Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by Phnom Poon »

especially massa

monstra mihi bona!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by Arget »

Considering who owns most of these establishments i would think a mass closure is unlikely.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 pm It's not illegal to employ minors in bar/hospitality here.

However, as we all know, to facilitate, enable, coerce or force somebody into sex work is illegal. Its made worse if that person is underage.

Interested to see what happens here.

Could establish a precedent that closes all bars and beer gardens and KTV joints in the whole country, lol.
How to fix Jerry?

A simple rule of no one under 18 working in a bar of any description? It would be a start, no?

An old pal of mine ran a regular bar (not Riverside). He had two staff in the kitchen who were under 18. They sometimes came front of house to serve food. But if you instigate 18+, these poor kids would be out of work.

Where do the authorities start?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I call you out

I am not an angel as anyone who knows me will agree - in fact i am an obnoxious twat but start a straw man and i call you out. the guy was caught fair and square being a ponce of a nonce. my argument is not with the best of CEO like rozzie and jamie and jb but with anyone who can defend what happened - sorry about that but all my friends in cambodia hate these people - no need arguments. i agree due process
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:58 pm I call you out

I am not an angel as anyone who knows me will agree - in fact i am an obnoxious twat but start a straw man and i call you out. the guy was caught fair and square being a ponce of a nonce. my argument is not with the best of CEO like rozzie and jamie and jb but with anyone who can defend what happened - sorry about that but all my friends in cambodia hate these people - no need arguments. i agree due process
I presume you mean me. Call me out all you want. I've never (nor will I) defend a nonce. I abhor them as much as you. Sadly there are some who will defend them. There is a process, it will be followed and we'll see what happens. Unfortunately, there is so much murk, that none of us really know everything. I'll stick to being an outsider looking in, and hope the authorities nail any f***er that exploits women or (especially) kids. The evidence will speak for itself when it becomes clear and available.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Sorry not you yerg. not at all. is the other(s) above who think our police are stupid and wrong. sorry mr yerg.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

call out what?
your post just says "trust the police, I'm 100% sure"
the officlal report has already changed in the space of a day, and is still vague
let's see

monstra mihi bona!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yerg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:54 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 pm It's not illegal to employ minors in bar/hospitality here.

However, as we all know, to facilitate, enable, coerce or force somebody into sex work is illegal. Its made worse if that person is underage.

Interested to see what happens here.

Could establish a precedent that closes all bars and beer gardens and KTV joints in the whole country, lol.
How to fix Jerry?

A simple rule of no one under 18 working in a bar of any description? It would be a start, no?

An old pal of mine ran a regular bar (not Riverside). He had two staff in the kitchen who were under 18. They sometimes came front of house to serve food. But if you instigate 18+, these poor kids would be out of work.

Where do the authorities start?

Yeah, I guess a solid work safe policy would be a start.

Personally, when I owned my bar, hiring minors was not considered.

I even balked at the teen kids of some customers hanging around too much without their folks around.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:27 pm

call out what?
your post just says "trust the police, I'm 100% sure"
the officlal report has already changed in the space of a day, and is still vague
let's see
Call out YOU for a a start hey!!!

John Henry Carr, a 70-year-old Australian (bar owner), Shane Alan Robins, a 60-year-old British man (bar manager), and Cambodian Nop Ratana, a 29-year-old woman, girlfriend of the owner.)

The four suspects were arrested by the Ministry of Interior’s Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department on August 26, 2019 in a crackdown on the BUNNY bar in the neighborhood of Wat Phnom, Daun Penh District, Phnom Penh.

During the search, the authorities rescued eight Cambodian women, including minors.

The crackdown came after reports from people living near the BUNNY bar were abusing children and engaging in sex trafficking.

Not in court for fuck all are they???

Get real
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:42 pm Call out YOU for a a start hey!!!
call me for what?
you seem quite sure they employed minors, from just the PPP report?
as i said, let's see
i find it unbelievable, but maybe i'm just naive
it seems sure they were offering "extras" on site, which is reason for a bust
i hear that was going on for years though, and no different to virtually every massage place

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic