they???

Get real

I often wonder how many newspapers would be sold if the news paper reports were 100 % accurate.

I will use this as an example.

Correction, it seems there was one shooter who fired three shots. (Not three men who fired one shot.)
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 877
Cambodia

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by Mishmash » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Sure - i agree..

They were still in court though - anyone wanna defend them can go and make a statement. and I stick by our police and all involved the raid. good work!!!
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 180
Great Britain

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by Yerg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:08 pm

Phnom Poon wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 pm
Mishmash wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:42 pm
Call out YOU for a a start hey!!!
call me for what?
you seem quite sure they employed minors, from just the PPP report?
as i said, let's see
i find it unbelievable, but maybe i'm just naive
it seems sure they were offering "extras" on site, which is reason for a bust
i hear that was going on for years though, and no different to virtually every massage place
I agree that it's possible extras were available on site. It isn't the first, and I'm damn sure it's not the last. I can think of a number of bars that had "relaxation" areas. And no, it's no different to the $3 massage parlours. The number of under-18's has yet to be established, and as I said earlier, let the process unfold. There's nothing more that we can do until such time as the facts become available. To hang, draw and quarter anyone without the facts is inherently unfair, no matter what our personal opinions might be. I reiterate that I defend no nonces, but I do believe that the process should be allowed to unfold. I've never been to Bunny Bar, so speak from a position of weakness.

Moving on, why don't we speak about potential remedies to avoid young girls/ladies being employed in these places to try and put a halt to their exposure to these risks. It'll be far more constructive than speculation right now.
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 231
Kiribati

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by Phnom Poon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 pm

Yerg wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:08 pm
Phnom Poon wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 pm
Mishmash wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:42 pm
Call out YOU for a a start hey!!!
call me for what?
you seem quite sure they employed minors, from just the PPP report?
as i said, let's see
i find it unbelievable, but maybe i'm just naive
it seems sure they were offering "extras" on site, which is reason for a bust
i hear that was going on for years though, and no different to virtually every massage place
I agree that it's possible extras were available on site. It isn't the first, and I'm damn sure it's not the last. I can think of a number of bars that had "relaxation" areas. And no, it's no different to the $3 massage parlours. The number of under-18's has yet to be established, and as I said earlier, let the process unfold. There's nothing more that we can do until such time as the facts become available. To hang, draw and quarter anyone without the facts is inherently unfair, no matter what our personal opinions might be. I reiterate that I defend no nonces, but I do believe that the process should be allowed to unfold. I've never been to Bunny Bar, so speak from a position of weakness.

Moving on, why don't we speak about potential remedies to avoid young girls/ladies being employed in these places to try and put a halt to their exposure to these risks. It'll be far more constructive than speculation right now.
indeed it only takes 20 minutes to do a random police roll-call once a month to check IDs and sniff around for anything untoward
could be part of the tea-collection-party

.

monstra mihi bona!
User avatar
kgbagent
Expatriate
Posts: 704
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm
Reputation: 160
Cambodia

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by kgbagent » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 pm

MarkNZ wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:48 pm
mouytiet wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:16 pm
Ive known Shane for years and I find this all very hard to believe, more to this than meets the eye do think.
I know Shane too he’s a great bloke saved my ass one night in Sihanoukville when my hair caught fire.
As they say ... the plot thickens
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 180
Great Britain

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by Yerg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:25 pm

Jerry Atrick wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:27 pm
Yerg wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:54 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 pm
It's not illegal to employ minors in bar/hospitality here.

However, as we all know, to facilitate, enable, coerce or force somebody into sex work is illegal. Its made worse if that person is underage.

Interested to see what happens here.

Could establish a precedent that closes all bars and beer gardens and KTV joints in the whole country, lol.
How to fix Jerry?

A simple rule of no one under 18 working in a bar of any description? It would be a start, no?

An old pal of mine ran a regular bar (not Riverside). He had two staff in the kitchen who were under 18. They sometimes came front of house to serve food. But if you instigate 18+, these poor kids would be out of work.

Where do the authorities start?

Yeah, I guess a solid work safe policy would be a start.

Personally, when I owned my bar, hiring minors was not considered.

I even balked at the teen kids of some customers hanging around too much without their folks around.
If we leave the hostess bars out of this for a second, there are far too many kids running around bars unsupervised while their parents eat/drink. I remember a time when a friend of mine had his kids in a bar, they were haring around and one tripped over my chair, fell and screamed the place down. The father (Aussie) started yelling at me for hurting his kid. I told him "it's your kid and your responsibility, not mine". His Khmer wife came out from the back to start dressing me down for hurting their kid, when neither of them were supervising their own children. I said exactly the same to her as I did him. They continued moaning until other patrons joined in to say that the responsibilty was their's, not mine. It's not like I did it on purpose, and it wan't even something I had done to cause it.

Anyhoo, let's move back to the hostess bars. I can think of at least three bars I have visited, where kids of the owners/staff are in attendance, and were often used as part of the "entertainment". I recall one bar where a young male kid was put on the bar to dance to a certain tune. It was funny for the Mom until he fell off the bar and damn near crowned himself.

Until attitudes change on this score, we'll never see a remedy. Kids/youngsters should not be around licensed premises, IMHO.
aussieexpat84
Tourist
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:32 am
Reputation: 2
Australia

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by aussieexpat84 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 pm

If any underage females/males were working and offering sex under Articles 26 and 27 of the Law on the Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation will be looking at a hefty prison sentence in addition to being listed on international cooperative platform for human trafficking and prostitution

I will say this.... Bunny Bar has not had a good reputation in its latest months since it was sold by the shooters bar owner

I do hope that 2 foreigners hadn't participated or had knowledge of their actual age but if they did..they will not be welcome in most places from now on
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 180
Great Britain

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by Yerg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:32 pm

Phnom Poon wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 pm
Yerg wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:08 pm
Phnom Poon wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 pm
Mishmash wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:42 pm
Call out YOU for a a start hey!!!
call me for what?
you seem quite sure they employed minors, from just the PPP report?
as i said, let's see
i find it unbelievable, but maybe i'm just naive
it seems sure they were offering "extras" on site, which is reason for a bust
i hear that was going on for years though, and no different to virtually every massage place
I agree that it's possible extras were available on site. It isn't the first, and I'm damn sure it's not the last. I can think of a number of bars that had "relaxation" areas. And no, it's no different to the $3 massage parlours. The number of under-18's has yet to be established, and as I said earlier, let the process unfold. There's nothing more that we can do until such time as the facts become available. To hang, draw and quarter anyone without the facts is inherently unfair, no matter what our personal opinions might be. I reiterate that I defend no nonces, but I do believe that the process should be allowed to unfold. I've never been to Bunny Bar, so speak from a position of weakness.

Moving on, why don't we speak about potential remedies to avoid young girls/ladies being employed in these places to try and put a halt to their exposure to these risks. It'll be far more constructive than speculation right now.
indeed it only takes 20 minutes to do a random police roll-call once a month to check IDs and sniff around for anything untoward
could be part of the tea-collection-party
That said (and I don't disagree), what about the fake ID's that are abound? It is a bloody minefield. I make no excuses for offenders, but it's not exactly the easiest thing to police. There must be a better way to protect youngsters? There must be. The police have an unforgivable job, have to take things on face-value. Then if a girl turns out to be underaged, they get roasted.

I count myself lucky to have never frequented a bar that had obviously underage staff. Guess I just got lucky.
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 180
Great Britain

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by Yerg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:35 pm

aussieexpat84 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 pm
If any underage females/males were working and offering sex under Articles 26 and 27 of the Law on the Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation will be looking at a hefty prison sentence in addition to being listed on international cooperative platform for human trafficking and prostitution

I will say this.... Bunny Bar has not had a good reputation in its latest months since it was sold by the shooters bar owner

I do hope that 2 foreigners hadn't participated or had knowledge of their actual age but if they did..they will not be welcome in most places from now on
Who gets the hefty prison sentence? The underage or the enabler/facilitator?

The owner/manager can't have been so naive as to not have any knowledge, IMO, however I maintain that the process has to evolve and the truth will (hopefully) come out.
User avatar
kgbagent
Expatriate
Posts: 704
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm
Reputation: 160
Cambodia

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by kgbagent » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:50 pm

The older ID cards were hopeless with very vague and grainy photos that enabled Khmers to get jobs both domestically and abroad. I know at least a dozen who worked overseas on brothers or sisters ID and passports. The newest ones are much more legible, and there are now govt databases to make it more effective, however I wouldn't trust any Khmer ID card unless they looked well over age of consent. Caveat Emptor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andy S Tawatin, angsta, chinesetakeaway, Cooldude, Duncan, Exabot [Bot], General Mackevili, jimpson, Kammekor, King Keil, lipservice, MSN [Bot], Old8404, PIEMAN, zillah and 850 guests